Surname "Balashazi", Baptismal term "Hazi" in Jordan River?

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
      I would like verification from this community on information I have heard past through the family on the suffix "Hazi".  My great, great grandparents I was told had the "hazi" added to their last name of Balas because of the father was baptized in the Jordan River.  I checked with my brother-in-law who is from Palestine, and he told me the "hazi" means to immerse into water in his language.  The father then can pass this down to his children.  Can anyone verify this, and have other members of the community had this added to their surname?  If this is indeed correct, how would one find out how they got to the Jordan River, they are from Vel'aty, Slovakia.  Are there ship documents on such journeys made by families?
      I would like to clear up this matter and set the records straight.   Thank you.  Jane

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
        Dear Jane:

        The surname BALASHAZI (BALASHAZAI) essentially means "people/men/family"
        from Balásháza. Records in Hungary were official written in Latin from the
        beginning of the kingdom of Hungary until 1844-1849, and the "i" at the end
        of the name generally indicates a place of origin. For example, the words
        "Ungarii" and "Ungari" means "people from Hungary" or "Hungarians" and the
        names "Germanii" and "Germani" in Latin mean "people from Germany" or
        "Germans," etc. Please also be aware that the "ii" or "i" have often been
        transliterated in Hungarian as a "y" or "yi" (these endings are very common
        among Hungarians for the reason stated above), so please be aware that
        BALASHAZI surname may also be spelled BALASHAZY, BALASZHAZYI, BALASZHAZI, and
        BALASZHAZYI, etc.

        The root of the name Balásház literally means "Balás's House" from the
        Hungarian name Balás (originally from the Latin name "Blaze") and the word
        "ház literally means "house" in Hungarian. There is a village called Balásháza
        (also spelled Balászháza) in Romania, which is known as "Blaj" in Romanian.

        I've researched the Latin records in the Hungarian Archives ARCANUM
        database (accessible through Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
        (http://www.iabsi.com) ) and BALASHAZ* (with the wildcard asterisk) comes back with
        58 results. Whether these are related to your family is another matter,
        but there may there may be a link to them.

        I hope that this helps a little.

        Best regards,

        David

        In a message dated 3/4/2012 2:02:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        jmurray6475@... writes:

        I would like verification from this community on information I have heard
        past through the family on the suffix "Hazi". My great, great grandparents
        I was told had the "hazi" added to their last name of Balas because of the
        father was baptized in the Jordan River. I checked with my brother-in-law
        who is from Palestine, and he told me the "hazi" means to immerse into
        water in his language. The father then can pass this down to his children.
        Can anyone verify this, and have other members of the community had this
        added to their surname? If this is indeed correct, how would one find out how
        they got to the Jordan River, they are from Vel'aty, Slovakia. Are there
        ship documents on such journeys made by families?
        I would like to clear up this matter and set the records straight. Thank
        you. Jane

      • Elaine
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
          David,

          I appreciated reading your comments on the "i" "ii" endings on Latin records that became "yi" in Hungarian. In some of the Latin records I researched for my families in eastern Slovakia, I often came across an ending of "ij" (IJ)-- at least that's how I deciphered what looked like a "y" with a dot over each prong. Have you seen that variation?

          Elaine

          On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:00 PM, david1law@... wrote:

          > Dear Jane:
          >
          > The surname BALASHAZI (BALASHAZAI) essentially means "people/men/family"
          > from Balásháza. Records in Hungary were official written in Latin from the
          > beginning of the kingdom of Hungary until 1844-1849, and the "i" at the end
          > of the name generally indicates a place of origin. For example, the words
          > "Ungarii" and "Ungari" means "people from Hungary" or "Hungarians" and the
          > names "Germanii" and "Germani" in Latin mean "people from Germany" or
          > "Germans," etc. Please also be aware that the "ii" or "i" have often been
          > transliterated in Hungarian as a "y" or "yi" (these endings are very common
          > among Hungarians for the reason stated above), so please be aware that
          > BALASHAZI surname may also be spelled BALASHAZY, BALASZHAZYI, BALASZHAZI, and
          > BALASZHAZYI, etc.
          >
          > The root of the name Balásház literally means "Balás's House" from the
          > Hungarian name Balás (originally from the Latin name "Blaze") and the word
          > "ház literally means "house" in Hungarian. There is a village called Balásháza
          > (also spelled Balászháza) in Romania, which is known as "Blaj" in Romanian.
          >

