Gajdos/Lahita Jenkovce Slovakia ?

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012
      Family Search record for Sobrance, Jenkovce, 1823-1877, image 220, line 27. Marriage record of Michael Gajdos & Maria Lahita.  What town is he from?  Looks like  "a Nemr th? sub ?"  She is from Jenkovce.  Thanks again, Jane

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012
        Jane,
        The handwriting is not the best and it is abbreviated. He is from Also Nemethi; today's village of Nizne Nemecke. It is the village immediately East of Jenkovce. A very short distance.

        Curt B.

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
          Curt,
          All the recordings in those books are very hard to read. There are no records in Sobrance or Kosice for that village. I checked for the village in Family search, nothing under the village name.  I am grateful that I have more information than anyone in the family, they will be thrilled with the information I have.  Thanks again for your assistance.  Jane

          ________________________________
          The handwriting is not the best and it is abbreviated. He is from Also Nemethi; today's village of Nizne Nemecke. It is the village immediately East of Jenkovce. A very short distance.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

          > Family Search record for Sobrance, Jenkovce, 1823-1877, image 220, line 27. Marriage record of Michael Gajdos & Maria Lahita.  What town is he from?  Looks like  "a Nemr th? sub ?"  She is from Jenkovce.  Thanks again, Jane

        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
            The next towns to the east were Also-Nemethi and Felso-Nemethi (apologies for the lack of accent marks). Could one of them be a possibility?

            Sue

            Family Search record for Sobrance, Jenkovce, 1823-1877, image 220, line 27. Marriage record of Michael Gajdos & Maria Lahita. What town is he from? Looks like "a Nemr th? sub ?" She is from Jenkovce. Thanks again, Jane

          • John
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
              >>> I checked for the village in Family search, nothing under the village name. <<<

              Which RELIGION?
            • John
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                >>> There are no records in Sobrance or Kosice for that village. I checked for the village in Family search, nothing under the village name. <<<

                GC perhaps?

                LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Vyšnie Nemecké, Slovakia, formerly Felső-Németi, Ung, Hungary.
              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                  Jane,
                  The Roman Catholic records for Nizne Nemecke are already included in the records of Jenkovce that you are looking at. That is the whole point of mentioning the village in the location column. It says right there that they are part of this record!

                  Members of the Reformed Church of Nizne Nemecke are included in those of the Reformed Church records of Jenkovce.

                  Greek Catholics of Nizne Nemecke are included in the Greek records of Vysne Nemecke.

                  The Jewish population of Nizne Nemecke are included with the Jewish records of Bezovce.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                    >>> Greek Catholics of Nizne Nemecke are included in the Greek records of Vysne Nemecke. <<<

                    The relevant years are in Cyrillic. Perhaps we will be advised who/when exactly to look for in the birth records.
                  • Sue Martin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                      Curt, where does one find out about the location of other Jewish records, from other towns in Slovakia? I'm thinking primarily about Povazska Bystrica and surroundings.

                      Sue

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                        On the Tarkulich site, you can look up the Gazeteers and go from there. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                          Is there a similar resource for western or central Slovakia?

                          Sue

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                            Thank you.

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                              >>> Is there a similar resource for western or central Slovakia? <<<

                              It's the same resource.
                            • Sue Martin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                This is the subtitle of the site when I link to it:

                                Developing effective approaches to ancestral research in Eastern Slovakia

                                Sue

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                  Sorry, I thought that you were referring to The 1877 Dvorzsák Gazetteer.

                                  Tarkulich's references cover all of Slovakia pretty well. His family is from the northeastern corner.

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

                                  > This is the subtitle of the site when I link to it:
                                  >
                                  > Developing effective approaches to ancestral research in Eastern Slovakia
                                  >
                                  > Sue

                                • William C. Wormuth
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                    http://jewishwebindex.com/slovakia.htm

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                      Sue,
                                      I don't know what happened to the Jewish records of the great synogogue of Podvazska Bystrica which covered the surrounding communities. I have a lot of location notes for Jewish records but not these. They are not listed on the LDS site at all. Dvorak Gazetteer which someone suggested is hopeless for locating actual Jewish records.

                                      Most Slovak or Hungarian sources are incomplete and often in error when it comes to Jewish records. I recommend the following as the only practical choice.

                                      The only complete and verified "Index to the Jewish vital statistic records of Slovakia", was prepared by New York genealogist Jordan Auslander and is available for borrowing on microfiche at Family history centers. It is film FHL INTL fiche 6414537. If any records survive, Auslander will list them. It is unfortunately not online.

