[Admin] Subject lines

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      A gentle reminder that subject lines are -very important!- Using subject
      lines such as "looking", "information" or "help" doesn't tell the reader
      anything about what you are discussing in the message.

      Many of us are on many lists, and use the subject line as a guide as to
      whether or not we will read the post. You will get more help if you use
      the subject line to reflect your post, put names, locations or a line in
      there to say what your post is about.

      And please remember that there are now over 300 people on the list....
      replies are set to go to the whole list.... so if you have something to
      go to only one member and you don't think all of us will benefit by
      reading it (such as personal messages or personal thank you's) please
      click on that person's name and send it privately. This has not been
      much of an issue before when we were smaller, but now that we are
      getting to be a larger list, I can see where it might cause
      difficulties.

      If you have not done so, there is a section on my Hints page, url below,
      on how to write a good query which you can read if you need more help.

      Maura

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
        **Please** change the subject lines to reflect the discussion when it
        changes...... there seem like dozens of messages now with "German
        Villages" title which are not about that subject.

        The only way lists help people is if they read the messages, and many,
        many people simply delete messages (or don't read them) because of
        subject line (even me at times). If you don't use the subject line
        correctly, you will not get the help you need.

        Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
        SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching