Where to get birth records?

  • secndChildhood
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      My grandparents came to America in 1912. They were married in Habovka, Slovakia in 1909. On my mother's birth certificate, it states that my grandmother had delivered 5 babies. We know of 3 that were born in America. We are trying to get the information for the 2 that were apparently born in Habovka. I have the church records from LDS, but they do not go to 1909 or later.

      Where/who would I contact about getting copies or information about these two births?

      Any suggestions?

      Thank you.

      Shirley
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        These are the names Habovka has been know by.
        Habovka TS/ZI orav.
        1773 Habouka, 1786 Habowka, 1808 Habóvka, 1863– Habovka

        This is the information on the FHL records for Habovka. They cover from 1787-1897. The filming of 1909 can be done since it is now beyond the 100 Year Rule. The best means would be to contact Habovka City Hall since they would have all records from 1895 to the present. Information how follows.

        Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Habovka (Dolný Kubín) Cirkevná matrika, 1787-1897
        Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Habovka, Slovakia, formerly Habovka, Árva, Hungary. Text in Latin and Hungarian. GS 1980593, item 8 was poorly filmed and was refilmed--the refilming appears at the very beginning of the film and is labeled item 8.
        Krsty 1787-1843 Birmovaní 1794-1874 Krsty 1844-1896 Manželstvá 1814-1843 Úmrtia 1818-1843 Manželstvá 1844-1897 Úmrtia 1852-1896, 1844-1851 FHL INTL Film 1980593 Items 3-9
        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/habovka/habovka.html This is an information page on Habovka. On the right side you will find two e-mail addresses. The first is for City Hall and the second is for the Mayor. English has been taught as the second language in Slovakia for over a decade. So more than likely someone can read your e-mail. I would keep the sentences simple and be specific about what you want. Give all names and dates that are pertinent to your search.
        The website has an English version, click on the British flag symbol. Not all has been translated. The Photo gallery is worth look at.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
          Michael,

          Thank you. I will try emailing the City Hall in Habovka.

          Shirley