Re: Dr. Q Translation help needed

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Debbie Maxwell <debmax@o...> wrote:

      > Unfortunatley, this was the complete text that was written on the
      page. I
      > typed it out exactly as it appears, including the words on each line
      and the
      > breakdown of the lines. I ran into the same difficulty when I tried
      > translating it. I was able to make out a few of the words from a
      hungarian
      > glossary, but some of these words have a slightly different spelling
      like
      > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure out
      what
      > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
      which is
      > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
      what
      > dolgoz?s would be. It could be dolgozos, workers? I know mint =
      like, egy =
      > one or a; ott = there. The writing is relatively decent, but some
      letters
      > are difficult to figure out. Trying to put the translated words
      together to
      > make sense of the notation is definitely a challenge.
      > Thanks for any help you can offer,
      > Debbie
      >
      > This is the way it appeared on the record.
      >
      > az alfoldan mint
      > arato gazdak
      > egy foldbirtokos
      > nal - dolgoz?s -
      > ott elhahozlak
      >

      > alfoldan could be alfololan
      > dolgoz?s could be dolgozos

      Observâtus/E'szrevétel/Comment column was concerned with the
      deceased former status in life.
      If a specific cause of death (haláloka) according to death
      certificate was not listed, then it was unknown.

      The word transliterations were close enough.
      Not only are words out of context difficult, lack of Hungarian
      accent marks can change the entire word meaning.

      nál = on, with, by
      dolgozó = worker
      dolgozó + szoba = closet; workroom

      gazdak = farmer; head of household = hospadár (Sv) = farmer
      arat (v) = harvest, reap
      arató = z^nec (Sv) reaper
      arató munkás = reaper
      arató gazdak = (type of farmer, one who reaped or harvested)

      (Back then , farming was a hierarchical occupation and one's status
      in community depended upon what kind of "farmer" one was.
      For example, you wouldn't let your daughter marry the son of a
      smaller acreage landowner)
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
        One more thought, I believe ehhalalozott can also mean starvation.

        Dr. "Q"