  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Okeefe25@a... wrote:
      > Grandmother Figuli-Figoli was Lutheran,she became a citizen
      when she
      > married my grandfather 1899.
      > I have my grandfathers Certificate of Intention papers and
      > Citizenship
      > papers from Minnesota 1894 no mention of a city only
      > Is there a standardized form to fill out for church or court
      > Slovenia and
      > Slovakia?I have seen some forms but no mention of price.

      You can not research possible surname pre-emigration records
      without surname village/town of origin in Europe, or wherever.

      This includes archives, churches, civil registry offices, etc.
      For this reason surname researchers may spend years searching for the
      sometimes elusive surname birth place.

      For your time frame, Austria was everything from current Austria to
      Romania , plus part of current Poland and a part of the Ukraine.

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

      Before WW I , there was no country called Slovenia, just an
      Austrian province called Carniola (E) Krain (G) Kranjska (Sl)
      Krans^ko (C)

      Declaration of Intention (to become a Citizen of the United States).
      Prior to 1906, courts were to make some record of the declarant's
      visit to court and their declaration. This may be as little as a
      mention in the court minutes, or an elaborate document sporting seals
      and ribbons.
      The information gathered depended on the judge's curiosity, past
      practice of that court, and perhaps the local printer.
      After September 1906 all declarations were on the same federal form,
      no matter what court (federal, state, or local), and contained
      standard,predictable information.

      Petition (for naturalization). Often referred to as the "application
      for citizenship," "second papers," or "final papers." Like
      declarations, petitions varied widely in their form and content prior
      to implementation of the Basic Naturalization Act of 1906.
      Also, petitions did not have to be filed in the same court as the
      declaration (in cases where the immigrant moved), but not all
      pre-1906 petitions will record where the relating declaration is
      After the 1906 Act, petitions became standard forms with standard
      information,including a reference to the related declaration. The
      arrival data port, date, ship) on a post-1906 petition is also more
      reliable than that given on the declaration, since the data on the
      petition was verified by the government against the passenger lists.

      Certificate of Naturalization. This is the document issued to the new
      citizen as proof of citizenship. Some early 19th c. certificates were
      little more than receipts. Others are dripping with calligraphy and
      ribbons. Most contain at least the name of the new citizen, the court,
      the date, and the country of former allegiance. Others contain more.
      After 1906 the certificate names the new citizen, gives the address,
      physical description, age, country of former allegiance, court
      and date information, and a reference to the petition.
      Not until 1929 was a photograph attached.

      "One-Paper" or "Minor" Naturalizations. Some people spend years
      searching for documents that do not exist because their ancestor went
      through a one paper naturalization.
      Mid-19th c. legislation allowed those who had arrived in the US prior
      to their 18th birthday to naturalize on one paper (essentially, they
      were exempt from the declaration of intent requirement). In practice,
      many courts had a special petition form which included language
      usually found in a declaration.
      Others used a petition but cited the "minor naturalization" law.