surname Szeko in area near Zubak

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
      I am searching for Dorothea Szeko who died in Zubak in 1893 at age 58. She was the widow of Andreas Martis-Zsrubak. She should have been born around 1835 but I can't find any Szekos being born in Zubak. When I do a surname check, there are many in Hatne, but no Dorothea Szeko born anytime around 1835. Does anyone have any idea ideas where the surname Szeko might be found so I can check LDS records? Any other thoughts where I can look? I would love to find her birth record and her mother's surname.

      Thank you for any help.

      Millie
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
        Millie,
        Below are three thing taken from the 1995 Slovak Census. The first two are locations; Zubak and Sejkov. Zubak you know. Sejkov I included because at one time is was called Szeko.
        The third is a search for the surname Szeko, which had 6 listings in two places.
        I did another search and found that the surname Szeko has a singular concentration in the Region: Trenciansky and particularly in the District: Povaszka Bystrica. A partial list of villages with the surname Szeko: Trstie, Dolny Lieskov, Udica, Okrut, Papradno, Sejkov, Zemianska Zavada, Precin, Horna Marikova and Doly Mostence.
        The name can be found in a lot of other places as well in counts of one or two per place.
        The “z” in the name is indicative that this is a Hungarian spelling of the name. In the late 1880’s Hungary forced people to use only Hungarian in all records. So in the church records of that period surnames were spelled the Hungarian way. Slovak spelling of the name would be Seko. The Census had 158 listing in 38 locations for Seko.
        You also had the surname Zsrubak in your post. The Census had no listing by that spelling. It did have Zrubak, 40 listings in 14 locations. In the orkes/districts of okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ and okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA.
        The surname Martis was in your e-mail. The Census had 497 listing in 127 places for it.

        Zubák PU/TC trenč.
        1773, 1786 Zubak, 1808, 1863–1902 Zubák, 1907–1913 Trencsénfogas, 1920– Zubák

        Sejkov SO/KI užhorod.
        1773 Szeko, 1786 Sékő, 1808 Székó, Sěkow, 1863–1913, 1939–1945 Székó, 1920–1939, 1945– Sejkov

        Priezvisko SZEKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY – 5×;
        VINNÉ, okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

        Priezvisko ZRUBÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 40×, celkový počet lokalít: 14, v lokalitách:

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
          Milka,

          http://www.turistika.cz/fotogalerie/49173/obec-zubak-kostol-sv-vendelina#433918

          Obit:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22633-20649-82?cc=1554443&wc=12760341
          Dorothea [Dorotea) [Dohroh-tehah] Died November 19,1893 at 58 years old, a widow, from Old age.

          I could not find birth records in Zubak and looked in Lutheran records in Puchov, Zarieci or Lazy pod Makytou.

          Your Family names:
          Szeko [Sseh-ko]

          Martis [Marr-tees] or [Mahrrr-teesh] (This, because the rest of the names are spelled in Magyar).
          Zsrubak [Zhrrruh-bahk]

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
            Thank you. This will keep me busy for a long time! Hopefully I will find the missing Szeko. Is Sejkov anywhere near to Zubak?

            > Millie,
            > Below are three thing taken from the 1995 Slovak Census. The first two are locations; Zubak and Sejkov. Zubak you know. Sejkov I included because at one time is was called Szeko.
            > The third is a search for the surname Szeko, which had 6 listings in two places.
            > I did another search and found that the surname Szeko has a singular concentration in the Region: Trenciansky and particularly in the District: Povaszka Bystrica. A partial list of villages with the surname Szeko: Trstie, Dolny Lieskov, Udica, Okrut, Papradno, Sejkov, Zemianska Zavada, Precin, Horna Marikova and Doly Mostence.
            > The name can be found in a lot of other places as well in counts of one or two per place.
            > The “z” in the name is indicative that this is a Hungarian spelling of the name. In the late 1880’s Hungary forced people to use only Hungarian in all records. So in the church records of that period surnames were spelled the Hungarian way. Slovak spelling of the name would be Seko. The Census had 158 listing in 38 locations for Seko.
            > You also had the surname Zsrubak in your post. The Census had no listing by that spelling. It did have Zrubak, 40 listings in 14 locations. In the orkes/districts of okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ and okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA.
            > The surname Martis was in your e-mail. The Census had 497 listing in 127 places for it.
            >
            > Zubák PU/TC trenč.
            > 1773, 1786 Zubak, 1808, 1863â€"1902 Zubák, 1907â€"1913 Trencsénfogas, 1920â€" Zubák
            >
            > Sejkov SO/KI užhorod.
            > 1773 Szeko, 1786 SékÅ`, 1808 Székó, Sěkow, 1863â€"1913, 1939â€"1945 Székó, 1920â€"1939, 1945â€" Sejkov
            >
            > Priezvisko SZEKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
            > NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY â€" 5×;
            > VINNÉ, okr. MICHALOVCE â€" 1×;
            >
            > Priezvisko ZRUBÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 40×, celkový počet lokalít: 14, v lokalitách:

          • milliemom4683
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
              Dakujem!

              > Milka,
              >

              > http://www.turistika.cz/fotogalerie/49173/obec-zubak-kostol-sv-vendelina#433918
              >
              > Obit:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22633-20649-82?cc=1554443&wc=12760341
              > Dorothea [Dorotea) [Dohroh-tehah] Died November 19,1893 at 58 years old, a widow, from Old age.
              >
              > I could not find birth records in Zubak and looked in Lutheran records in Puchov, Zarieci or Lazy pod Makytou.
              >
              > Your Family names:
              > Szeko [Sseh-ko]
              >
              > Martis [Marr-tees] or [Mahrrr-teesh] (This, because the rest of the names are spelled in Magyar).
              > Zsrubak [Zhrrruh-bahk]
              >
              > Z Bohom,
              >
              > Vilo
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
                No, the two town are at opposite ends of the country. ViaMichelin travel program says they are 412 km (247 miles) apart and the drive would take 5 hours and 39 minutes.

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Millie,
                > Below are three thing taken from the 1995 Slovak Census. The first two are locations; Zubak and Sejkov. Zubak you know. Sejkov I included because at one time is was called Szeko.
                > The third is a search for the surname Szeko, which had 6 listings in two places.
                > I did another search and found that the surname Szeko has a singular concentration in the Region: Trenciansky and particularly in the District: Povaszka Bystrica. A partial list of villages with the surname Szeko: Trstie, Dolny Lieskov, Udica, Okrut, Papradno, Sejkov, Zemianska Zavada, Precin, Horna Marikova and Doly Mostence.
                > The name can be found in a lot of other places as well in counts of one or two per place.
                > The “z” in the name is indicative that this is a Hungarian spelling of the name. In the late 1880’s Hungary forced people to use only Hungarian in all records. So in the church records of that period surnames were spelled the Hungarian way. Slovak spelling of the name would be Seko. The Census had 158 listing in 38 locations for Seko.
                > You also had the surname Zsrubak in your post. The Census had no listing by that spelling. It did have Zrubak, 40 listings in 14 locations. In the orkes/districts of okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠand okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA.
                > The surname Martis was in your e-mail. The Census had 497 listing in 127 places for it.
                >
                > Zubák PU/TC trenč.
                > 1773, 1786 Zubak, 1808, 1863â€"1902 Zubák, 1907â€"1913 Trencsénfogas, 1920â€" Zubák
                >
                > Sejkov SO/KI užhorod.
                > 1773 Szeko, 1786 SékÅ`, 1808 Székó, Sěkow, 1863â€"1913, 1939â€"1945 Székó, 1920â€"1939, 1945â€" Sejkov
                >
                > Priezvisko SZEKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                > NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY â€" 5×;
                > VINNÉ, okr. MICHALOVCE â€" 1×;
                >
                > Priezvisko ZRUBÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 40×, celkový počet lokalít: 14, v lokalitách:

              • Bob Mueller
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
                  Thank you for checking.  I have been looking in LDS records for nearby villages also and have found nothing so far.  I really wonder where this woman came from and where my great grandfather met her. Their marriage records are not in Zubak, either.  I will keep looking.