                                      Curt B.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                        Thanks, Curt. I'll request the film.

                                        Sue

                                        Sent from my Verizon Wireless Device

                                        CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:

                                        >Sue,
                                        >I don't know what happened to the Jewish records of the great synogogue of Podvazska Bystrica which covered the surrounding communities. I have a lot of location notes for Jewish records but not these. They are not listed on the LDS site at all. Dvorak Gazetteer which someone suggested is hopeless for locating actual Jewish records.
                                        >
                                        >Most Slovak or Hungarian sources are incomplete and often in error when it comes to Jewish records. I recommend the following as the only practical choice.
                                        >
                                        >The only complete and verified "Index to the Jewish vital statistic records of Slovakia", was prepared by New York genealogist Jordan Auslander and is available for borrowing on microfiche at Family history centers. It is film FHL INTL fiche 6414537. If any records survive, Auslander will list them. It is unfortunately not online.
                                        >
                                        >Curt B.
                                        >
                                        >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:
                                        >>

                                        >> Curt, where does one find out about the location of other Jewish records, from other towns in Slovakia? I'm thinking primarily about Povazska Bystrica and surroundings.
                                        >>
                                        >> Sue

                                      • vera holman
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                          Hello Friends,
                                          It is with great interest when I read all the e-messages I have been
                                          getting about Slovakia , and surnames that go with it.

                                          I was going through all the past print-outs today, instead of checking the
                                          messages. I came upon a print-out entitled. *THE CHICKEN SOUP
                                          CONNECTION. BY Mark Westphal. " My story of researching and finding my
                                          Slovakian family."*
                                          *pg.13*
                                          *" We decided to visit the church in the town of Malà Hradnà*
                                          *in which Emil and Julia were married in 1930. This is the local parish
                                          church where everyone attended mass once a month and where all baptisms and
                                          weddings were performed. It is about three miles from Dolnè Drzkovce and I
                                          imagined the Zitta and Gajdos families walking along the country roads.
                                          Above these words is a picture of Emil Zitta and Julia Gajdos, my
                                          grandparents on their wedding day. *
                                          **
                                          *Hope it gives some closure to someone.*
                                          *Blessings, Vera B. Holman ( Sabo, Beley)*

                                        • Margo Smith
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                            The nearest archive to Povazska Bystrica is in Bytca.  However, I am not familiar with the extent of its holdings.

                                            The old Jewish cemetery in Povazska Bystrica existed at least as late as the 1970s.  My friend told me about playing there as a boy.  Now that location is underneath the footings of the new highway built in about 2009.

                                            Margo

                                            I don't know what happened to the Jewish records of the great synogogue of Podvazska Bystrica which covered the surrounding communities. I have a lot of location notes for Jewish records but not these. They are not listed on the LDS site at all. Dvorak Gazetteer which someone suggested is hopeless for locating actual Jewish records.

                                            Most Slovak or Hungarian sources are incomplete and often in error when it comes to Jewish records. I recommend the following as the only practical choice.

                                            The only complete and verified "Index to the Jewish vital statistic records of Slovakia", was prepared by New York genealogist Jordan Auslander and is available for borrowing on microfiche at Family history centers. It is film FHL INTL fiche 6414537. If any records survive, Auslander will list them. It is unfortunately not online.

                                            Curt B.

                                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

                                            > Curt, where does one find out about the location of other Jewish records, from other towns in Slovakia? I'm thinking primarily about Povazska Bystrica and surroundings.
                                            >
                                            > Sue

                                          • Michael Mojher
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                              I have a book on the Slovak Archives. The State Regional Archives in Bytca: Records of Small Town Administrate Office at Povazska Bystrica 1855-1922, Ecclesiastical Organizations – Jewish Religion Community in Liptovsky Mikulas 1761-1860.

                                              Drietoma,Trenčianske Stankovce,Trenčín are the three towns in Trencin County that has Jewish records.

                                              International Jewish Cemetery Project International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies:
                                              Povazska Bystrica is located in Povazska Bystrica, W of Zilina. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. 20-100 19th-20th century marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped tombstones (some with carved relief decorations) or finely smoothed and inscribed stones, with Hebrew and German inscriptions, are in original locations. Private visitors stop rarely. Vandalism is a moderate threat; vegetation is a serious threat, disturbing stones and graves. Security, weather erosion and pollution are minor threats. http://zilina-gallery.sk/index.php?/category/1749/ Photographs of the cemetery.