Re: MARKOTAN-HORNAK-KOCIS-FARKASOVSKY

  • Marlene K. Markotan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
      Thanks for the information. I went to the Visitation Cemetery for the first
      time last Sunday. I called the church Monday to get more information. I
      found several Hornick's buried there. A couple are definately related. I
      don't know who the rest are. I have the name and phone number of a couple
      of relatives who still live in Mount Pleasant. We tried contacting one
      several times, but no one answered. I found who I think is Mary (Franko)
      Hornick and her second husband, George Banks buried there. I didn't find
      George Hornick. He was killed in some sort of coal mine accident sometime
      after 1907. I thought maybe he doesn't have a stone, so I called the
      church hoping they could find the record. They said they would call be back
      in 3-4 days.

      I didn't realize you could search through Catholic church records yourself.
      The Pittsburgh Diocese told me they are the only people who can search
      through their records. I got the impression the church doesn't keep a copy
      of the records once they are sent to the Diocese Archival office. I guess I
      just figured the other Catholic Diocese have the same policy.

      Thanks again,

      Marlene Markotan

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
        Thanks this should help.

        Marlene

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
          In a message dated 8/4/99 10:32:32 AM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com writes:

          <<Also Michael and Anna (FARKASOVSKY) KOCIS. They lived in Leisenring,
          Fayette Co. PA. Anna came to America in 1898. According to her passenger
          list she was born in Zempl Bam Slovakia.>>

          Marlene,

          My husband's greatgrandmother was Anna Farkasovsky from Jamnik, Spis,
          Slovakia. I'm sure his Anna and yours are not the same, but there are many
          FARKASOVSKYs in Jamnik. It is just east of Spisska Nova Ves. The church was
          in the next village, Odorin, so look for Odorin records in the LDS
          microfilms. The film numbers are: 1739661 through 1739663 inclusive.

          Dee Taylor
          CPRAMUKA@...