Holub, Yurik, Seman, Lacko, Morafchik,Kubacalia, Challan,

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hello everyone,
      I am new here but have been working on geneaology for about 15 years now.
      I have my mothers family mostly figured out and partial for my fathers.

      My great grandfather John A *Holub* born about 1878 in *Kosfalu or
      Kostolec village* near Povaska Bystrica his father Stephan and his mother
      Mary *Yurk/Jurik*

      he married

      Marie *Seman/Szeman* born about 1882 in *Nizna Sebestova* near Presov whose
      father was Andrej Seman and mother Maria *Marcincin Lacko*

      They had a bajillion kids all born in NY the youngest Holub son married my
      grandmother

      Mary E *Morafchik* she was the daughter of Wendel *Morafchik* B 1870 in *
      Makov*. Son of George *Morafchik *and Mary *Kubacalia* I've seen the
      spelling Mravik, Moravscik, Muravic, etc.
      Her mother was Maria A *Challan* abt 1873 from *Wisoka Trencin,*
      now *Vysoka
      nad Kyousku*

      I have found all the information I could use from the USA, boat records,
      SS, birth and death, etc.

      I spent part of this weekend mapping all the towns on Family Search films
      so I could find one that was the closest to this information and searching
      but I just am not having any luck. *http://tinyurl.com/759kdd9
      hopefully it links in my maps vysok nad Kyosuku
      *Any way they seem so close to the Northern border, what would make me so
      sure they would be in modern day Slovakia and not in Czechoslovakian or
      Hungarian records? The reason I ask that is because I can't find squat and
      many of their records do say Hungary or Czechoslovakia, and even
      AustroHungarian though my Aunt swears they are Slovak and those towns are
      all present day Slovakia.
      *
      * Mostly I've looked in RC but have looked in some others religions
      I thought well maybe Morafchik or Holub could have been Jewish but I can't
      read Hebrew. sigh
      All of these records came from Naturalization Petitions, Death
      Certificates, and Birth Certificates of some of the children and they
      pretty much match up.

      Does anyone know if the films at family search online are the exact same
      ones I would get if I ordered film through LDS? And if there is an index
      somewhere?
      Thank you
      --
      Kathleen Stringer

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2012
        Hi Kathleen!

        Welcome! Vysoka Nad Kysuce is indeed in Trencin County, a few km from the Czech border. My grandmother was born there, and the church records have been filmed by the LDS, and yes, they are the same that are online!

        Vysoka is located about 5 km between the larger towns of Makov and Turzovka . Vysoka Nad Kysuce was once known as Hegeshely (Hungarian name), so you might find that on immigration and naturalization records. Although on US documents my grandmother gave her birthplace as Vysoka, her baptism and records of immediate family members are in the Turzovka records - so you might want to look in both Makov and Turzovka.

        The LDS have filmed church records up to about 1895; I have found civil records after that date in the government record office in Cadca - up to the first 2 decades of the 1900s. There are also records in the regional archives in Bytca. The LDS have also filmed early Hungarian census records for Trencin County, but I don't believe they are online yet.

        Sadly, the church records are not indexed. I can take a quick look for Maria *Challan*s baptism about 1873 in the Turzovka films at the FHC tomorrow night - much faster than online!

        The Kysuce Valley is beautiful, but was one of the poorest areas of Slovakia throughout history. I've taken photos of the Vysoka church, and will be happy to send them to your e-mail address if you wish.

        Is there any chance your relatives settled on Long Island? I went to school in West Islip with an Irene Holub.

        Good luck searching!
        Marny Janson

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
          Marny,

          I want to say thank you so much. I found my Wendel which I knew was
          Wendelin (Vendelinus) Moravcfik and the rest of them all the way back to
          the 1700's in the Cadca, Makov films. I've been looking for so long I
          didn't think I'd ever find them. Nov 8 and shows his father as Geor and
          his mother as Cath. Kubatska. Hey pretty darn close especially with info
          coming from a death certificate.

          I was wondering if anyone knew what the significance of Koll 421 is?
          Later records show Kollar Do you think that is a place name? And the
          number possibly a date?

          There are records on nearly every page, I am just beside myself. Now the
          real work lies ahead translating and piecing it all together.
          Thanks again
          Kathleen

          Kathleen Stringer

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
            Hi Kathleen -

            Congratulations!

            I am so glad you found them! I did look in the Turzovka microfilm, but found no names even close to "Challan."
            As to Koll 421 - it does sound like a house number, especially as later written "kollar." There is a village about 10km south of Makov
            (on the road leading over the mountain to Povastra Bystrica!) called Kolarovice. I've noticed that towns are often abbreviated in the records.
            House numbers, unfortunately, changed every 20 years or so in that area. If the old cadastral maps are kept in Makov, you may have some luck identifying
            properties or even houses, if they are still standing. Chances are the maps are in Cadca, where we were unable to get permission to look at them - even though I could see the old maps, dusty and tied with string, on a shelf in the map office. Very frustrating!!!!

            Also, on Google maps, I just noticed a hamlet of Moravcikovci about 1.5km west of Makov!

