Re: [S-R] New to group and looking for help...

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 8, 2011
      Sharon,
      That arrival date was 1898 not 1899. It was very difficult to read the name of last residence on the manifest. It appears it was a two word name. The first part was abbreviated with either a K or an R. Between what appeared “e,z and s” it was hard to read. Hopefully, someone else will give it a look.
      The name Kiskanninse is not found in three databases I looked at. But I did come across a Kiskanizsa, Hungary. It is now a part of Nagykanizsa, Hungary.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 8, 2011
        This is the present day village of Kamienka. The greek Catholic records are on-line, under Stara Lubovna - Kamienka.

        Curt B

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Joelson" <sj92115@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > I am a retired teacher researching my Slovak roots.  My grandmother's parents immigrated to America in the late 1800's and settled in New Castle, Pennsylvania.  They are originally from the village of Stelbach, now Tichy Potok.   Family names include Hromyak, Seginak (Seginyak), Fecko, Koscelnik, Cifra, and Rejnic and Varso.  With the help of a cousin we have found family records in the Greek Church records from Tichy Potok (at FamilySearch).
        >
        > I have been told that my grandfather's parents also were Slovak but have not been able to locate where they came from.  Surnames include Gonda and Klamar.  I have a copy of my grandfather's baptismal record dated 1 Jun 1940, stating John Michael Gonda was born on 5 Jul 1899, in New Castle, Pennsylvania and baptized on 8 Jul 1899 at St. Joseph's Church (Roman Catholic?), New Castle, Pennsylvania.
        >
        > Father:  Michael Gonda, from Kiskanninse, Austria.  (I'm not sure this is the original spelling of the village, but it is clearly printed this way on the copy I have.)
        >
        > Mother:  Mary Klamar, from Kiskanninse, Aus.
        >
        > I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec 1899, for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18).  I really can't read the village from where they came.  It looks to be K. Kemencse (or something similar).  Destination: to brother (I believe to be a Klamar) in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
        >
        > My question is... Does anyone recognize the name of this village or a place where I can begin searching?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sharon

      • Sharon Joelson
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 8, 2011
          Michael, Thanks for correcting date (my mistake) and for responding
          quickly. I also thought that the K might be an R, but went with the K
          because of Baptismal record. I will try to locate places you have
          mentioned. Sharon
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          wrote:

          > Sharon,
          > That arrival date was 1898 not 1899. It was very difficult to read
          the name of last residence on the manifest. It appears it was a two word
          name. The first part was abbreviated with either a K or an R. Between
          what appeared “e,z and s” it was hard to read. Hopefully,
          someone else will give it a look.
          > The name Kiskanninse is not found in three databases I looked at.
          But I did come across a Kiskanizsa, Hungary. It is now a part of
          Nagykanizsa, Hungary.

        • Sharon Joelson
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 8, 2011
            Samuel,
            Thanks for the quick response. I assume all of the places mentioned are in
            current Slovakia. I have lots of searching to do.
            Sharon

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

            > Kis- Kemencze
            > Mala kamenka
            > Kisch-Kemencze, Mala Kamenka
            > Kis-Kemecze
            > Mala Kamenka
            > Mala Kamenica
            > Kiskemence
            >

            > Kamienka, Humenne

          • Sharon Joelson
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 8, 2011
              Curt, Thanks a lot. I'll see if I can find those records.
              Sharon

            • david1law@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                Dear Sharon:

                village near the better known placed called NAGYKANISZA. It is located in
                western Hungary to the southwest of Lake Balaton and in the relative
                vicinity of Austria. I hope that this helps a little.

                Best regards,

                David Baloga

                Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames:
                BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
                RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT,
                MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and
                KROSNO, POLAND.

                In a message dated 12/8/2011 11:09:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

              • John
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                  >>> Kamienka, Humenne
                  . . .

                  >>> Father: Michael Gonda, from Kiskanninse, Austria. (I'm not sure this is the original spelling of the village, but it is clearly printed this way on the copy I have.)
                  >
                  >>> Mother: Mary Klamar, from Kiskanninse, Aus.
                  >>> I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec 1899, for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18).

                  <<<

                  It looks like the small village of Kamienka has been pinned down. It is just south of Kamenica nad Cirochou in northeastern Slovakia. It was in the former Zemplen Megye = county.

                  Some good but not great news.

                  The 1869 Hungarian Census is available. However, it is only available on film and not online. You should be able to find the families listed in the 1869 Hungarian Census and that may give you a number of earlier generations and also confirm their religion.

