Re: Kamienka RC church records

  • John
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
      >>> Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for Dlhé nad Cirochou, Slovakia,<<<

      Online location is quite obscure.
      Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman CatholicSninaDlhé nad Cirochou

      I checked the relevant years to no avail. However, I did find another marriage that seems to be brothers and sisters of the same families.

      See film #208, page 115, 5 Feb 1899. Gonda marries Klamar.
    • John
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
        >>> Surnames include Gonda and Klamar. <<<

        Using current phone listings, we can find the GONDA surname in Kamenica nad Cirochou and KLAMAR IN Humenne. While this does not prove anything, at least it indicates that the surnames exist in the local area.

        Three km across the fields to the west of Kamienka is the village of Ptcie, where there is an RC church. I checked the RC records on line (filed under Humenne) and found your village in the listings but not the relevant surname births or marriage where I looked. However, these records seem to be in a state of disarray and need further research.
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
          Sharon,
          The other “clue” you provide is your list of surnames. Often a surname can be within a very small area or even only a single village. I went to the 1995 Slovak Census database which allows you to search for the top 10 locations a surname is found in Slovakia. Each location is given its “orkes”, like a county. By seeing which orkes your surname is found you can get a general idea where in Slovakia your family surnames came from.
          Cifra had 347 listing in 93 locations. 8 of the 10 orkes were in western Slovakia. Dubovica in orkes Presov had 20 listings, an interesting concentration.
          Fecko had 653 listings in 142 locations. All of the orkes were in eastern Slovakia. Presov in orkes Presov had 84 listings. 4 of the top ten locations were in orkes Presov.
          Fecko with a “v” accent mark above the “c” had 243 listing in 73 locations. Of the top ten locations orkes Svidnik had 5, the top 4 being there. Svidnik orkes is north of orkes Presov.
          Hromjak had 59 listings in 27 places. Of the top ten locations orkes Presov had 4, the top 3 being there. Three other orkes are neighboring to orkes Presov.
          Hromjak with a “ ‘ “ above the “a” had 65 listings in 25 locations. Orkes Presov had 3 locations that accounted for 19 of the 65 listings. Neighboring orkes Kosice had 3 locations.
          Koscelnik had 21 listings in 11 locations. The interconnecting orkes of Bardejov (6), Presov (3), Kosice (4) and Trebisov (4) accounted for 17 of the listings.
          Koscelnik with a “ ‘ “ above the “ i /” had 150 listing in 47 places. Orkes Presov had the top 5 locations. Orkes Bardejov had two and Kosice and Trebisov one location each.
          Rejnic with a “v” above the “c” had 17 listings in 8 locations. Orkes Poprad (7) and Presov (4) each had 2 locations. Orkes Stara Lubovna and Spisska Nova Ves which neighbor orkes Poprad had a location each. Orkes Presov is just east of those three orkes.
          Seginak with an “v” above the “n” and a “ ‘ “ above the “a” had 33 listings in 10 locations. Orkes Presov had three locations with 18 listings. Orkes Kosice with 4 locations and 6 listings. Bardejov (3), Poprad (3) Stara Lubovna (3) were the other orkes. Interestingly, in the capitol, Bratislava was 3 listings for a Seginak Cifra.
          Varso with a “v” above the “s” had 48 listing in 19 places. This name could be found in 13 orkes in eastern Slovakia. The most in any one location was 4 listings. Orkes Presov did have the most locations (4) with 5 listings.

          What can be concluded? All of the surnames are found in eastern Slovakia and most of them in orkes Presov. The one village, Kamienka in orkes Stara Lubovna, that people thought might be your Kiskanninse did not come up on any of the surname locations lists. Which does not mean it isn’t. But since it is in eastern Slovakia and all of your surnames are found predominately there it might give some credence to Kamienka being possibly Kiskanninse.

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
            On 12/9/2011 3:21 PM, Michael Mojher wrote:

> [...]
            > listings. Orkes Kosice with 4 locations and 6 listings. Bardejov (3),
            > Poprad (3) Stara Lubovna (3) were the other orkes. Interestingly, in
            > the capitol, Bratislava was 3 listings for a Seginak Cifra.
            > Varso with a “v” above the “s” had 48 listing in 19 places. This name
            > could be found in 13 orkes in eastern Slovakia. The most in any one
            > location was 4 listings. Orkes Presov did have the most locations (4)
            > with 5 listings.
            >
            > What can be concluded? All of the surnames are found in eastern
            > Slovakia and most of them in orkes Presov. The one village, Kamienka
            > in orkes Stara Lubovna, that people thought might be your Kiskanninse
            > did not come up on any of the surname locations lists. Which does not
            > mean it isn’t. But since it is in eastern Slovakia and all of your
            > surnames are found predominately there it might give some credence to

            It's "okres" not "orkes".

            Bill Brna

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
              Hi Sharon,

              Welcome to the group! One of your names caught my eye. I have a Maria Czifra in my family tree. I know very little about her or her family. I was told by a cousin that she was born in Kis-Salanz, or Slancik, Slovakia in 1836. She seems to have an alias - she appears as Simko and Czifra. So far I have only found her in Ujvaros (Slanske Nove Mesto today) on the records of her children's baptisms; I have not done much research on her or her parents and siblings yet. The family was Roman Catholic, though, not Greek Catholic. Funny, she married an Onda, not a Gonda!

