Re: [S-R] Slovak or Hungarian

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2012
      To Nick,
      You can only guess about this.
      There is a HOLZL in my family, who was fostered to my Great Uncle who was a
      SZOKE. As far as I remember, he is from a Hungarian family. Both parents
      died and he was looked after by Uncle and Aunt Szoke as they were
      childless. Matyas HOLZL currently lives in OZ, but has since gone walkabout.
      Also the cz ending can be Polish, but maybe old Magyar (though not used
      anymore, but you probably know that.)
      If it was old Magyar then it should sound like HOLTS
      cz=c,ch,ts,tz,s,sh,tcr,tsh (
      http://www.ancestry.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Phonetic_Substitutes)
      So your name can have a lot of different variations. Was the HOLCZ spelling
      consistent over time?
      HOLCZ also Google translates to Hope if that has any relevance.

      Peter

      On 3 February 2012 13:42, Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > >Interesting question. I asked the same thing last year because my
      > >family names are not anything like other list members. Holcz,
      > >Hirsch, Nutter. I asked where do these names come from and the
      > >answer I got was the towns they live in now, not quite what I had in mind.
      >
      > My guess re Holcz was that it is a Slovak version of Holz and was
      > Austrian but that is a guess only.
      >
      > Laskavy Prosim
      >
      > Nick

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 8, 2012
        Hi Elaine - only your listing but I have 2 for Drabischak - contact me directly for info.
        Great year so far - hope the same for you! My husband is home after 3 months in hospital and nursing home and doing great - a miracle!

        helene
        helenezx@...