AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs.

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2001
      I think this was sent to the old address. Please excuse the duplicate if
      you get one.

      Although attachments are stripped when sent to S-R, I thought members of a
      Slavic mailing list might be caught unaware (because of its name) by this
      new worm. I'm not certain if the .vbs following the .jpg is visible when
      you check the attachment.

      VBS/SST@MM (AnnaKournikova Virus) Help Center
      VBS/SST@MM is a HIGH-RISK virus that is spread using the Windows email
      program Outlook. The infected email can come from addresses that you
      recognize. Attached is a file name AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs. When run, the
      script copies itself to the WINDOWS directory as "AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs".
      It attempts to mail a separate email message, using MAPI messaging, to all
      recipients in the Windows Address Book using the following information:

      Subject: Here you have, ;o)
      Body:
      Hi:
      Check This!

      It also creates a registry key and key values. The script refers to these
      values to check if the mailing routine has already taken place:

      HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\OnTheFly
      HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\OnTheFly\mailed=(1 for yes)

      ********

      John