Re: another death record translation

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
      Oops, forgot the link.

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=
      12755528> &wc=12755528

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
        Julie
        The text says, died Joannes son of Joannes... a colonus [landowning farmer] of Fulianka. Age 2 months [followed by cause or condition at death - I can't read it, maybe someone else can make it out]. next column reading incapax. means he was unable to receive the last sacraments. He was buried in Fulianka by Rev. Stephanus Roskovich, Pastor of Fulianka.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

        > Oops, forgot the link.
        >

        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
        > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=
        > 12755528> &wc=12755528

      • Jane Murray
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
          Julie,

          Hectica = recurrent fever, the other word could possibly be meningitis.  I am not sure on that one.

          ________________________________
          The text says, died Joannes son of Joannes... a colonus [landowning farmer] of Fulianka. Age 2 months [followed by cause or condition at death - I can't read it, maybe someone else can make it out]. next column reading incapax. means he was unable to receive the last sacraments. He was buried in Fulianka by Rev. Stephanus Roskovich, Pastor of Fulianka.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

          > Oops, forgot the link.
          >

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
          > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=
          > 12755528> &wc=12755528

        • Julie Mark
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
            Thank you Jane and Curt. I saw Hectica abbreviated a few times and didn’t know what it was. Google translator works ok so long as you can read the script – sometimes it’s neat and sometimes not so much (and not much luck with abbreviations)

            Btw Jane – did your family attend either Christ the Saviour or St. Mary’s in Johnstown? All of my Slovak ancestors immigrated to Johntown and they attended these churches.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

            > Oops, forgot the link.
            >

            > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
            > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=
            > 12755528> &wc=12755528

          • Jane Murray
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
              Dear Julie,
              My "Sabo's" attended Imm. Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Broad Street, then went onto St. Michael's in Brownstown.  Both closed now.  My Gajdos/Gaydos and Antal families went to St. Stephens on 4th.  St. Stephens is the only one open in Cambria City now.  I am heading to Johnstown in May.  I have so little family left there now.  My Gaydos married to Kmetz, the Antal's married to Petrik, the Sabo's married to Kessler.  The town has declined, but I still love it and the history.

              Thanks, Jane

              ________________________________
              Thank you Jane and Curt. I saw Hectica abbreviated a few times and didn’t know what it was. Google translator works ok so long as you can read the script – sometimes it’s neat and sometimes not so much (and not much luck with abbreviations)

              Btw Jane – did your family attend either Christ the Saviour or St. Mary’s in Johnstown? All of my Slovak ancestors immigrated to Johntown and they attended these churches.

              Julie

              Hectica = recurrent fever, the other word could possibly be meningitis. I am not sure on that one.

              ________________________________
              The text says, died Joannes son of Joannes... a colonus [landowning farmer] of Fulianka. Age 2 months [followed by cause or condition at death - I can't read it, maybe someone else can make it out]. next column reading incapax. means he was unable to receive the last sacraments. He was buried in Fulianka by Rev. Stephanus Roskovich, Pastor of Fulianka.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

              > Oops, forgot the link.
              >

              > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
              > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=
              > 12755528> &wc=12755528

            • Julie Mark
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
                Thanks Jane. Both sets of my paternal grandparents lived in Brownstown! The Metros were on Hall Street and there was a church practically in their back yard – it may be the one you’re talking about. The other ones lived down off of Gilbert Street.

                My dad’s first job was at Pennelec on Broad St. before he moved to California in the 60s.

                Where do you live now? I am in Southern California. I have visited Jtown a few times and was lucky enough to meet some great aunts before they died and also to visit the house my great grandfather bought and raised all 8 of his children in.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                > Oops, forgot the link.
                >

                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
                > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=> &wc=
                > 12755528> &wc=12755528

              • Jane Murray
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
                  Julie,
                  My Grandparents lived on Gilbert Street before moving to Boyer Street.  My Great-grandparents lived on Kennedy, street is no longer there. I still have family on Habicht Street in Brownstown.  St Michael's Church sits right at the top of the hill when you come up the hill, Habicht is almost right across from it.  You relatives probably played with mine and went to school with them!  What family names are from Brownstown?  The only family name I am not looking into is the Stanko's, that is my great-aunts family, they too lived in Brownstown.  Small world.

