Gajdos/Gaydos - Cambria County, Johnstown Pa

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26 6:15 AM
      Reading through old letters I wrote my grandfather in 1978, I was working on genealogy even back then.  I have a letter that he wrote about his father and place of birth. According to his information, which he said was limited because his parents did not talk about the old country; he stated his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary.  I googled both spellings and came up with nothing, other than a scientist by that last name.  I have according to his marriage paperwork at St. Stephens RC Church in Johnstown Pa, it list "Ungvar" as the location.  When I google "Ungvar" I come up with a city in the present day Ukraine.  I understand that in the 1800's everything is considered Austria-Hungary.  My grandfather was a very intelligent man for only receiving a 4th grade education in the US.  I believe he would be correct on saying his dad was from a town called "Jankovsky" even if I cannot find it.  His father died
      tragically in Cambria Iron Works, now presently Bethlehem Steel Company in 1908.  I do have the newspaper clipping on the accident.  His mother had a memory picture taken his dad taken in the coffin, it went to my grandfathers sister, I do not have a current connection to her family.

      I have seen a few "Gaydos", Gajdos writing to Slovak-Root community, I am hoping a connection develops.

      Thank you, Jane

    • Elaine Summerhill
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26 6:52 AM
        Another spelling may include GAIDOS.

        As for the town, is an alternate spelling possible?  Perhaps Yankovsky or something similar?  I typed in Ungvar in Google Search and discovered that UNGVAR is the Hungarian name for the city of Uzhgorod in Russian.  Searching around Uzhgorod, on Google maps, there is a town named Jenkovce, which is in Slovakia.  I'm thinking that that is your Jankovsky.

        In my research, I have found that names are not spelled as they sound, for the most part. Hope this helps!

        Elaine Miller Summerhill

        >Reading through old letters I wrote my grandfather in 1978, I was working on genealogy even back then.  I have a letter that he wrote about his father and place of birth. According to his information, which he said was limited because his parents did not talk about the old country; he stated his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary.  I googled both spellings and came up with nothing, other than a scientist by that last name.  I have according to his marriage paperwork at St. Stephens RC Church in Johnstown Pa, it list "Ungvar" as the location.  When I google "Ungvar" I come up with a city in the present day Ukraine.  I understand that in the 1800's everything is considered Austria-Hungary.  My grandfather was a very intelligent man for only receiving a 4th grade education in the US.  I believe he would be correct on saying his dad was from a town called "Jankovsky" even if I cannot find it.  His father died
        >tragically in Cambria Iron Works, now presently Bethlehem Steel Company in 1908.  I do have the newspaper clipping on the accident.  His mother had a memory picture taken his dad taken in the coffin, it went to my grandfathers sister, I do not have a current connection to her family.
        >
        >I have seen a few "Gaydos", Gajdos writing to Slovak-Root community, I am hoping a connection develops.
        >
        >Thank you, Jane

      • Jane Murray
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26 7:21 AM
          Dear Elaine, I am going to look on Family Search for that town, I hope it is part of the 1.3 million records that are documented to view!  Thank you for your assistance.  Jane

          ________________________________
          As for the town, is an alternate spelling possible?  Perhaps Yankovsky or something similar?  I typed in Ungvar in Google Search and discovered that UNGVAR is the Hungarian name for the city of Uzhgorod in Russian.  Searching around Uzhgorod, on Google maps, there is a town named Jenkovce, which is in Slovakia.  I'm thinking that that is your Jankovsky.

          In my research, I have found that names are not spelled as they sound, for the most part. Hope this helps!

          Elaine Miller Summerhill

          >Reading through old letters I wrote my grandfather in 1978, I was working on genealogy even back then.  I have a letter that he wrote about his father and place of birth. According to his information, which he said was limited because his parents did not talk about the old country; he stated his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary.  I googled both spellings and came up with nothing, other than a scientist by that last name.  I have according to his marriage paperwork at St. Stephens RC Church in Johnstown Pa, it list "Ungvar" as the location.  When I google "Ungvar" I come up with a city in the present day Ukraine.  I understand that in the 1800's everything is considered Austria-Hungary.  My grandfather was a very intelligent man for only receiving a 4th grade education in the US.  I believe he would be correct on saying his dad was from a town called "Jankovsky" even if I cannot find it.  His father died
          >tragically in Cambria Iron Works, now presently Bethlehem Steel Company in 1908.  I do have the newspaper clipping on the accident.  His mother had a memory picture taken his dad taken in the coffin, it went to my grandfathers sister, I do not have a current connection to her family.
          >
          >I have seen a few "Gaydos", Gajdos writing to Slovak-Root community, I am hoping a connection develops.
          >
          >Thank you, Jane

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26 8:04 AM
            >>> he stated his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary.  . . . it list "Ungvar" as the location.

            Ungvar is now Uzhorod, Ukraine. [Jankovsky or Jakovsky] Due west, on the Slovak side, is Jenkovce, which was Jenke on the 1910 map found at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

            CURRENT MAP
            To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 26 8:08 AM
              >>> Reading through old letters I wrote my grandfather in 1978 <<<

              What surname(s)? What religion? What year?
              RC and Reform church records are available.

