Re: [S-R] Re: JANKANICS - Death Record

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2012
      I am Lost!  What exactly are you translating.  Why is there information concerning Barn and stables, in Church records??  I assumed you were thinking the writer was giving the cause of death which is very unusual.  I am not a professional but have helped many people in their searches.  My Slovak is a western, Zahorak dialect and I learned the Hungarian alphabet pronunciation from my Grandfather.

      During Hungarian rule, children had little or no schooling and school language was Hungarian.  The reading and writing of Slovak was done at home and in many villages, teachers came to homes where groups of young people gathered for learning.  If caught they were beaten and jailed.   Priests were an important part of their lives, as they were the only formally educated people in villages and were the Slovak, "doctor, lawyer and indian chief."
      Illegible writing could be due to the priest being very old and shaky.  The majority of records I have researched have been very legible and written in Latin although names were in Hungarian, (Istvan, Erzsa, Janos, Mihaly,....etc.  Some of the writing was as beautiful as a painting.

      Can you imagine how it would be if you were forced to speak only Urdu and Finish, while secretly preserving your mother tongue, which if spoken on the street could end in your imprisonment.  they were allowed, by law, to speak Hungarian or German.   I have always been amazed, (and proud), that our people,  maintained our language and culture for over 1,000 years.

      My Grandfather, spoke read and wrote:  Two types of German,  ("High and Low"), Hungarian, Slovak, Czech and English.  To the "pure Americans", here, he was referred to as a "Dumb Round-head", (term used here for Slovak immigrants.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 8, 2012
        Hi Elaine - only your listing but I have 2 for Drabischak - contact me directly for info.
        Great year so far - hope the same for you! My husband is home after 3 months in hospital and nursing home and doing great - a miracle!

        helene
        helenezx@...