Re: [S-R] Re: Gajdos/Lahita Jenkovce Slovakia ?other jewish records

  • vera holman
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 29 7:50 PM
      Hello Friends,
      It is with great interest when I read all the e-messages I have been
      getting about Slovakia , and surnames that go with it.

      I was going through all the past print-outs today, instead of checking the
      messages. I came upon a print-out entitled. *THE CHICKEN SOUP
      CONNECTION. BY Mark Westphal. " My story of researching and finding my
      Slovakian family."*
      *pg.13*
      *" We decided to visit the church in the town of Malà Hradnà*
      *in which Emil and Julia were married in 1930. This is the local parish
      church where everyone attended mass once a month and where all baptisms and
      weddings were performed. It is about three miles from Dolnè Drzkovce and I
      imagined the Zitta and Gajdos families walking along the country roads.
      Above these words is a picture of Emil Zitta and Julia Gajdos, my
      grandparents on their wedding day. *
      **
      *Hope it gives some closure to someone.*
      *Blessings, Vera B. Holman ( Sabo, Beley)*

    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
        The nearest archive to Povazska Bystrica is in Bytca.  However, I am not familiar with the extent of its holdings.

        The old Jewish cemetery in Povazska Bystrica existed at least as late as the 1970s.  My friend told me about playing there as a boy.  Now that location is underneath the footings of the new highway built in about 2009.

        Margo

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
          I have a book on the Slovak Archives. The State Regional Archives in Bytca: Records of Small Town Administrate Office at Povazska Bystrica 1855-1922, Ecclesiastical Organizations – Jewish Religion Community in Liptovsky Mikulas 1761-1860.

          Drietoma,Trenčianske Stankovce,Trenčín are the three towns in Trencin County that has Jewish records.

          International Jewish Cemetery Project International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies:
          Povazska Bystrica is located in Povazska Bystrica, W of Zilina. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. 20-100 19th-20th century marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped tombstones (some with carved relief decorations) or finely smoothed and inscribed stones, with Hebrew and German inscriptions, are in original locations. Private visitors stop rarely. Vandalism is a moderate threat; vegetation is a serious threat, disturbing stones and graves. Security, weather erosion and pollution are minor threats. http://zilina-gallery.sk/index.php?/category/1749/ Photographs of the cemetery.