Re: Translation help needed

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
      what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
      here.

      Joe Armata

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
        > "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
        > what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
        > here.
        >
        > Joe Armata
        >

        > > > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure
        out what
        > > > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
        which is
        > > > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
        what

        Think Joe Armata hit this geographic locator word right on the mark.

        If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
        [words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
        take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]

        (no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)

        mint = like, as

        az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
        'a')

        az alföldön mint

        http://www.britannica.com/seo/l/little-alfold/

        http://www.bekes.hungary.net/alfold2/alfld.htm
      • Imrich Petrov,M.D.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
          >>--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
          >> "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
          >> what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
          >> here.
          >>
          >> Joe Armata
          >If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
          >[words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
          >take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]
          >(no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)
          >mint = like, as
          >az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
          >'a')

          >az alföldön mint
          AZ ALFÖLDÖN MINT = on the Hungarian Plains as

          ( -ön means "on the")
          Imrich