                  Thanks for writing.  Jane Sabo Murray, Rochester, NY

                  ________________________________
                  Thanks Jane. Both sets of my paternal grandparents lived in Brownstown! The Metros were on Hall Street and there was a church practically in their back yard – it may be the one you’re talking about. The other ones lived down off of Gilbert Street.

                  My dad’s first job was at Pennelec on Broad St. before he moved to California in the 60s.

                  Where do you live now? I am in Southern California. I have visited Jtown a few times and was lucky enough to meet some great aunts before they died and also to visit the house my great grandfather bought and raised all 8 of his children in.

                  My "Sabo's" attended Imm. Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Broad Street, then went onto St. Michael's in Brownstown. Both closed now. My Gajdos/Gaydos and Antal families went to St. Stephens on 4th. St. Stephens is the only one open in Cambria City now. I am heading to Johnstown in May. I have so little family left there now. My Gaydos married to Kmetz, the Antal's married to Petrik, the Sabo's married to Kessler. The town has declined, but I still love it and the history.

                  Thanks, Jane

                  ________________________________
                  Thank you Jane and Curt. I saw Hectica abbreviated a few times and didn’t know what it was. Google translator works ok so long as you can read the script – sometimes it’s neat and sometimes not so much (and not much luck with abbreviations)

                  Btw Jane – did your family attend either Christ the Saviour or St. Mary’s in Johnstown? All of my Slovak ancestors immigrated to Johntown and they attended these churches.

                  Julie

                  Hectica = recurrent fever, the other word could possibly be meningitis. I am not sure on that one.

                  ________________________________
                  The text says, died Joannes son of Joannes... a colonus [landowning farmer] of Fulianka. Age 2 months [followed by cause or condition at death - I can't read it, maybe someone else can make it out]. next column reading incapax. means he was unable to receive the last sacraments. He was buried in Fulianka by Rev. Stephanus Roskovich, Pastor of Fulianka.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                  > Oops, forgot the link.
                  >

                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
                  > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=> &wc=
                  > 12755528> &wc=12755528

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
                    Wow Jane! Small world. My great grandparents were on Hall Street – the Metro’s, raised 8 children. Married names of the girls were Sevenack, Mateljian, Radak, Yarchak (believe they were on Habicht right across from Hall) and Bifano. On the paternal side there were the Gritzers (they lived on Hall Stree too) the Kovac’s, the Adamchik’s and the Matolyaks. I also am related to the Kohan’s of Brownstown – believe my grandma’s cousin John Kohan lived on Habicht. The old generation attended that brick school building on Gilbert that’s abandoned. Of course my dad and his generation (born in the 40s) attended Jtown High. My dad grew up in Prospect, but spent every Sunday on Hall Street in Brownstown. My g-grandpa’s grandson Kenny Metro lives in the old homestead on Hall St. His mom is next door – she is the last in that generation still living.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    > Oops, forgot the link.
                    >

                    > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443
                    > <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-114350-36?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=> &wc=> &wc=
                    > 12755528> &wc=12755528

                  • Jane Murray
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
                      Maryann & Denny Sabo live on Gilbert Street, second house from the corner.  My uncles bestfriend in school with a Kovac.  I am sure the families were big, but they probably all knew each other.  My mothers side attended St.Stephens and then Johnstown High. My father attended St. Columba, then graduated in 1943 from Johnstown High.  He went into WWII after graduating, then came home for awhile and eventually my parents move to Pittsuburgh, the first in a series of us moving around the country for his job.  It is so nice to connect with people from all over.  Have a nice week Julie.
                      Jane