RE: [S-R] Re: Trencin/Trencsen county

  • Bonnie Burke
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2012
      I noticed below on the top line where you mention “also Kubin”. My grandfathers name was Kubin and I was told there was a village or place with the same name.

      I have been having a hard time locating his records. I know very little about his family since he died when my father was 14. He died 8/14/1931 at the age of 36 b. 1895), another record shows b. 1890.

      On my grandparents marriage certificate it shows him being from the village of Kishidveg/Pasika in Bereg County. He was Greek Catholic.

      I understand my father’s name was changed to Kobec when he started school around 1921.

      Any information on the village name or grandfather would be so helpful.

      Bonnie

      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 2, 2012
        By highjacking this thread titled Trencin county, you have mis-directed your query away from Bereg Megye = county. This is not good in terms of mixed responses for two separate threads.

        >>> On my grandparents marriage certificate it shows him being from the village of Kishidveg/Pasika in Bereg County. <<<
      • Sue Martin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 2, 2012
          Also Kubin is now Dolny Kubin, in Slovakia. It's in what used to be called Arva county , and I think is currently in the Zilina district, in the northernmost part of Slovakia near the Polish border.

          There's a pretty good Wikipedia article on it: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn%5d http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 2, 2012
            >>> it shows him being from the village of Kishidveg/Pasika in Bereg County. He was Greek Catholic.<<<

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg

            SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner.

            Paszika, (Ukraine) is located in the pink area near top right. It is west of Szolyva.
          • Bonnie Burke
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 3, 2012
              Thank you for the information. Am fairly new at all this, hope to learn a
              lot this year!

              Bonnie

              >>> it shows him being from the village of Kishidveg/Pasika in Bereg County.
              He was Greek Catholic.<<<

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg

              SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and
              PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner.

              Paszika, (Ukraine) is located in the pink area near top right. It is west of
              Szolyva.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 3, 2012
                A few websites useful for Ukraine genealogy
                http://www.ukraine.com/forums/genealogy/
                http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/ukraine/
                http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/
                http://genforum.genealogy.com/ukraine/

                Thank you for the information. Am fairly new at all this, hope to learn a
                lot this year!

                Bonnie

                >>> it shows him being from the village of Kishidveg/Pasika in Bereg County.
                He was Greek Catholic.<<<

                1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg

                SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and
                PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner.

                Paszika, (Ukraine) is located in the pink area near top right. It is west of
                Szolyva.

              • andrew w
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 28, 2013
                  I noticed Christine mentioned the Hanisko name from Dvorce. I know of a researcher by the name of Dushan Hanisko whose family comes from that village. Is this person still actively researching?

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

                  > Also Kubin is now Dolny Kubin, in Slovakia. It's in what used to be called Arva county , and I think is currently in the Zilina district, in the northernmost part of Slovakia near the Polish border.
                  >
                  > There's a pretty good Wikipedia article on it: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn%5d http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn.
                  >
                  > Sue

                • christine mackara
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 28, 2013
                    Yes, we, that is, our cousin and I , are still researching the Hanisko's from the Levoca /Dvorce area. . Cousin Robert is still trying to get in touch with Dushan, but he has not answered Robert's e-mail.

                    I would be very interested. Could you contact me at : Christine1931@...

                    Thank you, Christine

                    I noticed Christine mentioned the Hanisko name from Dvorce. I know of a researcher by the name of Dushan Hanisko whose family comes from that village. Is this person still actively researching?

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

                    > Also Kubin is now Dolny Kubin, in Slovakia. It's in what used to be called Arva county , and I think is currently in the Zilina district, in the northernmost part of Slovakia near the Polish border.
                    >
                    > There's a pretty good Wikipedia article on it: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn%5d http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doln%C3%BD_Kub%C3%ADn.
                    >
                    > Sue

                  • andrew w
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 28, 2013
                      Is it at yahoo (the email address)? Is your cousin's family from Dvorce? I have been in touch with a number of ppl from the old village (including Dushan) and they hold annual get togethers at the site of the old village. Many of the families, including mine lived in that one little village for hundreds of years and it was all just wiped off in the span of a few months. Among the people forced off were some of my grandmother's aunts and uncles. Anyway I'll drop you an email once I know what domain to send it to.