                  Here is the LDS reference number for the census film:
                  Kiskázmér (Malý Kazimír) -- Kiskemencze (Kamienka) -- Kiskövesd (Malý Kevežd) -- Kisráska (Malé Raškovce) Film #722721.

                  Are you familiar with the ordering process (may be online for you) and your local LDS Family History Center?

                  Happy squinting.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                    As nearly as I can tell from the incomplete description of the RC church records, I am guessing that RC records covering Kamienka are found (online) listed under:

                    Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for Dlhé nad Cirochou, Slovakia, formerly Cziroka-Hosszumezo, Zemplén, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Modra, Slovakia, formerly Modra Zemplén, Hungary and Kamenica nad Cirochou, Slovakia, formely Nagy- Kemencze, Zemplén, Hungary.

                    Inv. c. 204 Krsty 1805-1843
                    Inv. c. 205 Manželstvá 1806-1843
                    Inv. c. 206 Úmrtia 1806-1843
                    Inv. c. 207 Krsty 1844-1885
                    Inv. c. 207 (pokrač.) Krsty 1885-1887
                    Inv. c. 208 Manželstvá 1844-1903
                    Inv. c. 209 Úmrtia 1844-1887
                    Inv. c. 210 Krsty 1888-1906
                    Inv. c. 210 (pokrač.) Krsty 1906-1925
                    Inv. c. 211 Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1882-1895

                    Good luck.
                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                      Recently published my 100th issue of "Slovakia" magazine - which highlights history, culture, tradition and genealogy.

                      if you would like a free sample copy please e mail me directly.

                      Helene Cincebeaux
                      helenezx@...

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                        >>> Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for Dlhé nad Cirochou, Slovakia,<<<

                        Online location is quite obscure.
                        Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman CatholicSninaDlhé nad Cirochou

                        I checked the relevant years to no avail. However, I did find another marriage that seems to be brothers and sisters of the same families.

                        See film #208, page 115, 5 Feb 1899. Gonda marries Klamar.
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                          >>> Surnames include Gonda and Klamar. <<<

                          Using current phone listings, we can find the GONDA surname in Kamenica nad Cirochou and KLAMAR IN Humenne. While this does not prove anything, at least it indicates that the surnames exist in the local area.

                          Three km across the fields to the west of Kamienka is the village of Ptcie, where there is an RC church. I checked the RC records on line (filed under Humenne) and found your village in the listings but not the relevant surname births or marriage where I looked. However, these records seem to be in a state of disarray and need further research.
                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                            Sharon,
                            The other “clue” you provide is your list of surnames. Often a surname can be within a very small area or even only a single village. I went to the 1995 Slovak Census database which allows you to search for the top 10 locations a surname is found in Slovakia. Each location is given its “orkes”, like a county. By seeing which orkes your surname is found you can get a general idea where in Slovakia your family surnames came from.
                            Cifra had 347 listing in 93 locations. 8 of the 10 orkes were in western Slovakia. Dubovica in orkes Presov had 20 listings, an interesting concentration.
                            Fecko had 653 listings in 142 locations. All of the orkes were in eastern Slovakia. Presov in orkes Presov had 84 listings. 4 of the top ten locations were in orkes Presov.
                            Fecko with a “v” accent mark above the “c” had 243 listing in 73 locations. Of the top ten locations orkes Svidnik had 5, the top 4 being there. Svidnik orkes is north of orkes Presov.
                            Hromjak had 59 listings in 27 places. Of the top ten locations orkes Presov had 4, the top 3 being there. Three other orkes are neighboring to orkes Presov.
                            Hromjak with a “ ‘ “ above the “a” had 65 listings in 25 locations. Orkes Presov had 3 locations that accounted for 19 of the 65 listings. Neighboring orkes Kosice had 3 locations.
                            Koscelnik had 21 listings in 11 locations. The interconnecting orkes of Bardejov (6), Presov (3), Kosice (4) and Trebisov (4) accounted for 17 of the listings.
                            Koscelnik with a “ ‘ “ above the “ i /” had 150 listing in 47 places. Orkes Presov had the top 5 locations. Orkes Bardejov had two and Kosice and Trebisov one location each.
                            Rejnic with a “v” above the “c” had 17 listings in 8 locations. Orkes Poprad (7) and Presov (4) each had 2 locations. Orkes Stara Lubovna and Spisska Nova Ves which neighbor orkes Poprad had a location each. Orkes Presov is just east of those three orkes.
                            Seginak with an “v” above the “n” and a “ ‘ “ above the “a” had 33 listings in 10 locations. Orkes Presov had three locations with 18 listings. Orkes Kosice with 4 locations and 6 listings. Bardejov (3), Poprad (3) Stara Lubovna (3) were the other orkes. Interestingly, in the capitol, Bratislava was 3 listings for a Seginak Cifra.
                            Varso with a “v” above the “s” had 48 listing in 19 places. This name could be found in 13 orkes in eastern Slovakia. The most in any one location was 4 listings. Orkes Presov did have the most locations (4) with 5 listings.

