[S-R] Re: Researching the Lovinger Surname

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
      Niftee,
      There are no known surviving records of Jewish births in Jovice [modern name for Jolesz]. There are surviving records of Roman Catholics, Lutherans, and Reformed families, each included in records of three different surrounding towns. If the family is not there in the 1869 census there is probably no other way to locate the name there.

      The great Dvorszak Gazeteer for 1877 lists the town as having 6 resident Jews but they are attached to no synagogue or recording center. Unfortunatly this gazeteer does not give names, just totals by religious group. Six people is probably just one family or two at most.

      The indexing of the 1848 census of Jews for Hungary is still a work in progress at the JewishGen site, but I see that Gomor county is not included yet. I do not know if Gomor records for the 1848 Jewish census even exist.

      I suggest you pursue the question with people at the JewishGen site who are much more expert at Hungarian Jewish genealogy.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Niftee" <niftee@...> wrote:

      > I have not found any of my Lovinger relatives on the 1869 census. I am looking to find the birth record of Bertalam Lovinger in Jolesz I need to see if his father had a brother who may have had a son Daniel Lovinger in Szisko. Also I am trying to find birth records on Ida, Vojtcheck (Bennie), Elsa and Ilona. There naturalizaton papers and other records listed towns of Fulek,Sajotiba, Hanva but nothing could be found. I did find a Lajos Lovinger my relative born in Gesztete in 1897 but not sure how long his parents lived there. They were married in February 1895
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MagTon Media" <mag_ton@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Elissa , I have film for Jolesz. I have definitly seen Lovinger in 1869 Hungarian census for Gomor and Abauj counties . They are on films that are easy to read . You should try to look in the 1869 . There is an index somewhere of Hungarians of Jewish religions online from census .
      > >
      > > Good luck ! Magda
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elissa" <niftee@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
        Niftee,
        Another follow up to your question.
        Jolesz records should logically be in the records of the great synogogue of Roznava, [Rozsnyo] which was active up until the Holocaust. But LDS lists no Jewish records for Roznava even in film.
        A complete "Index to the Jewish vital statistic records of Slovakia", was prepared by Jordan Auslander and is available for borrowing on microfiche at Family history centers. It is film FHL INTL fiche 6414537. If any records survive, Auslander will list them.