Re: [S-R] Re: Clarification of record

  • Nancy Gibbs
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
      Thanks for all the help.  Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives.  I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
        In the 1995 Census Sztraka had 24 listings in 9 locations.
        Whereas the Slovak spelling, Straka had 2209 listings in 424 places.
        For you knowing the ancestral village becomes important to your search.
        Priezvisko SZTRAKA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 24×, celkový počet lokalít: 9, v lokalitách:
        PERÍN (obec PERÍN-CHYM), okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 6×;
        VEĽKÉ ÚĽANY, okr. GALANTA – 6×;
        MOLDAVA NAD BODVOU, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 3×;
        VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 3×;
        DRŽKOVCE, okr. RIMAVSKÁ SOBOTA (od r. 1996 REVÚCA) – 2×;
        ČATA, okr. LEVICE – 1×;
        ŠULEKOVO (obec HLOHOVEC), okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) – 1×;
        JABLONOV NAD TURŇOU, okr. ROŽŇAVA – 1×;
        VEĽKÉ BLAHOVO, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA – 1×;

        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
        > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
        > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
        > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
          A bit off the topic but am I the only one who views Michal's posts as a random mix of characters?

          His posts are usually right on the mark......from what I am able to gather.

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

          > Could someone please look at the following entry and answer this question:  Is the man's name SZTRAKA? and what is the female's last name?
          >
          > Entry is located at RC, Presov, Zupcany, #1572, page 51.  It is located on the right side of the page, 1st entry under 1806.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Nancy

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
            Dennis,
            Probably not the only one. Since correct Slovak is written in a different character set on computers than we write English, whether you read these messages on the web, or in your e-mail, you just need to set your "view" or reader to UNICODE or UTF 8, and you will see it just like he wrote it.

            Curt B.

            > A bit off the topic but am I the only one who views Michal's posts as a random mix of characters?
            >
            > His posts are usually right on the mark......from what I am able to gather.
            >
            > Dennis
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Could someone please look at the following entry and answer this question:  Is the man's name SZTRAKA? and what is the female's last name?
            > >
            > > Entry is located at RC, Presov, Zupcany, #1572, page 51.  It is located on the right side of the page, 1st entry under 1806.
            > >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > Nancy

          • patskanovo
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
              Thanks Curt,

              I did check to see if my settings have some how changed.....

              ...but it is only here on Yahoo that I have this problem.

              Could there be any other reason? I am not a computer wiz so if anyone can suggest/terminology to search for an answer I will try that.

              Dennis

              > Dennis,
              > Probably not the only one. Since correct Slovak is written in a different character set on computers than we write English, whether you read these messages on the web, or in your e-mail, you just need to set your "view" or reader to UNICODE or UTF 8, and you will see it just like he wrote it.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > A bit off the topic but am I the only one who views Michal's posts as a random mix of characters?
              > >
              > > His posts are usually right on the mark......from what I am able to gather.
              > >
              > > Dennis
              > >

              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Could someone please look at the following entry and answer this question:  Is the man's name SZTRAKA? and what is the female's last name?
              > > >
              > > > Entry is located at RC, Presov, Zupcany, #1572, page 51.  It is located on the right side of the page, 1st entry under 1806.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you.
              > > >
              > > > Nancy

            • Nancy Gibbs
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
                Michael,

                These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order:  Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende).  Grandfather was born in Petrovany.  I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                ________________________________

                Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                ________________________________
                Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                Curt B.

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

              • John
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
                  >>> I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail. <<<

                  It would appear that the STRAKA clan had moved to Presov by 1995. However, Cisarik supports the earlier Saros village locations for STRAKA.
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
                    Dennis,
                    I use UTF8 for sending my messages. That is what the 1995 Slovak Census is set to. As Curt informed you your computer has to be set to that to avoid the garble.

                    A bit off the topic but am I the only one who views Michal's posts as a random mix of characters?

                    His posts are usually right on the mark......from what I am able to gather.

