  • george iski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
      How can I get information about my Grandfather (George Iski), who lived
      near Mihalovce, and was in the hospital and died there ? Does the
      government keep such records ?

      George Iski

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
        George,
        It is best to put something on the subject line in order to keep track of your thread.
        Iski surname in the 1995 Slovak Census had two spelling, one with a diacritical mark above the “s”. There were 15 listing and 9 locations for the unmarked spelling. And 22 listings and 11 locations for the marked spelling. Both spelling shared many locations in common. Every location was within the orkes/district of Trebisov. The city of Trebisov is southwest of Mihalovce.
        I wrote someone in Slovakia who might be able to confirm that Slovakia had death certificates. If they do, like in the USA, they may require proof of you being a relatives in order to get the death certificate.

        How can I get information about my Grandfather (George Iski), who lived
        near Mihalovce, and was in the hospital and died there ? Does the
        government keep such records ?

        George Iski

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
          In records during Hungarian rule, Iski, with out a diacritical over the s, would have been spelled Iski pronounced [Eesh-kee].  Hungarian s = sh, sz = s and zs = zh.  Spelling of surnames is one of the largest problems people encountered by people starting their genealogy searches.

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
            George,
            Below is the correspondence and reply that I got from Michal Razus.

            Here is the email address for the registry: matrika@...

            It is from the official Michalovce website:
            http://www.michalovce.sk/article-kontakty.html?p=4ec5142e4e2304cf9f5290300cc14edb&m=a5838db708572f47f3ab952dfdd20896&sm=d53942079d047a04d8ad145aeed1ae17

            This is the postal address:
            Mestský úrad
            Nám. osloboditeľov 30
            071 01 Michalovce

            Michal Razus
            http://slovak-ancestry.com/

            On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            Michal,
            Can you answer this one? Does Slovakia have Death Certificates, on which the cause of death will be given?
            Michael

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
              William,
              Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

              George