Re: [S-R] Re: Luchansky baptism record translation help please

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 6, 2012
      Debbie,
      Google Translate is alright if you make the sentences very simple and use very plain English words. My cousins have laughed at some of its translations.
      More than likely there is someone available to read an English correspondence. For over a decade English has been the second language taught in Slovak schools. If they have a school in the village, then there is a teacher of English.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 6, 2012
        Thank you all for your information and even more important, your encouragement! I'll write or e-mail and see what I can find out.

        I am really hoping this is the right Andrew. Based on this one record, I think I have gotten not only his siblings, but his parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles. If it isn't the right Andrew, I guess it's back to the drawing board!

        Thank you all!
        Debbie

      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 9, 2012
          Hi Debbie,

          Sometimes, distant cousin marriages can lead to identical names for couples, esp. as 19th century villagers used only a limited number of names. Your ancestor could have a cousin whose parents are named the same as your ancestor.

          Thomas

          ---- deeellessbee <deeellessbee@...> wrote:
          > Thank you both for the comments. Like I said, if it were just the death date that was different, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the fact that the document records Andrew dying IN the town of Plechotice, where the records are actually kept, makes me hesitate to accept this record too quickly, as much as I want it to be my g'grandfather.
          >
          > Curt, the thought of contacting the local village scares me, lol! Haven't the slightest idea of how to start to go about that!
          >
          > Debbie
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Also, keep in mind that WWII was going on. Information didn't necessarily travel back and forth in a timely manner between the US and Slovakia.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Debbie,
          > > > This may still be the record you are looking for. Remember that the writer who added the note, added it in 1942, and perhaps was recording second hand information received from friends or family rather than first hand information.
          > > >
          > > > You can always ask the local village office for a check of their records about the report of the death on that day. Since it is an ancestor they will give you the information.
          > > >
          > > > Cur tB.

        • deeellessbee
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 9, 2012
            Thomas thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that is exactly what I am wondering in this case of Andrew. The thing that gives me hope is that Andrew's mother's name of Havrila seems to be a less common name, so I am hoping this is my clue that it is my Andrew.

            Debbie

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Debbie,
            >
            > Sometimes, distant cousin marriages can lead to identical names for couples, esp. as 19th century villagers used only a limited number of names. Your ancestor could have a cousin whose parents are named the same as your ancestor.
            >
            > Thomas
            >

            > ---- deeellessbee <deeellessbee@...> wrote:
            > > Thank you both for the comments. Like I said, if it were just the death date that was different, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the fact that the document records Andrew dying IN the town of Plechotice, where the records are actually kept, makes me hesitate to accept this record too quickly, as much as I want it to be my g'grandfather.
            > >
            > > Curt, the thought of contacting the local village scares me, lol! Haven't the slightest idea of how to start to go about that!
            > >
            > > Debbie
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Also, keep in mind that WWII was going on. Information didn't necessarily travel back and forth in a timely manner between the US and Slovakia.
            > > >
            > > > --

          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 9, 2012
              This situation with multiple individuals in a family having the same name occurred in one of my family lines also. It helped me to do the "cluster genealogy" technique discussed a while ago in this group. In my case, the males in my direct line seemed to have fewer children, so many of the common given names were in the lines of other family members. (As an aside, I tried to apply various "naming conventions" also mentioned in the group, but I couldn't get those to work consistently.)

              To make it easier to group the individual families, as I went through the birth records, I used a separate index card to record births to each different set of parents. I noted the baby's name, the date of birth and the address. (I was lucky that all those items were available for a long time period!) When any parents' names or addresses changed, I started a new card. That helped me see which of the same male names were likely to be cousins vs uncle/nephew.

              I also had the 1869 census for the family handy to see if I could link the later births to the 1869 family members. That was interesting to do, but I don't recall that it led to a breakthrough, because in larger families, the children listed in the 1869 census could have ranged in age from infant to around 20. To really have applied the cluster approach, next steps would have included adding marriage and death information....But I found my specific relative before tackling those elements. (A project for next year, maybe!)

              Elaine

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:27 PM, <treimer@...> wrote:

              > Hi Debbie,
              >
              > Sometimes, distant cousin marriages can lead to identical names for couples, esp. as 19th century villagers used only a limited number of names. Your ancestor could have a cousin whose parents are named the same as your ancestor.
              >
              > Thomas
              >
              > ---- deeellessbee <deeellessbee@...> wrote:
              > > Thank you both for the comments. Like I said, if it were just the death date that was different, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the fact that the document records Andrew dying IN the town of Plechotice, where the records are actually kept, makes me hesitate to accept this record too quickly, as much as I want it to be my g'grandfather.
              > >
              > > Curt, the thought of contacting the local village scares me, lol! Haven't the slightest idea of how to start to go about that!
              > >
              > > Debbie
              > >

              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Also, keep in mind that WWII was going on. Information didn't necessarily travel back and forth in a timely manner between the US and Slovakia.
              > > >
              > > > --

            • stevemartonak
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 10, 2012
                I really don't think HAVRILA is all that rare. It seems to be mostly a Rusyn/Greek Catholic name though my G.G.Grandfather Jakob HAVRILA was apparently Roman Catholic.

