Re: [S-R] BANDZEJ surname

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 31, 2011
      Karen,
      You did not tell us why you think your Bandzej was born in Trebisov or Hradiste. Do you have some specific information? Have you investigated U.S. church records or contemporary obituaries? Have you investigated immigration or naturalization records for him? Have you examined the immigration records for the other Bandzej immigrants? They indicate that they lived in Trebisov and Hradiste as last residences, but one says he was born in Trhoviste which is a few miles Northeast of Trebisov. Another contemporary Bandzej has placed a genealogy online and says his grandfather Bandzej was born in Malcice, a few miles Southeast of Trebisov, but does not give a source. Have you looked at any of these records or communicated with with this other family? They have posted their e-mail contact on with the genealogy.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen C <karens_roots@...> wrote:

      > Sorry, I don't know what religion.  I know that George Bandzej born about 1869 in Slovakia.  I think he may have been married before.  His wife Julia Lukac (b. abt. 1874 and I have Hungary/Slovak in 1910, Austrian/Slovak in 1920).  She passed away in 1925.
      >
      > On their 1910 Pennsylvania marriage record, Julia's parents are listed as George and Elba Lucak.
      >
      > I believe that his g-grandfather is buried at "Christ the Savior Cathedral Cemetery" in Johnsontown, PA.  It is part of the Christ the Saviour Orthodox Cathedral (Carpatho-Russian).
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Karen
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hello Curt,

        I had to look back through my files.  Unfortunately, when I first started recording this info for my husbands family I didn't document my sources.  It is my New Years resolution, along with losing weight, etc. lol

        I have been in contact with a woman who's father was the nephew of my husband's g-grandfather, GEORGE BANDZEJ.  She attended the funeral of GEORGE and has visited family in Slovakia.

        What I have in my files is her father's immigration which lists his birthplace as Tchoriovce and last known address as Hradisti.  Another BANDZEJ immigration record I found for someone traveling to Johnstown, PA, where GEORGE also lived, listed their place of birth and last known address as Trehisov.  So this is my known sources.  I have received info from the group before the locations of these cities.

        On GEORGE BANDZEJ, I have the place of birth as "Malcice, Okres Tevisov Slovakia" dob of birth as Nov. 1869.  Unfortunately, I couldn't locate where I found this information.  I "assume" that I have a source or I wouldn't put down such specific information.

        It is my understanding that they are not ethnic Slovaks but a group known as Rusyns, Ruthenians or Rusnaks.  They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics).

        I have GEORGE'S death certificate, but I should try to find the obituary.

        As always, thanks to the group for your questions & help, and keeping on the right track.

        Karen

        <snip>

        >________________________________
        >

        >Karen,
        >You did not tell us why you think your Bandzej was born in Trebisov or Hradiste. Do you have some specific information? Have you investigated U.S. church records or contemporary obituaries? Have you investigated immigration or naturalization records for him? Have you examined the immigration records for the other Bandzej immigrants? They indicate that they lived in Trebisov and Hradiste as last residences, but one says he was born in Trhoviste which is a few miles Northeast of Trebisov. Another contemporary Bandzej has placed a genealogy online and says his grandfather Bandzej was born in Malcice, a few miles Southeast of Trebisov, but does not give a source. Have you looked at any of these records or communicated with with this other family? They have posted their e-mail contact on with the genealogy.
        >
        >Curt B.

      • John
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
          >>> On GEORGE BANDZEJ, I have the place of birth as "Malcice, Okres Tevisov Slovakia" dob of birth as Nov. 1869. <<<

          My father is from nearby Dubravka. I am quite familiar with the area.

          Malcice church records are RC and the nearby village of Markovce has GC records (look under Michalovce on the LDS site). The problem is that the relevant records are in Cyrillic, which I can't read. The 1869 births are on film #634 page 9/104. November is on page 10 and I couldn't spot George.
        • John
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
            >>> I have been in contact with a woman who's father was the nephew of my husband's g-grandfather, GEORGE BANDZEJ.  She attended the funeral of GEORGE and has visited family in Slovakia.

            What I have in my files is her father's immigration which lists his birthplace as Tchoriovce and last known address as Hradisti. <<<

            Perhaps a clue, if not more.

            In the GC church records for Zemplinske Hradiste, located one village south of Trebisov, are some interesting entries.

            Film found under Trebisov
            Page 5&6/160
            Born: Pal
            Father: Janos Bancsej, GC, Hardicsa 83
            Mother: Maria Hruba, RC(?)

            Page 17/160
            Born: Erzsebet Bancsej

            In the 1895 birth records, Erzsebet (maybe same one) has a child.
            Page 83/160
            Born: Gyorgy Panda
            Father: Gyorgy Panda
            Mother: Erzsebet Bancsej, GC, Hardicsa 106

            Page 85/160
            Born: Andras +(died)
            Father: Andras Bancsej, GC, Hardicsa
            Mother: Anna Fedorko, GC

            Page 95/160 Andras & Anna had another child
            Born: Juliana

            That covers the period up to 1900 in the GC church records for Zemplinske Hradiste. I hope that you can make some family connections.
          • John
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
              >>> her father's immigration which lists his birthplace as Tchoriovce and last known address as Hradisti. <<<

              There is no village spelled anywhere close to Tchoriovce in Zemplen Megye (county). HOWEVER, simply looking at the letters, I would guess Trhoviste.

              Using the BANCSEJ surname spelling found in the Zemplinske Hradiste GC church records and then going to the Cisarik web site, we can find the surname in Suche and Rakovec nad Ondavou, just west of Michalovce.

              The interesting thing is that Suche and Rakovec nad Ondavou are 8 km due north of Trhoviste. Trhoviste GC church records are available for research online (filed under Michalovce).

