Latin Translation needed

  • jenandrasko
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21 2:27 PM
      I am currently searching through Kolinovce, Slovkia church birth records and I have seen a term used that i can not translate.

      "vide rubricam observationum" for a male child
      or
      "viole rubricam observatis" for a female child

      The only thing I can get it to translate to is "Red violets observed"

      Anyone seen this or can tell me what it means?
      Thanks
      Jen
    • John Venham
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21 7:32 PM
        I suspect the notation is the same for males and females: vide rubricam

        It probably refers to a notation (of observation(s) or observer(s) ) elsewhere written in red (earth/ochre) either in the same book, or another record. Of course, if you're reading microfilms, which are black and white ...

        Many record books I've used have a section of long Latin text; I've never taken the time to translate this stuff, but if there is one (in any of the record books around the same period) the priest might shed light on the red ochre observation mystery. You might also be sure to check the 'hidden recesses' of the book, like the bottom of unfilled last pages of a section; between letters in the appendix, at the end of the appendix, etc. Sometimes interesting things pop up.

        Good Luck!

        John Venham

        "The Journey is the Reward"

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21 7:55 PM
          Jen,
          Your question is sort of vague. In what column of the register did this phrase appear? Is there more to the sentence......? If the item is online give a reference so we can look at it.

          rubricam here is a noun, not an adjective. It comes from the word red, but means a rule or law or directive by extension. So the phrase seems to mean: see the rule [or rubric] observed. Might refer to a liturgical observance.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jenandrasko" <jenandrasko@...> wrote:

          > I am currently searching through Kolinovce, Slovkia church birth records and I have seen a term used that i can not translate.
          >
          > "vide rubricam observationum" for a male child
          > or
          > "viole rubricam observatis" for a female child
          >
          > The only thing I can get it to translate to is "Red violets observed"
          >
          > Anyone seen this or can tell me what it means?
          > Thanks
          > Jen

        • jenandrasko
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22 7:06 AM
            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22651-20746-80?cc=1554443&wc=12762218

            Look at the third line down for "Francisca Matildis". This phase always occurs in the Name column. This one happens to have a long note in the observations field, but usually there is no note, just the three words with the name.

            Jen

            > Jen,
            > Your question is sort of vague. In what column of the register did this phrase appear? Is there more to the sentence......? If the item is online give a reference so we can look at it.
            >
            > rubricam here is a noun, not an adjective. It comes from the word red, but means a rule or law or directive by extension. So the phrase seems to mean: see the rule [or rubric] observed. Might refer to a liturgical observance.
            >
            > Curt B.
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jenandrasko" <jenandrasko@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am currently searching through Kolinovce, Slovkia church birth records and I have seen a term used that i can not translate.
            > >
            > > "vide rubricam observationum" for a male child
            > > or
            > > "viole rubricam observatis" for a female child
            > >
            > > The only thing I can get it to translate to is "Red violets observed"
            > >
            > > Anyone seen this or can tell me what it means?
            > > Thanks
            > > Jen

          • Armata, Joseph R
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22 8:14 AM
              That phrase is just saying to see the Observations column. The little curve over the third word means it's abbreviated.

              Joe