Re: [S-R] Slovak or Hungarian

  • Sue Martin
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2012
      Thanks, Peter - VERY interesting!

      Sue

      -----Original Message-----
      From: "htcstech" <htcstech@...>
      Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:57pm
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Slovak or Hungarian

      WOW! I've been wanting to have this discussion since I joined.
      My very first question to this group asked "Who am I?" ethnically speaking.
      The more research I did, the muddier it became. I looked at cultural
      differences between Slovak, Czech, Morva and Magyar.
      I remembered what my own family culture was growing up, which was tainted
      by fear and sadness due to reprisals of Soviet controlled governments
      against my families in Hungary (my mother's family) and Csehszlovkia (my
      father's family), - and the gratefullness of freedom they experienced here
      in Australia. This was particularly strong as my father had a price on his
      head and my mother's family suffered in other ways.
      So in my time here, I've experienced the 'pig butchering' by a group of
      Central Europeans that all spoke Magyar. This was like going back in time.
      The men shot the pig and drained the blood, gutted it, and used every
      organ, burnt the carcass hair on a straw fire, delivered to the kitchen
      where at least 6 women were boiling and mincing. It didn't matter if
      individuals were Serbo-Croats (Horvat) or Czech (Toth) or Madars <grin> or
      Romanian (Erdei). They spoke in a common language, drank the palinka and
      made Hurka (White and Black), Kolbasz (Csabai) and divided the meat.
      Culturally they were one in this practice. All knew what to do and I had
      the 'greater family' experience. There were no political divisions here
      except for some vague memories of the old Empire!.

      Once I got beyond the common cultural experiences like this by actually
      looking at my ancestor's lives in Slovakia, I started seeing differences
      between East and West and North and South, (not forgetting our Ukrainian
      folk) in religion, music and ethnic embroidery.
      My father was typically not Magyar as far as his Slav features and Slovak
      gentleness of spirit showed as noted by others. He attended both Slovak and
      Magyar schools. His ancestors intermarried with other ethnics as their
      family names suggest and I presume that some specific ethnic cultural
      characteristics were adopted and transmitted through the generations.
      I think this is very different to the East Slovakian experience where (for
      example), the Rusyns kept to themselves for the most part. The most
      significant is the Eastern Religion that held them together.
      So the 'Who am I' question for me is something I'm going to ask my Slovak
      relatives sometime next year when I'm face to face with them. Although I
      don't think it matters to them any more unless the political crisis there
      worsens.

      Peter (Marafko)

      <snipped>

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 8, 2012
        Hi Elaine - only your listing but I have 2 for Drabischak - contact me directly for info.
        Great year so far - hope the same for you! My husband is home after 3 months in hospital and nursing home and doing great - a miracle!

        helene
        helenezx@...