                Steve

                --

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                > Thomas thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that is exactly what I am wondering in this case of Andrew. The thing that gives me hope is that Andrew's mother's name of Havrila seems to be a less common name, so I am hoping this is my clue that it is my Andrew.
                >
                > Debbie
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Debbie,
                > >
                > > Sometimes, distant cousin marriages can lead to identical names for couples, esp. as 19th century villagers used only a limited number of names. Your ancestor could have a cousin whose parents are named the same as your ancestor.
                > >
                > > Thomas
                > >

                > > ---- deeellessbee <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                > > > Thank you both for the comments. Like I said, if it were just the death date that was different, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the fact that the document records Andrew dying IN the town of Plechotice, where the records are actually kept, makes me hesitate to accept this record too quickly, as much as I want it to be my g'grandfather.
                > > >
                > > > Curt, the thought of contacting the local village scares me, lol! Haven't the slightest idea of how to start to go about that!
                > > >
                > > > Debbie

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Debbie,
                  To give you an idea of how common Havrila is in Slovakia here are the results from the 1995 Census. After “okr.” is the name of the district the town is in. Of those Michalovce, Presov, Bardejov and Kosice all are linked in eastern Slovakia. 606 listings is not a great deal, the 145 locations is large. That means each place averages 4 Havrilas.
                  Priezvisko HAVRILA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 606×, celkový počet lokalít: 145, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                  TRHOVIŠTE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 29×;
                  PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 26×;
                  BREZOVICA, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 23×;
                  SÍDLISKO ŤAHANOVCE (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 19×;
                  MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 16×;
                  VITANOVÁ, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 16×;
                  BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 14×;
                  PIEŠŤANY, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 PIEŠŤANY) – 14×;
                  KUKOVÁ, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 13×;
                  SABINOV, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 11×;

                  I really don't think HAVRILA is all that rare. It seems to be mostly a Rusyn/Greek Catholic name though my G.G.Grandfather Jakob HAVRILA was apparently Roman Catholic.

                  Steve

                  --

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                  > Thomas thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that is exactly what I am wondering in this case of Andrew. The thing that gives me hope is that Andrew's mother's name of Havrila seems to be a less common name, so I am hoping this is my clue that it is my Andrew.
                  >
                  > Debbie
                  >

                  > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, <treimer@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Debbie,
                  > >
                  > > Sometimes, distant cousin marriages can lead to identical names for couples, esp. as 19th century villagers used only a limited number of names. Your ancestor could have a cousin whose parents are named the same as your ancestor.
                  > >
                  > > Thomas
                  > >

                  > > ---- deeellessbee <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                  > > > Thank you both for the comments. Like I said, if it were just the death date that was different, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the fact that the document records Andrew dying IN the town of Plechotice, where the records are actually kept, makes me hesitate to accept this record too quickly, as much as I want it to be my g'grandfather.
                  > > >
                  > > > Curt, the thought of contacting the local village scares me, lol! Haven't the slightest idea of how to start to go about that!
                  > > >
                  > > > Debbie

                • deeellessbee
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 10, 2012
                    Hmm, maybe I should have said that the Havrila name seemed less common "in that town". In the RC records, over the span of the records, there are only three Havrilas that I saw - one of them my g'g'grandmother, and then two other women, married to RC men. In the GC records, which go from 1812 to about 1850's, I only came across a birth record for a Maria Havrila (my g'g'grandmother?), which included her parents, and another birth record for a son born to the same parents. I have looked twice completely through the GC records, but need to look several more times - these are difficult to read in spots, and there are probably more Havrilas in there, but that is all I saw so far, which led me to think it was an uncommon name, at least in Plechotice. And that made me hope that the Havrillas I did find were mine!

                    Steve, what town were your Havrilas from?