          > I've researched the Latin records in the Hungarian Archives ARCANUM
          > database (accessible through Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
          > (http://www.iabsi.com) ) and BALASHAZ* (with the wildcard asterisk) comes back with
          > 58 results. Whether these are related to your family is another matter,
          > but there may there may be a link to them.
          >
          > I hope that this helps a little.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > David
          >

          > In a message dated 3/4/2012 2:02:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > jmurray6475@... writes:
          >

          > I would like verification from this community on information I have heard
          > past through the family on the suffix "Hazi". My great, great grandparents
          > I was told had the "hazi" added to their last name of Balas because of the
          > father was baptized in the Jordan River. I checked with my brother-in-law
          > who is from Palestine, and he told me the "hazi" means to immerse into
          > water in his language. The father then can pass this down to his children.
          > Can anyone verify this, and have other members of the community had this
          > added to their surname? If this is indeed correct, how would one find out how
          > they got to the Jordan River, they are from Vel'aty, Slovakia. Are there
          > ship documents on such journeys made by families?
          > I would like to clear up this matter and set the records straight. Thank
          > you. Jane

        • Ladislav Rosival
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
            Hallo, I think there was a time when when a „y“ was written with with two points over it. It was also common to write a point over the number „1“.

            On the other hand „ij“ can be a valid ending especialy in eastern Slovakia.

            Like in many other things there is no general rule.

            Ladislav

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
              Dear Elaine:

              Yes, I have seen the ending "ij" in various records, and when I just did a
              search now in the ARCANUM database for B*IJ (* wildcard asterisk), I came
              up with 54 instances of this sequence, and these date back in time to at
              least the 12th century (1196), where there was mention of the name "BYSSENIJ"
              which is elsewhere spelled "BYSSENI" and "BYSSENIJ" which is the name for
              the PECHENEGS, a Turkish tribe that came to Hungary in ancient times:

              _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechenegs_
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechenegs)

              And in keeping with the earlier theme, of those 54 instances, 13 of those
              were the spelling of the name "BLASIJ" for "BLASII" including a reference to
              Saint Blaise as "SANCTI BLASIJ."

              Throughout my research endeavors for about the past ten years, I have ended
              up having to study up a bit on languages, especially Latin and Greek, as
              well as linguistics. One has to very careful in drawing certain
              conclusions, however, because sometimes, there may be words which are sound the same
              (homophones) and sometimes even spelled the same, but have very different
              meanings. Here is a good article from Wikipedia that gives a pretty good
              description and illustrations:

              _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone_
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone)

              I believe that the "IJ" ending probably originated from a mistranscription
              of the original Latin because of bad penmanship and/or a misreading of the
              original Latin, and/or both, etc.

              By the way, the Slavic languages as well as the Hungarian language have
              declensions with different cases (such as nominative, genitive, dative,
              accusative, etc.) where the endings change based on the context of what is being
              written. The Latin and Greek languages also have declensions, and I
              recently found what I believe is the reason why a lot of the Slavic names end in
              the -OV and -OVA. In some cases, it appears to be a Latin
              mistranscription from the Greek letter NU which in its small case looks like a small "v"
              or a "u". In other words, the scribe knew Latin (but did not know Greek)
              and therefore transcribed the ending as "-OV" and "OVA" instead of the Greek
              "-ON" and "ONA" and

              I noticed the pattern in some of the Greek declension tables (see the
              illustration of the Second Declension):

              _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar_(tables_
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar_(tables) )

              Best regards,