                    Dennis

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

                    > Could someone please look at the following entry and answer this question: Is the man's name SZTRAKA? and what is the female's last name?
                    >
                    > Entry is located at RC, Presov, Zupcany, #1572, page 51. It is located on the right side of the page, 1st entry under 1806.
                    >
                    > Thank you.
                    >
                    > Nancy

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 27, 2011
                      Nancy,
                      My maternal grandmother was born in Kendice. Surname was Weiszer. Zupcany I am aware of since it is next to Maly Saris, the village where my maternal aunt settled. My grandmother’s sister married into the Sopko family there.
                      I could not find any listing for a place called Szt. Peter or Kishegy.
                      Petrovany is across the river from Kendice. So they were virtually one town.
                      As you saw, Sztraka in 1995 is a rare surname, found in only 9 locations. As was pointed out, it is the Hungarian spelling of the Slovak surname Straka. In the late 1800’s there was a period of “Magyarization” where the Hungarian government decided only the Hungarian language could be used. This required that surnames be spelled the Hungarian way. With the end of the Austro-Hungarian Empire many Slovaks reverted back to the Slovak spelling. Some families didn’t. As you saw there are many who go by the Slovak spelling. In the time period you are searching the Hungarian spelling was most likely used. You can verify that by looking at the records.
                      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628 This is the link to the online
                      records for Kendice.
                      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636 This is the link to the online records for Petrovany.
                      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648 This is the link to the online records for Zupcany.
                      Since 2001 I have made six trips to Slovakia. If you would like to know something about the area you are hunting in I would be willing to correspond. Write to my e-mail address that is shadowed my name.

                      These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                      ________________________________

                      Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                      ________________________________
                      Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                      > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                      > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                      > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                      > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                    • Sue Martin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                        The alternate name for Kishegy is Magura.

                        There are several Szent-Peters, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for. The source of this information is the Hungarian Village FInder, Atlas and Gazetteer for the Kingdom of Hungary.

                        Sue

[...]
                        [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628 This is the link to the online
                        records for Kendice.
                        [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636 This is the link to the online records for Petrovany.
                        [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648 This is the link to the online records for Zupcany.
                        Since 2001 I have made six trips to Slovakia. If you would like to know something about the area you are hunting in I would be willing to correspond. Write to my e-mail address that is shadowed my name.

                        These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                        ________________________________

                        Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                        ________________________________
                        Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                        > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                        > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                        > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                        > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                          The Sztraka/Straka name certainly was far from being rare around 1900. Radix (www.bogardi.com) lists 60 locations of the Sztraka name in Historic Hungary and 13 locations for Straka. Today the Slovak telephone directory lists 851 entries for Straka and another 13 for Sztraka. Weiszer/Weiser was also fairly common (48 instances of Weiszer and 196 of Weiser).The Slovak phone directory shows 15 entries for Weiszer and 37 for Weiser today.

                          Janet

                          The alternate name for Kishegy is Magura.

                          There are several Szent-Peters, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for. The source of this information is the Hungarian Village FInder, Atlas and Gazetteer for the Kingdom of Hungary.

                          Sue

                          These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                          ________________________________

                          Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                          ________________________________
                          Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                          Curt B.

                          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                          > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                          > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                          > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                          > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                            >>> These are the places I have found on different records . . . Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) . . . in Kendice (Kende) . . . Petrovany. <<<

                            Kis Hegy is a mountain village of a few houses called Magura. It is 7 km northeast of Hrinova no local road is shown. It is NOT aka Szt Peter.

                            Kis Saros is now called Maly Saris and is just west of Presov.

                            Zupcany is the village immediately west of Maly Saris.

                            Kendice is just south of Presov. Petrovany is across the highway, due east of Kendice.

                            Petroviany was formerly Szent Peter and so you can eliminate a village from your list.

                            The oddball on your list that deserves more scrutiny is your Kis Hegy = Magura. It is not geographically close to the other named villages and I would take it as erroneous information. Magura is merely a few chaty in the mountains.
                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                              Sue,
                              To follow up on John’s message. Magura in the 1995 Census is only used as a surname. Not a location.
                              Here are the names Petrovany has been know by over its history. As you see, St. Peter was used several times.
                              Petrovany PO/PV šariš. 1965 pričl. o. Močarmany.
                              1773 Sz[ent]-Péter, Sz[ent]-Peter, Peters-Dorf, Petrowjanj, 1786 S[ent]-Péter, Petrowjani, Petersdorf, 1808 Szent-Péter, Petersdorf, Petrowjany, 1863–1902 Szentpéter, 1907–1913 Tarcaszentpéter, 1920 Petrovany, Petroviany, 1927–1948 Petroviany, 1948– Petrovany

                              FYI, when looking at the records you need to know the names used.