              Good luck.
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
                Karen – FYI
                The names of Malcice during its history.
                Malčice MI/KI zemplín. 1967 pričl. o. Hradištská Moľva (1949 vyčl. z o. Zemplínske Hradište).
                1773 Macza, Malcžicze, 1786 Macza, Malcza, 1808 Malcza, Malčice, 1863–1913 Málca, 1920– Malčice

                Link to the online Roman Catholic records for Malcice:
                https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757436

                Surname results in 1995 Slovak Census – 4 listings in 2 locations. Zemplinske Hradiste is about 10km / 6 miles due west of Malcice.
                Priezvisko BANDŽEJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 4×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                DÚBRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 3×;
                ZEMPLÍNSKE HRADIŠTE, okr. TREBIŠOV – 1×;

                http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/malcice/malcice.html – Information page on Malcice. It has an e-mail address and website. On the left at the website under Menu is a Fotogaleria to click on and view.

                The 2005 Slovak Telephone Book listings for Bandzej. They are all in this one village that is now a suburb of Bartislava since 1971.
                Jarovce: 1773 Horváth-Jándorf, Krabatisch-Jandorf, 1786 Horwath-Jándorf, Grabatisch-Jándorf, 1808 Horvát-Jándorf, Kroatisch-Jarendorf, 1863–1947 Horvátjárfalu, 1947–1971 Jarovce

                Jarovce is joined to the village (town): Bratislava
                Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzej Bandzejova Bandzejova Bandzejova Bandzejova Bandzejova Bandzejova

                http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/bratislavajarovce/bratislava---jarovce---mestska-cast.html – Information page on Jarovce

                Link to the online Roman Catholic Records for Jarovce:
                https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22652-19273-61?cc=1554443&wc=12757923

                I had to look back through my files. Unfortunately, when I first started recording this info for my husbands family I didn't document my sources. It is my New Years resolution, along with losing weight, etc. lol

                I have been in contact with a woman who's father was the nephew of my husband's g-grandfather, GEORGE BANDZEJ. She attended the funeral of GEORGE and has visited family in Slovakia.

                What I have in my files is her father's immigration which lists his birthplace as Tchoriovce and last known address as Hradisti. Another BANDZEJ immigration record I found for someone traveling to Johnstown, PA, where GEORGE also lived, listed their place of birth and last known address as Trehisov. So this is my known sources. I have received info from the group before the locations of these cities.

                On GEORGE BANDZEJ, I have the place of birth as "Malcice, Okres Tevisov Slovakia" dob of birth as Nov. 1869. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate where I found this information. I "assume" that I have a source or I wouldn't put down such specific information.

                It is my understanding that they are not ethnic Slovaks but a group known as Rusyns, Ruthenians or Rusnaks. They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics).

                I have GEORGE'S death certificate, but I should try to find the obituary.

                As always, thanks to the group for your questions & help, and keeping on the right track.

                Karen

                <snip>

                >________________________________
                >

                >Karen,
                >You did not tell us why you think your Bandzej was born in Trebisov or Hradiste. Do you have some specific information? Have you investigated U.S. church records or contemporary obituaries? Have you investigated immigration or naturalization records for him? Have you examined the immigration records for the other Bandzej immigrants? They indicate that they lived in Trebisov and Hradiste as last residences, but one says he was born in Trhoviste which is a few miles Northeast of Trebisov. Another contemporary Bandzej has placed a genealogy online and says his grandfather Bandzej was born in Malcice, a few miles Southeast of Trebisov, but does not give a source. Have you looked at any of these records or communicated with with this other family? They have posted their e-mail contact on with the genealogy.
                >
                >Curt B.

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012
                  Hi Karen – just excited to see another family buried at Christ the Saviour. My great grandparents are buried there. Did your family all live in Johnstown? What part? And mine were in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia (KAPUSANY, FULIANKA, ORLOV)

                  Julie

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 16, 2012
                    Hello Julie,

                    My husband's family left Slovakia in the late 1800s/early 1900s for Johnstown.  This Bandzej family, along with Lukac(s) and Chupko.  It is also my understanding that the Demo family in Johnstown may also have been related.  The Chupko and Demo families are from Sumiac, a small village in Slovakia.   They were also in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia.  From my records it lists their family as attending  St. Mary's Byzantine's Church, Johnstown, PA.    They lived on Genessee Street and A. Street in Johnstown.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Karen

                    >Hi Karen – just excited to see another family buried at Christ the Saviour. My great grandparents are buried there. Did your family all live in Johnstown? What part? And mine were in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia (KAPUSANY, FULIANKA, ORLOV)
                    >
                    >Julie

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 16, 2012
                      Dear Karen - I took a family with Demo roots to Sumiac a few years ago - would you like contact info for them? If so e mail me directly at helenezx@...

                      helene

                      My husband's family left Slovakia in the late 1800s/early 1900s for Johnstown.  This Bandzej family, along with Lukac(s) and Chupko.  It is also my understanding that the Demo family in Johnstown may also have been related.  The Chupko and Demo families are from Sumiac, a small village in Slovakia.   They were also in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia.  From my records it lists their family as attending  St. Mary's Byzantine's Church, Johnstown, PA.    They lived on Genessee Street and A. Street in Johnstown.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Karen

                      >Hi Karen – just excited to see another family buried at Christ the Saviour. My great grandparents are buried there. Did your family all live in Johnstown? What part? And mine were in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia (KAPUSANY, FULIANKA, ORLOV)
                      >
                      >Julie

                    • Julie Mark
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 17, 2012
                        Thanks for the info Karen. My family also attended St. Mary’s until Christ the Saviour was built. My grandparents were married at St. Mary’s and are buried in Grandview. I can’t find Genessee or A street on the map, but my relatives were mainly in Brownstown.