Re: grandparents

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Okeefe25@a... wrote:
      > Ron,
      > Thanks for your abundance of information,I printed it all out
      to try
      > and
      > digest it later.
      > Joseph Banovetz- Banovec is the last name of my grandfather,I
      did some
      > backtracking and found the 1920 census and it states Joseph
      was born in
      > Austria,parents were Austrian-Slovene.
      > Anna Figuli-Figoli it says (1920),place of birth, Slovakland
      but in
      > the 1910
      > it says,Hungarian Slovenian,is that confusing or not?
      > All information I have is in English and poorly written I
      might add.
      > I have written to all the Figulies and have had only to
      replys and
      > seems
      > like no match. I have also written to Slovakia to all
      Figulies there
      > and have
      > had only one reply,no match there either.
      > I have been trying to find an Andrew Figuli in Cleveland,a
      brother of
      > grand
      > mothers but they seem to be younger.This person I'm looking
      for would
      > be
      > older then my grandmother ,she was born 1876 and I have been
      told he
      > was
      > older.
      > Little by little maybe we can piece this puzzle together.
      > Katherine

      Am sorry that I misled you by leaving Ron a FYI at end of my reply
      to your Re : grandparents query.

      Although I reply to Slovakia queries (my surname is Slovak) am
      Webmaster for Croatia Genweb and reply to former Yugoslavia
      surname queries elsewhere.
      The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were : Bosnia
      and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Serbia

      The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that occurred in
      Europe after 1918.
      Slovak(land) was often used for new part of Czechoslovakia that was
      now called Slovakia.

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
      Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      Before WWI, the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy had stretched from Austria
      to Montenegro in the Balkans.

      Following the First World War, new borders for Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy
      were set by the Treaties of Saint Germain-en-Laye (September 10, 1919)
      and Trianon (June 4, 1920).

      As a result, the Austro-Hungarian Empire was utterly transformed
      into much smaller territories and new countries.

      Hungary became an entirely separate nation, but lost large portions
      of its territories as well, retaining only core Hungarian-speaking
      areas.
      Retained were West and Central Hungary plus a small western portion
      of the Banat, the northern portion of the Batschka, the Central
      Hungarian Highlands, and the northern portion of Swabian Turkey.

      A new country of Yugoslavia was also formed including the former
      Austro-Hungarian lands of the southern portion of the Banat, the
      southern portion of the Batschka, Bosnia-Hercegovina, the southern
      portion of the duchy of Carinthia (Slovenia), most of the of duchy
      of Carniola, Croatia-Slavonia, the kingdom of Dalmatia, the southern
      portion of Swabian Turkey, the southern portion of duchy of Styria,
      and Syrmia.

      The Kingdom of Serbs,Croats and Slovenes was established on
      Dec. 1, 1918 and was renamed Yugoslavia on Oct. 4, 1929.

      Know of a few Figuli surnames from Upper-Hungary (Slovakia)

      A Margita Figuli, who was a famous Slovak author, died recently.
      She was born in 1909 in western Slovakia in Vys^ny' Kubín which is
      located near Dolny' Kubín.
      Her father was a farmer.

      A Frantis^ek (Frank) Fugli, who owned a plantation in Virgina, after
      emigrating here from Slovakia (then Hungary) fought in the American
      Civil War (1860-1865)

      What was surname's religion ?

      Were surnames naturalized as U.S. citizens ?
      If Joseph was naturalized than his spouse automatically became a
      citizen if before 1922.
      Naturalization papers list birth places.

      Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

      =>
      1.Certificate of Arrival
      (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
      about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
      individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
      port of entry upon arrival)

      2.Declaration of Intention
      (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
      of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
      foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
      embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

      3.Petition for Naturalization
      Often referred to as the "application for citizenship," "second
      papers," or "final papers."
      (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
      names of two witnesses)

      4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
      (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
      items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
      souvenir of the official proceedings (like a high school diploma)

      Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
      her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well..
      if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. required to wait until
      after 21st birthday. Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own
      naturalization.

      Frank Kurcina