              It's always best to start a new thread rather than hijacking an existing one.
            • John
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26 8:20 AM
                >>> his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary. <<<

                If the relevant surname is GAJDOS and the village is Jenkovce, there are 3 current telephone listings for GAJDOS in Bezovce, 4.5 km southwest of Jenkovce.

                Google Earth has some nice pictures of Jenkovce, as well as the adjacent canal. At some future date a new limited-access highway will pass by the village en route to the border near Uzhorod.
              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26 10:41 AM
                  The village of Jenkovce was at least half Greek Catholic. Those records are also online but are in the neighboring village of Vysne Nemecke.

                  Curt B.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 26 11:13 AM
                    Dear John,
                    I did find a listing for a Gajdos in Jenkovce around the time of my great Grandfather, with the correct name George.  The listing for birth is off by two years from what we have recorded. I was told May 1866, the listing I found on Image 86 of the records for Jenkovce is April of 1868.  Two years does not sway me one way or another, I found they do not keep track of dates real well. The Civil listing of their marriage in Ebensburg Pa has his father as "Mide"?, or so it looks like.  Is that present day English for Michael?  Mother is Mary.  (weren't they all!).  Father Marvton of St. Stephen's Church use to make fun of my uncles and mother saying they were "Hunkie".

                    If Jenkovce is the correct village, why would the Church put down Ungvar?  I have googled Ungvar, it is the current day city of Uzhorod.  Uzhorod is a large city with an important river for commerce.  Would the Catholic Church records for 1860's have been sent to Uzhorod since it was a closer larger city?  I thought Catholic records were kept in Kosice, Presov, Levoca.  They joined the Slovak speaking church in Johnstown, not the Hungarian church, it was a block away.

                    Thank you John & Eileen,

                    Jane

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 26 11:28 AM
                      Curt:
                      Surname is Gajdos, grandfather was Juraj/ George.  They were Catholic.  Mother was Mary, father Mide? (Michael?). I think I may have located him in Jenkovce, year or two off from my original date of birth per my grandfather.  My grandfather was only eight when he was killed, stone cemetery states 1866, May.  My great baba took it very hard, saved his bloody shirt until the day she died.
                      Thanks again for your assistance.
                      Jane

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 26 11:39 AM
                        >>> The Civil listing of their marriage in Ebensburg Pa has his father as "Mide"?, or so it looks like.  Is that present day English for Michael? <<<

                        I am guessing that it should be MIKE.

                        The online reference for the birth records is: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12316-118738-13?cc=1554443&wc=12760941

                        RC Jenkovce Film #396 page 83/242.
                      • t.salony
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 26 1:30 PM
                          Hi Jane,

                          I enjoy looking through the Johnstown census. What exactly were the names & spellings in the 1910 & 1920 census?

                          And have you found their arrival manifest?

                          Thanks,

                          TOM

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                          > Reading through old letters I wrote my grandfather in 1978, I was working on genealogy even back then. �I have a letter that he wrote about his father and place of birth. According to his information, which he said was limited because his parents did not talk about the old country; he stated his father was born in a town called Jankovsky or Jakovsky Austria Hungary. �I googled both spellings and came up with nothing, other than a�scientist�by that last name. �I have according to his marriage paperwork at St. Stephens RC Church in Johnstown Pa, it list "Ungvar" as the location. �When I google "Ungvar" I come up with a city in the present day Ukraine. �I understand that in the 1800's everything is considered Austria-Hungary. �My grandfather was a very intelligent man for only receiving a 4th grade education in the US. �I believe he would be correct on saying his dad was from a town called "Jankovsky" even if I cannot find it. �His father died
                          > tragically in Cambria Iron Works, now presently�Bethlehem�Steel Company in 1908. �I do have the newspaper clipping on the accident. �His mother had a memory picture taken his dad taken in the coffin, it went to my grandfathers sister, I do not have a current connection to her family. �
                          >
                          > I have seen a few "Gaydos", Gajdos writing to Slovak-Root community, I am hoping a connection develops.
                          >
                          > Thank you, Jane

                        • Jane Murray
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 26 5:10 PM
                            The "Sabo"'s name dropped the "z" from the European spelling, My grandfather had an "L" at the end for his baptismal records...that was dropped by the time my dad was born in 1925.  The Gaydos name entered the Johnstown picture in the 1910 census, my grandfather was born in Brunswick Maine  (actually he was born on the ship coming over from a visit to my great-grandmothers family in Vel'aty, Slovakia, the first port is where they baptized him, hence Brunswick Maine.)  My great-grandmother remarried after George Gaydos was killed in the mill, she married a Yuhascik.  The Antal's & Petrik's are from Cambria City originally and moved to Morrellville on the hill.  Some Petrik's became "Patrick" (sounded more American), the name is now Petrick.  My German side, Kessler & Wess have always retained the same name since coming to New Germany Pa, & Johnstown in 1850's.

                            I have not really looked for their arrival manifest.  My cousin is really trying to find his our great uncle Ferdinard Sabo & wife Mary Koteles, so far no luck.  I am lucky, I have a team of cousins researching different branches.

                            Thank you for your interest, do you have family in Johnstown?

                            Jane