2012 Summer School for Rusyn Language & Culture

  • vchromoho
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2012
      (I realize this is a Slovak list, but I know there are plenty of people of Carpatho-Rusyn heritage here who might, and should, be interested in an opportunity like this.)

      The Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center and the Institute for Rusyn Language and Culture at Prešov University in Prešov, Slovakia, are now announcing the third annual three-week Studium Carpato-Ruthenorum International Summer School for Rusyn Language and Culture which will be held from June 10-July 1, 2012.

      The Studium offers a unique experience to individuals interested in exploring the history, culture, and language of the Carpatho-Rusyn people located on the border between East and West Slavic linguistic and cultural worlds. Intensive daily language study and history lectures, along with a minicourse in Rusyn folklore, are all offered with parallel instruction in English and Rusyn. Participants will also enjoy excursions to the famous Carpathian wooden churches, museums, and folk festivals, along with pysanky and folksong workshops.

      This is a one-of-its-kind opportunity to study Rusyn, codified in Slovakia in 1995. The deadline for applications is March 1, 2012.

      Some scholarship funds may be available for registered undergraduate and graduate students. For further detailed information, a daily schedule, and an application, go to www.carpathorusynsociety.org.