[S-R] Re: I'm looking for information on the following surnames. They are Rubaczky,Rubacky

  • stevemartonak
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2012
      My asumption has been that the "ny" was simply the Hungarian transcription of the slovak soft "n" without necessarily showing any emphasis. FWIW most of the MARTONYAKs, not that there were that many, that made it to America dropped the "N" after they got here. An exception being a handful in Pennsylvania. All the MARTON(Y)AKs that I've had contact with can be traced back to Dubovica. Spellings such as MARTINAK and MARTINEC don't seem to be related.

      With some imagination - well maybe a lot -I can see how KOPCSAK might be a mis-transcription of a badly written SZOPCSAK, of which there were several in Dubovica.