Re: [S-R] Holub, Yurik, Seman, Lacko, Morafchik,Kubacalia, Challan,

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
      Marny,

      I want to say thank you so much. I found my Wendel which I knew was
      Wendelin (Vendelinus) Moravcfik and the rest of them all the way back to
      the 1700's in the Cadca, Makov films. I've been looking for so long I
      didn't think I'd ever find them. Nov 8 and shows his father as Geor and
      his mother as Cath. Kubatska. Hey pretty darn close especially with info
      coming from a death certificate.

      I was wondering if anyone knew what the significance of Koll 421 is?
      Later records show Kollar Do you think that is a place name? And the
      number possibly a date?

      There are records on nearly every page, I am just beside myself. Now the
      real work lies ahead translating and piecing it all together.
      Thanks again
      Kathleen

      Kathleen Stringer

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
        Hi Kathleen -

        Congratulations!

        I am so glad you found them! I did look in the Turzovka microfilm, but found no names even close to "Challan."
        As to Koll 421 - it does sound like a house number, especially as later written "kollar." There is a village about 10km south of Makov
        (on the road leading over the mountain to Povastra Bystrica!) called Kolarovice. I've noticed that towns are often abbreviated in the records.
        House numbers, unfortunately, changed every 20 years or so in that area. If the old cadastral maps are kept in Makov, you may have some luck identifying
        properties or even houses, if they are still standing. Chances are the maps are in Cadca, where we were unable to get permission to look at them - even though I could see the old maps, dusty and tied with string, on a shelf in the map office. Very frustrating!!!!

        Also, on Google maps, I just noticed a hamlet of Moravcikovci about 1.5km west of Makov!

        I'm guessing you found these records online - if you can give me the film #s and dates, I can try to read them - fortunately the records in that
        time and place were written largely in latin - my favorite high school subject :)

        As soon as I find my photos of Vysoka, I will send them.

        Marny

        I want to say thank you so much. I found my Wendel which I knew was
        endelin (Vendelinus) Moravcfik and the rest of them all the way back to
        he 1700's in the Cadca, Makov films. I've been looking for so long I
        idn't think I'd ever find them. Nov 8 and shows his father as Geor and
        is mother as Cath. Kubatska. Hey pretty darn close especially with info
        oming from a death certificate.
        I was wondering if anyone knew what the significance of Koll 421 is?
        ater records show Kollar Do you think that is a place name? And the
        umber possibly a date?
        There are records on nearly every page, I am just beside myself. Now the
        eal work lies ahead translating and piecing it all together.
        hanks again
        athleen

> [...]

        sure they would be in modern day Slovakia and not in Czechoslovakian or
        Hungarian records? The reason I ask that is because I can't find squat and
        many of their records do say Hungary or Czechoslovakia, and even
        AustroHungarian though my Aunt swears they are Slovak and those towns are
        all present day Slovakia.
        *
        * Mostly I've looked in RC but have looked in some others religions

        I thought well maybe Morafchik or Holub could have been Jewish but I can't
        read Hebrew. sigh
        All of these records came from Naturalization Petitions, Death
        Certificates, and Birth Certificates of some of the children and they
        pretty much match up.

        Does anyone know if the films at family search online are the exact same
        ones I would get if I ordered film through LDS? And if there is an index

        athleen Stringer

        inks
        Individual Email | Traditional
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rpade
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
          Marny Janson, could you share the address of said 'governmet record office' in Cadca and the 'regional archives' in Bytca, please?

          Going down there soon, gathering as much info beforehand, so your info is highly appreciated.

          Kind regards

          Richard in Copenhagen, Denmark

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, mljanson1@... wrote:

          > I have found civil records after that date in the government record
          > office in Cadca - up to the first 2 decades of the 1900s. There are
          > also records in the regional archives in Bytca.
        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
            I was at the Bytca archive a couple of weeks ago. We had a local guide, and there's no way I can tell you the exact address, but it's in what is called the Wedding Palace. Here's a link: [http://www.slovakia.travel/entitaview.aspx?l=2&idp=2696] http://www.slovakia.travel/entitaview.aspx?l=2&idp=2696

            Depending on when you're there, it might be very warm and they don't have air conditioning. It's also up a flight of stairs - no elevator.

            Sue

            --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, mljanson1@... wrote:

            > I have found civil records after that date in the government record
            > office in Cadca - up to the first 2 decades of the 1900s. There are
            > also records in the regional archives in Bytca.

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
              Richard,
              I have a book on all the archives in Slovakia.
              There is a big difference in the holdings of State Regional Archives and the State District Archives. Bytca has a State Regional Archive and Cadca has a State District Archive. The State Regional Archive is where you will find the Fonds for the church records before 1895. Each State District Archive has it’s own particular collections.

              State Regional Archives in Bytca - http://www.minv.sk/?statny-archiv-v-bytci
              014 35 Bytca, kastiel (castle), S.Sakalovej 106/3
              Tel: 00 421 821/55 333 11 – exchange
              Fax: 00 421 821/55 336 22
              Director: PhDr. Jana Kurucarova

              Study Conditions:
              Search room capacity is 15 seats.
              Photocopying and microfilm readers are available.
              Documents are usually provided within one hour. (From my experience; there is a lengthy form to fill out for the documents. And it can happen he documents will not be ready until the next day.)
              Laptops are allowed with prior permission.
              Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8:00 to 14:00. (Six hours goes by very quickly. You may be surprised how little you get accomplished.)

              Collection:
              Church Registers 1628 – 1955, from Roman Catholic diocese of Nitra, Spis and Banska Bystrica, for the Eastern district of the Lutheran church and rabbinates.

              State District Archives in Cadca
              Palarikova ul. c. 1158, 022 01 Cadca
              Tel: 00421 824/ 4334 701, exts. 119, 141
              00 421 824/ 4334 799 Director of the Archives
              Director: Antonia Hudecova

              The archives has stored archives subjects of district and lower coverage. Under the current territorial division it manages archive documents from districts Čadca and Kysucké Nova Mesto

              Study Conditions:
              Access to documents: Archives reading room with a capacity of 4 persons, the study is necessary to pre-notify by telephone, mail or in person. The use of archival documents for investigative and administrative purposes is governed by the relevant legislation.
              Requirements for archival documents search are settled within 7 days. (Pre-arrangement is vital.)
              Photocopying available.
              There is no listing for church record fonds.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
                Thank you Sue and Michael M., the info in those links are quite valuable to us. We will initially rely on my wife's knowledge of Russian which enables her to manage at least written Slovak and our combined English and German.

                Will also remember to bring our own mobile aircon, the ligthweight version considering the stairs, thx for the hint Sue ;-)