New here...researching Stofas and Mihalcsos

  • ajourni
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
      This is cross-posted in Slovak World, because I accidentally posted it there, when I meant to post it here!

      I'm new, so I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Allison, and I'm researching the Stofa/Stofas (who also have Dzuricsko, Medvecz, and Mandulak in there) and the Mihalcsos (who also have Solsisz, Petruska, and Kmes/Kmer in their line). They are nearly all from Ruska Nova Ves and Sol/Sokut.

      I'm also trying to find out anything about my maternal great-grandfather, Mihaly "William" Picek, (which they also seen spelled Picih, Payc, Pajcz, and was pronounced "Paich"). The only think I have on him is his name in my grandparents' marriage application, and I found the 1918 draft registration for him. Therefore, he was obviously alive in (September) 1918, but in the 1920 census his wife was remarried. I can't find anything on his death, or his children's births, but they were supposed to have lived in Ohio (confirmed by
      his draft registration.) I'm guessing he may have died from the flu epidemic or possibly in the war.

      Have a great weekend, everyone.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
        Allison,
        Of William Picek. The number #1 question in genealogy is “Where?”, a specific where. You gave Ohio. Where in Ohio? If you know the county you can send for a death certificate. And can see if the children were born there also.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
          >>> They are nearly all from Ruska Nova Ves and Sol/Sokut.<<<

          1) What religion? Have you researched the available church records?
          2) Have you researched the 1869 Hungarian Census (on film only) for the respective villages? Available via your nearest LDS Family History Center.
        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
            Did you check under Michael? Mihaly means Michael in English. Strange that he would have been nicknamed William, or chose that as his English name.

            Sue

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
              Hello

              Regarding Mihalcsos,Mihalcsov. Information I have uses the "v."

              I am not sure how to explain this, but a Michael Mihalcsov was born in
              Hlinne, 12 October 1835. His parents were Michael Mihalscov and Helena
              Majernik. Information I have tells me that there were young boys, their
              names were Majernik, but their nicknames were Mihalcsov. Its possible that
              your Majernik ancestors use a nickname, Mihalcsov. Because there lived
              several Majernik families and people give nicknames if there were several
              families with the same surname. The researcher who provided me with this
              information also states rhat there existed Majernik families who had
              nickname of Mihalcsin.

              I am not sure if this helps or confuses you.

              Rick Mayernik

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
                Hi Allison, and welcome! Can you be more specific? What town in Ohio, what name (spelling included please) was on the draft registration,and if you found him in any censuses, can you give us the town and the spelling he is indexed under? If we can take a look at these documents we may be able to get some clues.

                Thanks,
                Debbie