Re: [S-R] House numbers

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
      It seems an always-informative place to go for information are the articles posted by Martin Votruba, professor at U of Pittsburgh.
      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html

      His writeup on House Numbers:
      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/housenumbersslovakia.html
      * * *
      House numbers
      Q: Why do houses have two numbers?

      Houses in Slovakia usually display both their street number and a number parallel to the American lot-and-block number from the deeds registry. The red street numbers are assigned in a manner similar to the U.S., except that the numbering does not reflect blocks. The black "lot-and-block" numbers are more permanent than the former ones, but unlike the American lot-and-block numbers, the Slovak numbers may identify only the building, not necessarily the whole land lot.

      The law (221/1996) requires that both numbers be displayed on each building. The "lot-and-block" number plate is provided by the municipality, the owner of the building must obtain the street number plate, if applicable, and cover the cost of the attachment and maintenance of both number plates.
      Maria Theresa's legacy

      The "lot-and-block" numbers were gradually introduced at the orders of Empress Maria Theresa beginning in 1767, their original German name was Konskriptionsnummer. Most have been renumbered several times since the 18th century. The local noblemen tried to sabotage the process initially. They saw it, rightly, as part of Maria Theresa's efforts to integrate the Kingdom of Hungary, the Slovaks' home country, more firmly in her Austrian Empire and to start taxing the nobility. The drive began with the Imperial and Royal Court sending out officials to compile a sound registry of the Kingdom's real estate. The noblemen prevailed through other means for a long time, their taxation did not materialize until the mid-19th century.
      Black numbers today

      The Slovak "lot-and-block" number is now issued sequentially along with each construction permit, it is not linked to the location of the building on a street or in a municipality. If nearby buildings carry similar black "lot-and-block" numbers, it is a result of a historical renumbering of the buildings in the municipality or of their construction permits being issued close to each other.

      For historical reasons, the red house numbers, too, are often not distributed according to the arithmetic progression in the absence of named streets in small villages (see the right sidebar).
      Address and number

      The Slovaks place the street number after the name of the street, and the zip code (grouped xxx xx) before the name of the locality:

      Jozef Kováč
      Nová 17
      123 45 Dolnovce

      When the house is not on a named street, which can happen in a small village, the house number goes after the name of the locality:

      Jozef Kováč
      123 45 Dolnovce 17

      * * *
    • jdkocis
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2012
        John,
        Is there any more can you tell me of "the KOCSIS home site" mentioned in your post and the KOCSIS family who had lived there? I have traced my KOCSIS ancestors to Zsadany and Szina back to about 1858.
        Thanks in advance for any information you might provide.
        Jerry

        > Right on! In Dubravka, on the site of the ADAM house is a modern two storey home. Down the block is an original house, now empty - with the thatch roof peeking through the metal roof that was installed over top.
        >
        > In mother's village of Senne, the KOCSIS home site is an empty grassy patch with sidewalk headed toward the municipal office and (now closed) school. The relatives know exactly who lived there.
        >
        > The house numbers have changed since the 1800s. They seem to flow evenly according to my Christmas card list but I never looked for anomalies.

      • John
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2012
          >>> Is there any more can you tell me of "the KOCSIS home site" mentioned in your post and the KOCSIS family who had lived there? I have traced my KOCSIS ancestors to Zsadany and Szina back to about 1858. <<<

          In Senne, the Kocis families are still there but not on the grassy site of my mother's former home. I can't tell you anything about Kocsis families who lived in other places.