                              Župčany PO/PV šariš.
                              1773 Sebfalva, Zupcžany, 1786 Schebfalwa, Zupčani, 1808 Zsebfalu, Sebfalva, Zubčany, 1863–1902 Zsebfalu, 1907–1913 Zsebefalva, 1920 Žubčany, 1927– Župčany
                              Kendice PO/PV šariš.
                              1773 Kende, Kenczicze, 1786 Kende, Kenzice, 1808 Kende, Kendice, 1863–1913 Kende, 1920 Kendice, Kendzice, 1927– Kendice

                              The alternate name for Kishegy is Magura.

                              There are several Szent-Peters, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for. The source of this information is the Hungarian Village FInder, Atlas and Gazetteer for the Kingdom of Hungary.

                              Sue

                              These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                              ________________________________

                              Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                              ________________________________
                              Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                              Curt B.

                              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                              > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                              > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                              > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                              > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                            • Sue Martin
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                                Thanks, Michael. What is your source? Apparently the Atlas and Gazetteer that I am using may be incorrect.

[...]

                                [[https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628%5d [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757628 This is the link to the online
                                records for Kendice.
                                [[https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636%5d [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757636 This is the link to the online records for Petrovany.
                                [[https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648%5d [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757648 This is the link to the online records for Zupcany.
                                Since 2001 I have made six trips to Slovakia. If you would like to know something about the area you are hunting in I would be willing to correspond. Write to my e-mail address that is shadowed my name.

                                These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                                ________________________________

                                Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                                ________________________________
                                Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                                Curt B.

                                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                                > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                                > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                                > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                                  From the surname listings for Kendice - Straka Straka Sztraka Straková Strakova Sztrakova

                                  None found in Petrovany or Zupcany.

                                  The Sztraka/Straka name certainly was far from being rare around 1900. Radix (www.bogardi.com) lists 60 locations of the Sztraka name in Historic Hungary and 13 locations for Straka. Today the Slovak telephone directory lists 851 entries for Straka and another 13 for Sztraka. Weiszer/Weiser was also fairly common (48 instances of Weiszer and 196 of Weiser).The Slovak phone directory shows 15 entries for Weiszer and 37 for Weiser today.

                                  Janet

                                  The alternate name for Kishegy is Magura.

                                  There are several Szent-Peters, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for. The source of this information is the Hungarian Village FInder, Atlas and Gazetteer for the Kingdom of Hungary.

                                  Sue

                                  These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                                  ________________________________
                                  Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                                  Curt B.

                                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                  > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                                  > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                                  > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                                  > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                                • Michael Mojher
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                                    Source used is the 1995 Slovak Census database. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm On this page at the top is the heading Places. Under it you will find - Slovakia Surame & Settlement search (instructions) Go through the instructions to learn to use the site. As you will see there are many links her that you will want to learn to use. One-Step Morse Gold is great for Ellis Island. It found 282 listings for Sztraka. And 428 for Straka.

                                    Thanks, Michael. What is your source? Apparently the Atlas and Gazetteer that I am using may be incorrect.

                                    Sue

                                    The alternate name for Kishegy is Magura.

                                    There are several Szent-Peters, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for. The source of this information is the Hungarian Village FInder, Atlas and Gazetteer for the Kingdom of Hungary.

                                    Sue

                                    These are the places I have found on different records, in time frame order: Kis-Saros, Zupcany (Zsebfalu), Szt. Peter, (Kishegy) and then great-grandparents were married in Kendice (Kende). Grandfather was born in Petrovany. I don't see any of those places listed in your e-mail.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, this was not one of my relatives. I had thought the husband's name was SZTRAKA and therefore would be connected.

                                    ________________________________
                                    Sztasko is the spelling in the Hungarian alphabet. In Slovak it is spelled Stas~ko, [Sta歬o]. You will find it is a widespread name in Eastern Slovakia - Presov and Humenne areas.

                                    Curt B.

                                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                    > The man鈥檚 name is Joannes (John) Sztasko. In the 1995 Census there were only 4 listing living in PEDER, okr. KO艩ICE-VIDIEK, a suburb of Kosice.
                                    > It is also a spelling used by the village Staskov
                                    > 2231 Sta拧kov CA/ZI tren膷.
                                    > 1773 Staskov, Staskow, 1786 Staschow, 1808 Sztasko, Stasskow, Sta啪kow, 1863 Sztasko, 1873鈥"1902 Sztask贸, 1907鈥"1913 Szaniszl贸falva, 1920鈥" Sta拧kov

                                  • John
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 28, 2011
                                      For purposes of this thread, all instances should be in area code 051 + those that have cell phones but live near Presov.