Androsko

  • christine
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hi I am new here. I am looking for information on the surname Androsko. I know my grandfather's name was Jacob Androsko born 5-24-1875 in Czechoslovakia. His wife's name was Mary born 12-23-1872 and died 6-15-1967. I know they had came to Schuykill, Penn. My father's name was Paul Androsko bithdate 6-29-1903 and died in Feb of 1964. I would love any information you could share or sites that I may can look on to find out information. I can't really find much on Ancestry.com. My father died when I was a baby. I thank you for any help
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
        Christine,
        The Slovak Census of 1995 has no listing for Androsko, it gave these alternatives: andrasko andresko andrisko andrusko. Andrasko had 261 listings. Andresko 9 listings. Andrisko 3 listings. Andrusko 67 listings.
        In genealogy the #1 piece of information you need is a location. The four names above were found mostly in eastern Slovakia. The top 10 location for each is given, but there can many more locations.

        Hi I am new here. I am looking for information on the surname Androsko. I know my grandfather's name was Jacob Androsko born 5-24-1875 in Czechoslovakia. His wife's name was Mary born 12-23-1872 and died 6-15-1967. I know they had came to Schuykill, Penn. My father's name was Paul Androsko bithdate 6-29-1903 and died in Feb of 1964. I would love any information you could share or sites that I may can look on to find out information. I can't really find much on Ancestry.com. My father died when I was a baby. I thank you for any help

      • christine bias
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
          I have no idea on location. I only know the spelling now is as I put it but it may have been different.  Thank you

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
            Hi Christine, and welcome. Do you have a maiden name for your grandmother Mary? Have you gotten the death certificates? These will often (if you are lucky) give parents' names. If you haven't sent for those I would advise that as your first step. (Do you have a death date for your grandfather?) Also, I would try to get a birth record for your father - was he born in this country?

            Have you found your grandparents in any of the US censuses? And have you looked for immigration records? The passenger lists may have leads as to what town(s) they came from, which is what you will need to look in the records back in Slovakia. You will also need to know the religion.

            Also, you might want to try to look for military records, like draft registration cards, especially for your grandfather, as sometimes these give more specific info on birth place and date.

            And look in newspapers for obituaries. You might find information there.

            Good luck!
            Debbie

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine" <flemingbias@...> wrote:

            > Hi I am new here. I am looking for information on the surname Androsko. I know my grandfather's name was Jacob Androsko born 5-24-1875 in Czechoslovakia. His wife's name was Mary born 12-23-1872 and died 6-15-1967. I know they had came to Schuykill, Penn. My father's name was Paul Androsko bithdate 6-29-1903 and died in Feb of 1964. I would love any information you could share or sites that I may can look on to find out information. I can't really find much on Ancestry.com. My father died when I was a baby. I thank you for any help

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
              Christine, I am finding records for 1930 (East Norwegian, PA), 1900 (Utahville, Clearfield, PA), 1910, a WWI draft card, all with various spellings, but have you seen them to evaluate? I also found a WWI draft card for a Jacob that I think is yours, in Somerset County, which unfortunately gives no more specific place of birth.

              I also found a Jake and Mary Androski in Shade, Somerset PA in 1920, which I think belong to you; immigration info is a bit different here. If you go by these dates, it looks like they were married back in Slovakia.

              Debbie

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                ty. where did you find these records?

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                  No I don't have a maiden name. No death certificate since I have only recently found out the date of birth of my father. I was 1 when he died. I think he was born in Pennsylvania. I do know he had a sister named Helen, brothers: Jacob,joseph and Stephen. This is about all I know so far.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Christine, and welcome. Do you have a maiden name for your grandmother Mary? Have you gotten the death certificates? These will often (if you are lucky) give parents' names. If you haven't sent for those I would advise that as your first step. (Do you have a death date for your grandfather?) Also, I would try to get a birth record for your father - was he born in this country?
                  >
                  > Have you found your grandparents in any of the US censuses? And have you looked for immigration records? The passenger lists may have leads as to what town(s) they came from, which is what you will need to look in the records back in Slovakia. You will also need to know the religion.
                  >
                  > Also, you might want to try to look for military records, like draft registration cards, especially for your grandfather, as sometimes these give more specific info on birth place and date.
                  >
                  > And look in newspapers for obituaries. You might find information there.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  > Debbie
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine" <flemingbias@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi I am new here. I am looking for information on the surname Androsko. I know my grandfather's name was Jacob Androsko born 5-24-1875 in Czechoslovakia. His wife's name was Mary born 12-23-1872 and died 6-15-1967. I know they had came to Schuykill, Penn. My father's name was Paul Androsko bithdate 6-29-1903 and died in Feb of 1964. I would love any information you could share or sites that I may can look on to find out information. I can't really find much on Ancestry.com. My father died when I was a baby. I thank you for any help

                • Elaine
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                    Another item you could check is the naturalization records. I found my mother's Slovak grandfather's naturalization record in the PA county they first lived in.

