Re: [S-R] House numbers

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2012
      All I know is that, while looking through LDS records for births through the 1860's to the 1890's the number by the parents' names was #456, every time. And in a marriage record in 1892 by the grooms name was #506, and, by the bride's name was the number #456.- - - and two other numbers that seemed to have a connection to the family were #533 and #537.
      Tom
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hello Tom,
        You said before that the numbers 'followed them'. Are you saying that the
        parents moved from village to village and had the same number? As it
        stands, there should be no suprise if they stayed in one house.
        Also, you would have different couples/families living in the same house,
        often in-laws looking after the elderly, others looking after children and
        so on.
        Peter

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2012
          I am told this happened - it sounds like it happened quite frequently

          but sometimes the village organization changed all the house numbers;  sometimes more than once

          usually the older people remember who lived where -  or sometimes the Mayor's office can tell.

          That's why in a village house numbers can vary wildly. There are usually 2 sets and the second set - or fire number - is more consistent with the system we know.

          Fun to drive in a village and note number 2 next to 673 -

          house numbers in your genealogy records are like gold but often it requires a bit of searching to determine if they are still that number. What's fun is the number of old homesteads that are still standing - sometimes as a storage barn. Sometimes a brand new home has been built right over it.

          helene

          I recall someone posting a comment that stated house numbers remained the same even when people moved. Did I understand that correctly?

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
            >>> What's fun is the number of old homesteads that are still standing - sometimes as a storage barn. Sometimes a brand new home has been built right over it.<<<

            Right on! In Dubravka, on the site of the ADAM house is a modern two storey home. Down the block is an original house, now empty - with the thatch roof peeking through the metal roof that was installed over top.

            In mother's village of Senne, the KOCSIS home site is an empty grassy patch with sidewalk headed toward the municipal office and (now closed) school. The relatives know exactly who lived there.

            The house numbers have changed since the 1800s. They seem to flow evenly according to my Christmas card list but I never looked for anomalies.
          • lkocik@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
              Hi John

               Hope your having a good new year.

               When You say the house numbers have changed since the 1800s, according to your Christmas card list; would that be the postal address house numbers, as opposed to the "other" house numbers? The "other" house numbers would refer to the sequential order the house was built in the villiage.

               I don't mean to get too personal, but how do you know so much about your parents ancestral villiages?

               My question should be; were you able to find the information on line, or is it from close bonds with your family in Slovakia?

               Thanks John.

              Larry Kocik

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
                In the case of a house in Secovce, there ARE two numbers posted on the house.

                In the case of Senne and Dubravka, there is only a single number. In Senne, they seem to start near the "estate house" and work their way towards the other side of the village.

                How did I learn this? SEVEN visits working on the family tree = Rodokmen. Every participant gets a copy for FREE. Software included. I guess that's why they like me. I like them too.

                John

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

                > Hi John
                >
                >  Hope your having a good new year.
                >
                >  When You say the house numbers have changed since the 1800s, according to your Christmas card list; would that be the postal address house numbers, as opposed to the "other" house numbers? The "other" house numbers would refer to the sequential order the house was built in the villiage.
                >
                >  I don't mean to get too personal, but how do you know so much about your parents ancestral villiages?
                >
                >  My question should be; were you able to find the information on line, or is it from close bonds with your family in Slovakia?
                >
                >  Thanks John.
                >
                > Larry Kocik

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
                  It seems an always-informative place to go for information are the articles posted by Martin Votruba, professor at U of Pittsburgh.
                  http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html

                  His writeup on House Numbers:
                  http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/housenumbersslovakia.html
                  * * *
                  House numbers
                  Q: Why do houses have two numbers?

                  Houses in Slovakia usually display both their street number and a number parallel to the American lot-and-block number from the deeds registry. The red street numbers are assigned in a manner similar to the U.S., except that the numbering does not reflect blocks. The black "lot-and-block" numbers are more permanent than the former ones, but unlike the American lot-and-block numbers, the Slovak numbers may identify only the building, not necessarily the whole land lot.

                  The law (221/1996) requires that both numbers be displayed on each building. The "lot-and-block" number plate is provided by the municipality, the owner of the building must obtain the street number plate, if applicable, and cover the cost of the attachment and maintenance of both number plates.
                  Maria Theresa's legacy

                  The "lot-and-block" numbers were gradually introduced at the orders of Empress Maria Theresa beginning in 1767, their original German name was Konskriptionsnummer. Most have been renumbered several times since the 18th century. The local noblemen tried to sabotage the process initially. They saw it, rightly, as part of Maria Theresa's efforts to integrate the Kingdom of Hungary, the Slovaks' home country, more firmly in her Austrian Empire and to start taxing the nobility. The drive began with the Imperial and Royal Court sending out officials to compile a sound registry of the Kingdom's real estate. The noblemen prevailed through other means for a long time, their taxation did not materialize until the mid-19th century.
                  Black numbers today

                  The Slovak "lot-and-block" number is now issued sequentially along with each construction permit, it is not linked to the location of the building on a street or in a municipality. If nearby buildings carry similar black "lot-and-block" numbers, it is a result of a historical renumbering of the buildings in the municipality or of their construction permits being issued close to each other.

                  For historical reasons, the red house numbers, too, are often not distributed according to the arithmetic progression in the absence of named streets in small villages (see the right sidebar).
                  Address and number

                  The Slovaks place the street number after the name of the street, and the zip code (grouped xxx xx) before the name of the locality:

                  Jozef Kováč
                  Nová 17
                  123 45 Dolnovce

                  When the house is not on a named street, which can happen in a small village, the house number goes after the name of the locality:

                  Jozef Kováč
                  123 45 Dolnovce 17

                  * * *
                • jdkocis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2012
                    John,
                    Is there any more can you tell me of "the KOCSIS home site" mentioned in your post and the KOCSIS family who had lived there? I have traced my KOCSIS ancestors to Zsadany and Szina back to about 1858.
                    Thanks in advance for any information you might provide.
                    Jerry

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2012
                      >>> Is there any more can you tell me of "the KOCSIS home site" mentioned in your post and the KOCSIS family who had lived there? I have traced my KOCSIS ancestors to Zsadany and Szina back to about 1858. <<<

                      In Senne, the Kocis families are still there but not on the grassy site of my mother's former home. I can't tell you anything about Kocsis families who lived in other places.