Re: Mihaly Picek

  • ajourni
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10 4:47 AM
      Thank you everybody, for all the help I've been getting.

      No, I'm not sure which state. I was under the assumption it was Ohio, but they seemed to spend a lot of time in Donora. I'll ask my mother again; sometimes she surprises me with a bit of info I didn't know she had. I also started writing to a lady who is William Picik's grand-daughter. Maybe she'll have some info, but I'm waiting to hear back from her.

      I think I will try for death certificates from both states. I'll have to add it to my list of "pay" documents I want, though. I'm slowly checking things off, one at a time. I got Mihaly's wife's social security application and my Stofa 1869 census recently though...exciting stuff!

      I've looked (and looked...and looked...) in Sosujfalu, and can't find ANY Picik or any name even close. With my other names, usually I'll find them mentioned as Godparents or something. Most of the records end at 1895, and they probably got married 1905 or later. So that's no help.

      Thanks again!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

      > Allison you make me smile! Sounds like you have a great sense of humor! Let us know about that manifest.
      >
      > So you're not sure which state he died in? Hmm. Well, I would say, as far as a death certificate, it depends on how much you want to find him. Me? I would take a chance and send whatever info I had (as far as his various first names and possible variations of last name), tell them he died between 1918 and 1920 (and you can narrow it down by finding the months of the... was it the draft card from 1918? - and the date of the census), and pick a state you think he died in - Ohio? It may well be worth the $10 to $20 most places charge. If you don't find him in one state (Ohio?), look in another (PA?).
      >
      > Actually, here in CT you need to contact the city of death, not the state, and if it's a small town those clerks are usually marvelous and check for you while you wait on the phone! But even in PA, when I had to contact the state, and gave a specific date, when they could not find my person they did a five-year search without me even knowing they would, so they were helpful too. I just had to wait 16 weeks! Not sure what the process is in Ohio but what do you have to lose? Maybe not even your $20 because often they will send it back if they don't find a record.
      >
      > Too bad with all those records you found, you didn't find a marriage record in Sosujfalu for them. That would have been a good find. But keep on digging!
      >
      > Wishing you luck!!
      > Debbie
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ajourni" <ajourni@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Great...so my ancestors last name was something vulgar?
      > >
      > > I actually just found another manifest for him! Under "Pacs," on Ellis Island. I don't get it....I've been looking under every possible variation for years and now I find something?
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Pajcz= sounds like Paech which is pretty close. Almost like Patch or
      > > > Pa-e-tch although I'm pronouncing that with an Australian accent.
      > > >
      > > > Peter
      > > >
      > > > PS: 'Py-cha' is not a very nice word in Hungarian

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10 9:35 AM
        Pichnut means to prick.

        ________________________________
> [...]

        > > Debbie
        > >
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Allie <ajourni@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > That record is intriguing.  There is a Mahoning County, Ohio, which
        > isn't far from either Donora, PA or Jefferson County, Ohio.
        > > > To clarify, all I have directly on Mihaly his 1918 draft registration
        > (Jefferson County, OH).  I also have his daughter's baptism certificate
        > (Jefferson Cty.) in 1911, his daughter's marriage application from 1935
        > (lists him as deceased, born in Czechoslovakia, confirms her birth in
        > Ramsey, Jefferson Cty, OH),  his wife and daughter's ship manifest in 1913
        > (coming from Sosujfalu, Slovakia, headed for Donora), and his wife's birth
        > record in Sosujfalu.  I haven't been able to find any birth records or
        > marriage records for Mihaly.
        > > > I've been known to stomp my foot and announce, "That's it!  I give up!

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10 9:37 AM
          Pacs is Hungarian and pronounced [Pach]