                    So many eastern Europeans came to PA that many counties have special sections in libraries. You might also check those resources.

                    Elaine

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                      "...No I don't have a maiden name. No death certificate since I have only recently found out the date of birth of my father..."

                      I would suggest then that you try to get the death certificates for your grandparents (and perhaps your father also, for your records, if you'd like it). Hopefully they will give you information on your great-grandparents, and therefore your grandmother's maiden name also. If you are really lucky, you may get a town of birth, but don't get your hopes up on that one - usually it'll only say "Austria" or "Slovakia", etc.

                      By the way, (and forgive me if you know this - not sure how new you are to family research!) don't forget to try various spellings - Ondrosko, Andrusko, or any combination of vowels for the first and fifth letter, as well as a "y" or an "i" at the end - when you are searching. Maybe even a "w" before the "sko"...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                        yes I have a feeling that the spelling is different now than before.   I did find the Naturalization of what I am pretty sure is a family member and it has Kalenoch, Austria  and the Petetion for Naturalization says Kolonic, Czech. as place of birth

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                            Oops, sorry, missed this question earlier. I found them on ancestry.com, doing a search using various spellings of Androsko.

                            Debbie

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine" <flemingbias@...> wrote:

                            > ty. where did you find these records?
                            >

                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Christine, I am finding records for 1930 (East Norwegian, PA), 1900 (Utahville, Clearfield, PA), 1910, a WWI draft card, all with various spellings, but have you seen them to evaluate? I also found a WWI draft card for a Jacob that I think is yours, in Somerset County, which unfortunately gives no more specific place of birth.
                            > >
                            > > I also found a Jake and Mary Androski in Shade, Somerset PA in 1920, which I think belong to you; immigration info is a bit different here. If you go by these dates, it looks like they were married back in Slovakia.
                            > >
                            > > Debbie
                            > >

                            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, christine bias <flemingbias@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I have no idea on location. I only know the spelling now is as I put it but it may have been different.  Thank you

                          • Gary Andrasko
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
                              Christine,

                              A potential option is church records. I received my grandparents' actual marriage certificate after my aunt died. The cert is a Lutheran variety in German but with the blanks completed in Slovak and it listed my great-grandparents' names as well as the ancestral villages of both grandparents. While I was lucky to get the original, many churches maintain a ledger record as well. Good luck.

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine" <flemingbias@...> wrote:

                              > Hi I am new here. I am looking for information on the surname Androsko. I know my grandfather's name was Jacob Androsko born 5-24-1875 in Czechoslovakia. His wife's name was Mary born 12-23-1872 and died 6-15-1967. I know they had came to Schuykill, Penn. My father's name was Paul Androsko bithdate 6-29-1903 and died in Feb of 1964. I would love any information you could share or sites that I may can look on to find out information. I can't really find much on Ancestry.com. My father died when I was a baby. I thank you for any help

                            • vchromoho
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                                Looks like Kolonica, Zemplen county, now in the Snina district of far eastern Slovakia. Where was this person's naturalization -- what county/state? Was this in Schuylkill County, Pa.? I can say whether it's likely that people from Kolonica (who by and large were Carpatho-Rusyns by ethnicity) were living there. If they were indeed from Kolonica, they almost surely attended a Byzantine/Greek Catholic or Orthodox church here, the records of which you may be able to access; these would lead back to Greek Catholic records in Slovakia, which are almost all online for free.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, christine bias <flemingbias@...> wrote:

                                > yes I have a feeling that the spelling is different now than before.   I did find the Naturalization of what I am pretty sure is a family member and it has Kalenoch, Austria  and the Petetion for Naturalization says Kolonic, Czech. as place of birth

                              • martha.andras
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 4, 2012
                                  Hello Christine,

                                  I have the surname of ANDRASKO in my family tree. The original name was ANDRASOV and they came from Suche,Zemplin County. The oldest ancestor I could find was born there in 1836. The family came to the US in the early 1890's and settled in Hazleton, PA. If you think there might be a connection, let me know.

                                  Martha

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 4, 2012
                                    They may be related.  Where is your tree located?  Is there any way I can view it?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 4, 2012
                                      I have a tree on ancestry.com and any member can view it. Are you a member of that?

                                      Martha

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, christine bias <flemingbias@...> wrote:

                                      > They may be related.  Where is your tree located?  Is there any way I can view it?

                                    • Christine
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2012
                                        Yes I am. I will check I out