Neisser - Jewish?

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
      Has anyone in the wonderful community come across the Surname "Neisser"?  My great-grandmother and her two sisters came to America in 1881-1886 and settled in Johnstown, PA.  They were Anna, Maria, and Julia.  Ancestry.com list Saros Hungary. No city.  I believe Saros was a providence in the Slovak region.  There were rumblings in the family that they were of Jewish heritage.  I have no confirmation of this, and all three were married (two to brothers) in the Catholic Church.  I find it hard to believe in that time period they would abandon their religion and adopt their husbands.  I could be wrong.

      In addition, I read post of census records in Slovakia.  Are they published anywhere, and is there a fee associated with viewing them?

      Any assistance is always grateful.

      Thank you, Jane

    • Sue Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
        JewishGen has 106 hits for the exact name Neisser. There is an Anna, a Maria, and a Julie, but I think the dates are wrong for your family.

        You might want to check that data base.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
          Thank you, I will check it out.