                    Debbie

                    > Debbie,
                    > To give you an idea of how common Havrila is in Slovakia here are the results from the 1995 Census. After “okr.” is the name of the district the town is in. Of those Michalovce, Presov, Bardejov and Kosice all are linked in eastern Slovakia. 606 listings is not a great deal, the 145 locations is large. That means each place averages 4 Havrilas.
                    > Priezvisko HAVRILA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 606×, celkový počet lokalít: 145, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                    > TRHOVIÅ TE, okr. MICHALOVCE â€" 29×;
                    > PREÅ OV, okr. PREÅ OV â€" 26×;
                    > BREZOVICA, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) â€" 23×;
                    > SÍDLISKO ŤAHANOVCE (obec KOÅ ICE), okr. KOÅ ICE â€" 19×;
                    > MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE â€" 16×;
                    > VITANOVÁ, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) â€" 16×;
                    > BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV â€" 14×;
                    > PIEŠŤANY, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 PIEŠŤANY) â€" 14×;
                    > KUKOVÁ, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) â€" 13×;
                    > SABINOV, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 11×;

                  • stevemartonak
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 11, 2012
                      The first record I find for Jakob HAVRILA is Aug 1855 in Dubovica when
                      Anna SCHNEIDER, wife of Jakob HAVRILA, dies at age 49. In Oct 1855
                      he, age 44, marries a young widow Anna KOVALY, nee SCHVEDA, age 25.
                      In Dec 1856 my great grandmother Barbara was born to Jakob HAVRILA and
                      Anna SCHVEDA. In Feb 1858 Andrew was born to them.

                      I'm not sure what he did for a living but it allowed him to move around. In Mar 1860 they are in Rozkovany where Maria was born. Julianna was born in Sep 1864. I next find them in Krivany where Stephen is born Aug 1867. They are in Krivany for the 1869 census.

                      I haven't yet found a death record for him but in 1873 his widow Anna
                      is back in Dubovica marrying again.

                    • tom geiss
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 11, 2012
                        rozkovany and krivany aren't that far apart. Almost walking distance.
                        Tom
                        The first record I find for Jakob HAVRILA is Aug 1855 in Dubovica when
                        Anna SCHNEIDER, wife of Jakob HAVRILA, dies at age 49. In Oct 1855
                        he, age 44, marries a young widow Anna KOVALY, nee SCHVEDA, age 25.
                        In Dec 1856 my great grandmother Barbara was born to Jakob HAVRILA and
                        Anna SCHVEDA. In Feb 1858 Andrew was born to them.

                        I'm not sure what he did for a living but it allowed him to move around. In Mar 1860 they are in Rozkovany where Maria was born. Julianna was born in Sep 1864. I next find them in Krivany where Stephen is born Aug 1867. They are in Krivany for the 1869 census.

                        I haven't yet found a death record for him but in 1873 his widow Anna
                        is back in Dubovica marrying again.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                        > Hmm, maybe I should have said that the Havrila name seemed less common "in that town". In the RC records, over the span of the records, there are only three Havrilas that I saw - one of them my g'g'grandmother, and then two other women, married to RC men. In the GC records, which go from 1812 to about 1850's, I only came across a birth record for a Maria Havrila (my g'g'grandmother?), which included her parents, and another birth record for a son born to the same parents. I have looked twice completely through the GC records, but need to look several more times - these are difficult to read in spots, and there are probably more Havrilas in there, but that is all I saw so far, which led me to think it was an uncommon name, at least in Plechotice. And that made me hope that the Havrillas I did find were mine!
                        >
                        > Steve, what town were your Havrilas from?
                        >
                        > Debbie
                        >

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Debbie,
                        > > To give you an idea of how common Havrila is in Slovakia here are the results from the 1995 Census. After â?ookr.â? is the name of the district the town is in. Of those Michalovce, Presov, Bardejov and Kosice all are linked in eastern Slovakia. 606 listings is not a great deal, the 145 locations is large. That means each place averages 4 Havrilas.
                        > > Priezvisko HAVRILA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 606Ã-, celkový počet lokalít: 145, najčastejÅ¡ie výskyty v lokalitách:
                        > > TRHOVIÅ TE, okr. MICHALOVCE �" 29Ã-;
                        > > PREÅ OV, okr. PREÅ OV �" 26Ã-;
                        > > BREZOVICA, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) �" 23Ã-;
                        > > SÍDLISKO ŤAHANOVCE (obec KOÅ ICE), okr. KOÅ ICE �" 19Ã-;
                        > > MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE �" 16Ã-;
                        > > VITANOVÁ, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) �" 16Ã-;
                        > > BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV �" 14Ã-;
                        > > PIEŠŤANY, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 PIEŠŤANY) �" 14Ã-;
                        > > KUKOVÁ, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) �" 13Ã-;
                        > > SABINOV, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) �" 11Ã-;

                      • stevemartonak
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 11, 2012
                          True. What I find unusual is the fact that they moved at all.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tom geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

                          > rozkovany and krivany aren't that far apart. Almost walking distance.
                          > Tom

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 11, 2012
                            FYI – Havrila is not in Matysova listings now.

