1715 Hungarian Census-question about villages

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2012
      I was looking for names of relatives from the village of Zubak, Slovakia in the 1715 and 1769 Hungarian censuses online. I was lucky enough to find some names of people I believe to be part of the family tree. However, there were also family names on the same page under "Udinik" and "Kis Bobrócz". Are these places near Zubak? I do not believe they exist anymore if they were villages. Have they become part of Zubak? Do those two places have any other meaning?
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2012
        Zubak, TRENCSEN MEGYE
        Kis-Bobróc, LIPTÓ-SZENT-MIKLÓSI JÁRÁS
        Udinik not found.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "milliemom4683" <milliemom4683@...> wrote:

        > I was looking for names of relatives from the village of Zubak, Slovakia in the 1715 and 1769 Hungarian censuses online. I was lucky enough to find some names of people I believe to be part of the family tree. However, there were also family names on the same page under "Udinik" and "Kis Bobrócz". Are these places near Zubak? I do not believe they exist anymore if they were villages. Have they become part of Zubak? Do those two places have any other meaning?

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2012
          Your Kis-Bobrocz is now Bobrovcek it is just north of the large town of Liptovsky Mikulas in the orkes/district of Liptovsky Mikulas in northcentral Slovakia.
          LM/ZI liptov.
          1773 Kis-Bobrocz, Maly Bobrovec, 1786 Kisch-Bobrócz, Maly Bobrowec, 1808 Kis-Bobrócz, Malý Bobrowček, 1863–1913 Kisbobróc, 1920 Bobrovček, Bobroveček, 1927– Bobrovček

          http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/bobrovcek/bobrovcek.html – This is an information page on Bobrovcek. It had an email adress and webpage.

          Zubak is still Zubak, it is in the orkes/district of Puchov which is on the northeast border with the Czech Republic.
          Zubák PU/TC trenč.
          1773, 1786 Zubak, 1808, 1863–1902 Zubák, 1907–1913 Trencsénfogas, 1920– Zubák

          http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/zubak/zubak.html – This is the information page for Zubak.

          Zubak is fairly isolated. Three towns have roads that rich it: Dohnany, Horna Breznica and Lennica. Villages near, closest out, Majere, Miscovi and Jezovci.

          I found no listing for Udinik. These are the village in Slovakia that begin with “Ud” – Udavske, Uderina, Udica and Udol.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2012
            Udinik might be Hlinik, Lipto Megye.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "milliemom4683" <milliemom4683@...> wrote:

            > I was looking for names of relatives from the village of Zubak, Slovakia in the 1715 and 1769 Hungarian censuses online. I was lucky enough to find some names of people I believe to be part of the family tree. However, there were also family names on the same page under "Udinik" and "Kis Bobrócz". Are these places near Zubak? I do not believe they exist anymore if they were villages. Have they become part of Zubak? Do those two places have any other meaning?

          • Sue Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 15, 2012
              The alternate name for Hlinik apparently was Geletnek.. According to the googling I've done, Udinik is or was a place in Russia on or near Lake Baikal. Udinik is also a name.

              Kisbobrocz is Bobrovcek, in Slovakia.

              Sue

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2012
                Thank you all for your responses. I am even more confused. If Udinik and Kis bobrocz were close to Zubak, it would explain why there are family names in those places. But, that does not seem to be the case. Did people back then move much from one place to another? I assume that is not so.

                This all goes back to the double surname business. The Bytca Archives did research on Martis or Marciss (or similar spelling varient) in Zubak for me. Their research shows up Martiss-Zsrubak as the surname. The first time I find a reference to Martiss in Zubak on the LDS site is a small note for someone born in 1828. Before that they were all Zsrubaks. However, I did find a Marciss from Udinik on the 1715 census. I sm trying to find out where the Martiss name came from if there were not Martiss' in Zubak around 1800. (although there are many by that surname living in Zubak today-all relatives of that 1828 entry)

                Thank you all for any suggestions!

              • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2012
                  People moved a lot in the years before 1715. There was the Plague in 1710. There was the devastation of Rakoczi Uprising 1703-1711, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1k%C3%B3czi_Uprising. Empty farmsteads became available. Also, the 1715 census only names household heads. If your ancestor, because of the awful times, worked as farmhand and lived in the home of his employer, he would not have been named. A widow with children living in someone else's home also would not have been named.

                  Thomas

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                    The perception most of us have of the peasants in Hungary is that they were “home bodies”. Then I read where the Slovak peasants were the migrant workers of Europe. They were required to put in 40 days labor to the Crown. They were paid, but not enough to survive through the long winter. They went far range for work, the article said they had made it to Egypt and China.
                    So the possibility of one of your ancestors leaving Zubak and making it to a “distant” village is there. Over the years at looking in the 1995 Slovak Census database I have been intrigued with the distribution for a surname. Obviously, the larger the number the more the locations. Even surnames with a large number have been found to stay fairly concentrated, within 3 or 4 adjoining orkes/districts. I have also seen where a surname was only found in one village.
                    The Martiss-Zsrubak name being hyphenated can be so for a couple of reasons. Those being the much the same as they are today. Since this one happened at birth I would speculate about an adoption or some sort by Zsrubak family. The last column in the records is for comments. Was anything written there? The removal of the “sr” from the surname changes the spelling from a Hungarian form to a Slovak one. Do you have a time period when you see the change?

                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                      Michael

                       Excellent observation.

                       I vaughly remember reading/hearing  about early Slovaks riding the Danube to the East to find work.

                        Would you be able to steer me to an online source, specifically the article you cited?
                      Thank you,... and I wanted to say thanks also for the recent letter you posted on surname suffixes....that was a goldmine.

                       I've been struggling with the "ich" suffix and it's source for years. You gave me a direction to search.

                       Larry

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                        Larry,
                        I will try to find the article. It has been a while. I maybe able to picture the page in my head, but I can’t see the book. At the time I was interested in my ancestral family in Hromos and what the peasants had to do to get by. The article mention that the 40 days of labor given to the Crown made the equivalent to $40. Whatever that may have meant. Anyway, it wasn’t enough to survive the winter. So off the went to find work where ever they could. It eventually was this need and the dropping of prices to get to a America that got our roots established in America.