Terminology Used in Records

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      I recently recieved a record birth record that listed father's occupation as W. Teacher. Who can tell me what this might mean?
      The birth record appears in the photo section under KOZUB.
      _________
      This is very important to me as I have been searching for several years to determine the churches were my husband's great uncle served as a priest. He came from Slovakia in 1887 where he had trained in 1885 for the Greek Catholic priesthood. Census records 1910 and 1920 list him as a Greek Catholic priest. We know that he was ordained in the Orthodox Church in 1917 and we can trace him after that. But, we can not find where he served from 1887 to 1898 or from 1901 to 1916.

      We did find that he was a cantor at St. John's from 1898-1900. The 1910 census lists him as a Greek Catholic priest in Buffington Coke Works. We also found a 1904 ship record which may be his. If it truly is his it would show that he returned from Bemen to Egypt, PA.
    • creativelr
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
        I'm not sure if this is your family, but I found a marriage record and it states that Alexander Sr. was an Organist in 1914. Maybe this will help.

        Linda

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159316-8937-5?cc=1589502

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@...> wrote:

        > I recently recieved a record birth record that listed father's occupation as W. Teacher. Who can tell me what this might mean?
        > The birth record appears in the photo section under KOZUB.
        > _________
        > This is very important to me as I have been searching for several years to determine the churches were my husband's great uncle served as a priest. He came from Slovakia in 1887 where he had trained in 1885 for the Greek Catholic priesthood. Census records 1910 and 1920 list him as a Greek Catholic priest. We know that he was ordained in the Orthodox Church in 1917 and we can trace him after that. But, we can not find where he served from 1887 to 1898 or from 1901 to 1916.
        >
        > We did find that he was a cantor at St. John's from 1898-1900. The 1910 census lists him as a Greek Catholic priest in Buffington Coke Works. We also found a 1904 ship record which may be his. If it truly is his it would show that he returned from Bemen to Egypt, PA.

      • vchromoho
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
          Even though Greek Catholic and Orthodox Rusyn churches did not have organs, "Organist" was one term I've seen used on official U.S./state government forms where Greek Catholic (or Orthodox) Rusyn cantors listed their occupation. "Teacher" was another possibility for them to write in, because the Rusyn parish cantor was probably not only the cantor (leader of the congregational singing, chanter) but also the parish school teacher and maybe also the choir director.

          In fact, most Rusyn American publications in Rusyn language used the terms pivtsouchitel'/pivtseuchitel' (cantor-teacher, singer-teacher) as the word for parish cantor. (Diakouchitel' -- cantor-teacher -- was also used, since the word diak was interchangeable with 'kantor' to mean cantor.)

          Rich Custer

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
            Linda,

            I can't believe it. I know for a fact that the marriage record is for the son as all the information fits what we know. The 1910 census listed him as a Greek Catholic priest in New Salem. I have been knocking myself out contacting churches there with no luck.

            How did you find this in the database? I wonder what other helpful information might be there.

            A million thank yous.

            Gwen

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
              You're Welcome Gwen. I just got lucky. I'm also pretty sure you'll find some great stuff in the Slovak Church records. Whenever I hit a brick wall, I just take a different direction. There is a wealth of information available. Good luck and happy hunting!

              Linda