              Good luck with your search!
              Debbie

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Joelson" <sj92115@...> wrote:

              > Hello Everyone!
              >
              > I am a retired teacher researching my Slovak roots.  My grandmother's parents immigrated to America in the late 1800's and settled in New Castle, Pennsylvania.  They are originally from the village of Stelbach, now Tichy Potok.   Family names include Hromyak, Seginak (Seginyak), Fecko, Koscelnik, Cifra, and Rejnic and Varso.  With the help of a cousin we have found family records in the Greek Church records from Tichy Potok (at FamilySearch).
              >
              > I have been told that my grandfather's parents also were Slovak but have not been able to locate where they came from.  Surnames include Gonda and Klamar.  I have a copy of my grandfather's baptismal record dated 1 Jun 1940, stating John Michael Gonda was born on 5 Jul 1899, in New Castle, Pennsylvania and baptized on 8 Jul 1899 at St. Joseph's Church (Roman Catholic?), New Castle, Pennsylvania.
              >
              > Father:  Michael Gonda, from Kiskanninse, Austria.  (I'm not sure this is the original spelling of the village, but it is clearly printed this way on the copy I have.)
              >
              > Mother:  Mary Klamar, from Kiskanninse, Aus.
              >
              > I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec 1899, for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18).  I really can't read the village from where they came.  It looks to be K. Kemencse (or something similar).  Destination: to brother (I believe to be a Klamar) in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
              >
              > My question is... Does anyone recognize the name of this village or a place where I can begin searching?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Sharon

            • sandra sileo
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                A Victor Balog was a teacher at Beaverdale High School in Beavedrdale, PA, Cambria County, during the 1950's.  I don't know if  he still has family in the area.

                Sandra Sileo

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                  Roman Catholic records for Kamienka are included in the Roman Catholic records of the nearby village of Pticie.

                  Curt B.

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                    Helene,

                    Congratulations on your 100th Issue!

                    I enjoy each and every one you publish and share them with my aunt who is
                    now 96, She loves to get them. Her mother was from Raslavice.

                    Best Wishes,
                    Noreen

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                      >>> Surnames include Gonda and Klamar. . . . stating John Michael Gonda was born on 5 Jul 1899, in New Castle, Pennsylvania . . .
                      I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec [1898], for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18). <<<

                      It's like a soap opera. Arriving December 27, 1898, both single but travelling together, they seemed to be escaping the possible wrath of parents. When Maria learned that she was pregnant in late 1898, it was time to get out of town -- and so they did.

                      There could possibly be a PA marriage record dated early 1899.

                      Genealogy isn't always dull!
                    • Marcia Nobrega
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                        Hi
                        Address:
                        Marcia Nobrega
                        11212 Salt Cedar Trl
                        Austin, TX 78750

                        Family names:
                        Kamerosky  from Sobranc

                        Fecanin
                        Kocher from Vysny Orlik

                        Of course variations of those spellings

                        Thanks
                        Marcia

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 24, 2011
                          Helene,
                          I never rec'd this issue. I let my subscription lapse and last issue you sent out late since I did not renew in time. I dont know if something happened because of that or not?

                          D'akujem & Vesele Vianoce a Stastny Novy Rok,

                          Rosemary Hvizdos Kosup

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                            Dear Rosemary - how odd - i have you renewed through

                            8/1/2012
                            so you should have received the fall 2011 issue -

                            if you didn't get that one let me know - i will mail to you right away - the Christmas issue
                            is in the mail - my printer took his good old time - but it came out nice - color on every page

                            best wishes

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                              Hi Helene,
                              I did receive fall issue, thanks. I'll just wait patiently for my Chiristmas issue!

                              I would like to talk to you sometime about my trip I'm hoping to take soon. I found relatives, all four g/parents are from Kluknava/Richnava. My one relative lives in Brataslava and he and his wife were here one year ago and we got to take them to our House of Czech/Slovak Republics here in San Diego at Balboa Park. The others are still in the area of original village. I have also been in touch w/some great folks I found on Slovak Pride.

                              My mom was also Helen (Hvizdos) born 1907. She passed away in 2005. She would be amazed at what I have found.
                              We have a small family and there is no one left to ask questions. Mom was really the only one who knew anyhing.

                              Best regards,
                              Rosemary Kosup

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                                Hello Rosemary:

                                What are the surnames of your ancestors in Richnava and Kluknava?

                                I noticed that you mentioned that your mom's name is Helen Hvizdos. One
                                of my great, great, great grandmothers is an Elizabeth Hvizdos (who was
                                married to my great, great, great grandfather Jan Tomasov).

                                I believe that we corresponded before. I also have a friend, Rich
                                Falzini, who I met at the local family history center, whose ancestors are also
                                from Richnava.

                                I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Please write me
                                directly at _David1Law@..._ (mailto:David1Law@...) .

                                Best regards,

                                David

                                Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                                DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                                SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                                DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames:
                                BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                                HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
                                RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT,
                                MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and
                                KROSNO, POLAND.

                                --- On Sun, 12/25/11, _rkslovakrose@..._ (mailto:rkslovakrose@...)

                                _helenezx@..._ (mailto:helenezx@...)