            I'm guessing you found these records online - if you can give me the film #s and dates, I can try to read them - fortunately the records in that
            time and place were written largely in latin - my favorite high school subject :)

            As soon as I find my photos of Vysoka, I will send them.

            Marny

            I want to say thank you so much. I found my Wendel which I knew was
            endelin (Vendelinus) Moravcfik and the rest of them all the way back to
            he 1700's in the Cadca, Makov films. I've been looking for so long I
            idn't think I'd ever find them. Nov 8 and shows his father as Geor and
            is mother as Cath. Kubatska. Hey pretty darn close especially with info
            oming from a death certificate.
            I was wondering if anyone knew what the significance of Koll 421 is?
            ater records show Kollar Do you think that is a place name? And the
            umber possibly a date?
            There are records on nearly every page, I am just beside myself. Now the
            eal work lies ahead translating and piecing it all together.
            hanks again
            athleen

> [...]

            sure they would be in modern day Slovakia and not in Czechoslovakian or
            Hungarian records? The reason I ask that is because I can't find squat and
            many of their records do say Hungary or Czechoslovakia, and even
            AustroHungarian though my Aunt swears they are Slovak and those towns are
            all present day Slovakia.
            *
            * Mostly I've looked in RC but have looked in some others religions

            I thought well maybe Morafchik or Holub could have been Jewish but I can't
            read Hebrew. sigh
            All of these records came from Naturalization Petitions, Death
            Certificates, and Birth Certificates of some of the children and they
            pretty much match up.

            Does anyone know if the films at family search online are the exact same
            ones I would get if I ordered film through LDS? And if there is an index

            athleen Stringer

            inks
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • rpade
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
              Marny Janson, could you share the address of said 'governmet record office' in Cadca and the 'regional archives' in Bytca, please?

              Going down there soon, gathering as much info beforehand, so your info is highly appreciated.

              Kind regards

              Richard in Copenhagen, Denmark

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, mljanson1@... wrote:

              > I have found civil records after that date in the government record
              > office in Cadca - up to the first 2 decades of the 1900s. There are
              > also records in the regional archives in Bytca.
            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
                I was at the Bytca archive a couple of weeks ago. We had a local guide, and there's no way I can tell you the exact address, but it's in what is called the Wedding Palace. Here's a link: [http://www.slovakia.travel/entitaview.aspx?l=2&idp=2696] http://www.slovakia.travel/entitaview.aspx?l=2&idp=2696

                Depending on when you're there, it might be very warm and they don't have air conditioning. It's also up a flight of stairs - no elevator.

                Sue

                --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, mljanson1@... wrote:

                > I have found civil records after that date in the government record
                > office in Cadca - up to the first 2 decades of the 1900s. There are
                > also records in the regional archives in Bytca.

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
                  Richard,
                  I have a book on all the archives in Slovakia.
                  There is a big difference in the holdings of State Regional Archives and the State District Archives. Bytca has a State Regional Archive and Cadca has a State District Archive. The State Regional Archive is where you will find the Fonds for the church records before 1895. Each State District Archive has it’s own particular collections.

                  State Regional Archives in Bytca - http://www.minv.sk/?statny-archiv-v-bytci
                  014 35 Bytca, kastiel (castle), S.Sakalovej 106/3
                  Tel: 00 421 821/55 333 11 – exchange
                  Fax: 00 421 821/55 336 22
                  Director: PhDr. Jana Kurucarova

                  Study Conditions:
                  Search room capacity is 15 seats.
                  Photocopying and microfilm readers are available.
                  Documents are usually provided within one hour. (From my experience; there is a lengthy form to fill out for the documents. And it can happen he documents will not be ready until the next day.)
                  Laptops are allowed with prior permission.
                  Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8:00 to 14:00. (Six hours goes by very quickly. You may be surprised how little you get accomplished.)

                  Collection:
                  Church Registers 1628 – 1955, from Roman Catholic diocese of Nitra, Spis and Banska Bystrica, for the Eastern district of the Lutheran church and rabbinates.

                  State District Archives in Cadca
                  Palarikova ul. c. 1158, 022 01 Cadca
                  Tel: 00421 824/ 4334 701, exts. 119, 141
                  00 421 824/ 4334 799 Director of the Archives
                  Director: Antonia Hudecova

                  The archives has stored archives subjects of district and lower coverage. Under the current territorial division it manages archive documents from districts Čadca and Kysucké Nova Mesto

                  Study Conditions:
                  Access to documents: Archives reading room with a capacity of 4 persons, the study is necessary to pre-notify by telephone, mail or in person. The use of archival documents for investigative and administrative purposes is governed by the relevant legislation.
                  Requirements for archival documents search are settled within 7 days. (Pre-arrangement is vital.)
                  Photocopying available.
                  There is no listing for church record fonds.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
                    Thank you Sue and Michael M., the info in those links are quite valuable to us. We will initially rely on my wife's knowledge of Russian which enables her to manage at least written Slovak and our combined English and German.

                    Will also remember to bring our own mobile aircon, the ligthweight version considering the stairs, thx for the hint Sue ;-)