                            Matysova SURNAMES from CENSUS records in 1715:
                            Petrus Soltis Andreas Jakobily Eva Stefanka Ladislaus Soltis Ladislaus Virosztky Ladislaus Vaszilik Stanislaus Havrila Martinus Patak Demetrius Dancsicsin Matheus Ksenin

                            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "tom geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

                            > rozkovany and krivany aren't that far apart. Almost walking distance.
                            > Tom

                          • deeellessbee
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 11, 2012
                              Thanks for the reply Steve. This is a bit of a distance from the town I am currently looking in, Plechotice.

                            • elevans1
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 12, 2012
                                Are you sure that they moved? If these villages are within walking distance, can it be that perhaps the priest at their church died, and so until they got a new priest, baptisms, etc, were done at the church of the next village?

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@...> wrote:

                                > True. What I find unusual is the fact that they moved at all.
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tom geiss" <tomfgurka@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > rozkovany and krivany aren't that far apart. Almost walking distance.
                                > > Tom
                              • stevemartonak
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2012
                                  A valid question to which I can't give a definitive answer. However, when his first wife died in Aug 1855 the record says he lived at "Dobo #98" and the same in Oct 1855 when he married again. When Barbara was born in Dec 1856 he was living in "Dobo #105". When Andrew was born in Feb 1858 he was in "Dobo #28". When Maria was born in Mar 1860 he was in "Rozkovany #15" and when Julianna was born in Sep 1864 he was in "Rozkovany #48". The birth record of Stephen in Aug 1867 only says that he live in Krivany.

                                  Maybe all these addresses were just friends he was staying with. I dunno.

                                  All the births had the same Godparents except that the last, in Krivany, had a different Godmother.

                                  --

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "elevans1" <rue.ee.4gel41n3@...> wrote:

                                  > Are you sure that they moved? If these villages are within walking distance, can it be that perhaps the priest at their church died, and so until they got a new priest, baptisms, etc, were done at the church of the next village?
                                  >

                                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > True. What I find unusual is the fact that they moved at all.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tom geiss" <tomfgurka@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > rozkovany and krivany aren't that far apart. Almost walking distance.
                                  > > > Tom

                                • deeellessbee
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2012
                                    Maybe it ran in the family!

                                    When MY Havrila, Maria, gave birth to her first child in 1857, she was at Plechotice #78; in 1858, at the birth of her second child, she was at Plechotice #45; third child, 1860, at Plechotice #44; fourth child, 1862, at Plechotice #72 (and there when that child died in 1866); in 1864, fifth child, Plechotice #71 (and at Plechotice #61 when he died 3 months later in 1865); in 1866, she was back at #71 for the birth of child number six (and also at #71 for the death of that child in 1867); at #74 in 1870 for child number seven; and then at Plechotice #35 for her last child.

                                    Did they really move, or did the house numbers change, or did the priest get the numbers wrong...?

                                    Debbie

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@...> wrote:

                                    > A valid question to which I can't give a definitive answer. However, when his first wife died in Aug 1855 the record says he lived at "Dobo #98" and the same in Oct 1855 when he married again. When Barbara was born in Dec 1856 he was living in "Dobo #105". When Andrew was born in Feb 1858 he was in "Dobo #28". When Maria was born in Mar 1860 he was in "Rozkovany #15" and when Julianna was born in Sep 1864 he was in "Rozkovany #48". The birth record of Stephen in Aug 1867 only says that he live in Krivany.
                                    >
                                    > Maybe all these addresses were just friends he was staying with. I dunno.
                                    >
                                    > All the births had the same Godparents except that the last, in Krivany, had a different Godmother.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    >
                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "elevans1" <rue.ee.4gel41n3@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Are you sure that they moved? If these villages are within walking distance, can it be that perhaps the priest at their church died, and so until they got a new priest, baptisms, etc, were done at the church of the next village?
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stevemartonak" <stevemartonak@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > True. What I find unusual is the fact that they moved at all.

                                  • William C. Wormuth
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 13, 2012
                                      In my experience, it is not unusual for Baptisms to take place in nearby villages.  My Grandfather was born in Bojnicky and Baptized in a nearby village, Dvorniky.  Some of his syblings, the same.  I have also seen this in the Zahorie region.

                                      Babies were Baptized at birth and perhaps, if a priest was not available the people might have gone to a parish, (priest), nearby.  The belief, (at that time), was that if a child died without Baptism, they would not be able to enter Paradise but go to Purgatory, forever.  I assume many children died soon after birth so it was imperative they be Baptized quickly.

                                      Z Bohom,

                                      Vilo