Re: Translation help needed

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
      > "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
      > what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
      > here.
      >
      > Joe Armata
      >

      > > > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure
      out what
      > > > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
      which is
      > > > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
      what

      Think Joe Armata hit this geographic locator word right on the mark.

      If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
      [words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
      take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]

      (no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)

      mint = like, as

      az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
      'a')

      az alföldön mint

      http://www.britannica.com/seo/l/little-alfold/

      http://www.bekes.hungary.net/alfold2/alfld.htm
    • Imrich Petrov,M.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
        >>--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
        >> "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
        >> what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
        >> here.
        >>
        >> Joe Armata
        >If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
        >[words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
        >take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]
        >(no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)
        >mint = like, as
        >az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
        >'a')

        >az alföldön mint
        AZ ALFÖLDÖN MINT = on the Hungarian Plains as

        ( -ön means "on the")
        Imrich