Szabo's - Formerly of Iglo, Szepes Hungary, now Spisska Nova Ves Slovakia

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      Greetings,

      This is my first post to the Slovak-roots site.  I am pleased to be a member.

      My great, great grandfather Martin Szabo was married in 11/18/1850 in Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia, formerly Iglo Szepes Hungary.  On the records that I found for his marriage on Family Search.org, it list his birth place as Varallya (Varalja,Hungary), present day is Podhradik, Slovakia.  I have searched through 100's of records and cannot find his actual birth/baptism recorded in Varallya. I looked in records for Presov.  Per his marriage certificate his birth should be approx. 1824.  His bride Anna Hanak was from Iglo, birth approx. 1820.  Would anyone know the name of the Catholic Church in Podhradik and the address where I can write and get a copy?

      Another question: Martin's occupation is listed in Latin as Music on his death record which again I found on the family search.org website.  When it is such a broad term as "music" does that mean a composer, singer, teacher, or instrument player?  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

      Thank you, Jane

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        Varalja = Podhorod  Valaria = Spis~ske Podhradie

        Church in Podrhadik = Najsvätejs~ej Trojice. = Holy Trinity  http://podhradik.sk/

        http://www.new.spisskepodhradie.sk/%c2%a0%c2%a0 http://www.new.spisskepodhradie.sk/%c2%a0

        Church Spis~ske Podhradie: Kostol Narodenia Panny Márie  Nativity of the Virgin Mary   http://podhradie.kapitula.sk/

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
          Both Spisska Nova Ves and Spisske Podhradie have Roman Catholic and Jewish records. So if you don’t find your family in one, try the other.

          http://www.new.spisskepodhradie.sk/ http://www.new.spisskepodhradie.sk/

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
            Thank you, I will check this evening.
            Jane