                            What can be concluded? All of the surnames are found in eastern Slovakia and most of them in orkes Presov. The one village, Kamienka in orkes Stara Lubovna, that people thought might be your Kiskanninse did not come up on any of the surname locations lists. Which does not mean it isn’t. But since it is in eastern Slovakia and all of your surnames are found predominately there it might give some credence to Kamienka being possibly Kiskanninse.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                              On 12/9/2011 3:21 PM, Michael Mojher wrote:

> [...]
                              > listings. Orkes Kosice with 4 locations and 6 listings. Bardejov (3),
                              > Poprad (3) Stara Lubovna (3) were the other orkes. Interestingly, in
                              > the capitol, Bratislava was 3 listings for a Seginak Cifra.
                              > Varso with a “v” above the “s” had 48 listing in 19 places. This name
                              > could be found in 13 orkes in eastern Slovakia. The most in any one
                              > location was 4 listings. Orkes Presov did have the most locations (4)
                              > with 5 listings.
                              >
                              > What can be concluded? All of the surnames are found in eastern
                              > Slovakia and most of them in orkes Presov. The one village, Kamienka
                              > in orkes Stara Lubovna, that people thought might be your Kiskanninse
                              > did not come up on any of the surname locations lists. Which does not
                              > mean it isn’t. But since it is in eastern Slovakia and all of your
                              > surnames are found predominately there it might give some credence to

                              It's "okres" not "orkes".

                              Bill Brna

                            • deeellessbee
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                                Hi Sharon,

                                Welcome to the group! One of your names caught my eye. I have a Maria Czifra in my family tree. I know very little about her or her family. I was told by a cousin that she was born in Kis-Salanz, or Slancik, Slovakia in 1836. She seems to have an alias - she appears as Simko and Czifra. So far I have only found her in Ujvaros (Slanske Nove Mesto today) on the records of her children's baptisms; I have not done much research on her or her parents and siblings yet. The family was Roman Catholic, though, not Greek Catholic. Funny, she married an Onda, not a Gonda!

                                Good luck with your search!
                                Debbie

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Joelson" <sj92115@...> wrote:

                                > Hello Everyone!
                                >
                                > I am a retired teacher researching my Slovak roots.  My grandmother's parents immigrated to America in the late 1800's and settled in New Castle, Pennsylvania.  They are originally from the village of Stelbach, now Tichy Potok.   Family names include Hromyak, Seginak (Seginyak), Fecko, Koscelnik, Cifra, and Rejnic and Varso.  With the help of a cousin we have found family records in the Greek Church records from Tichy Potok (at FamilySearch).
                                >
                                > I have been told that my grandfather's parents also were Slovak but have not been able to locate where they came from.  Surnames include Gonda and Klamar.  I have a copy of my grandfather's baptismal record dated 1 Jun 1940, stating John Michael Gonda was born on 5 Jul 1899, in New Castle, Pennsylvania and baptized on 8 Jul 1899 at St. Joseph's Church (Roman Catholic?), New Castle, Pennsylvania.
                                >
                                > Father:  Michael Gonda, from Kiskanninse, Austria.  (I'm not sure this is the original spelling of the village, but it is clearly printed this way on the copy I have.)
                                >
                                > Mother:  Mary Klamar, from Kiskanninse, Aus.
                                >
                                > I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec 1899, for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18).  I really can't read the village from where they came.  It looks to be K. Kemencse (or something similar).  Destination: to brother (I believe to be a Klamar) in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
                                >
                                > My question is... Does anyone recognize the name of this village or a place where I can begin searching?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Sharon

                              • sandra sileo
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                                  A Victor Balog was a teacher at Beaverdale High School in Beavedrdale, PA, Cambria County, during the 1950's.  I don't know if  he still has family in the area.

                                  Sandra Sileo

                                • CurtB
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 9, 2011
                                    Roman Catholic records for Kamienka are included in the Roman Catholic records of the nearby village of Pticie.

                                    Curt B.

                                  • nhasior@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                      Helene,

                                      Congratulations on your 100th Issue!

                                      I enjoy each and every one you publish and share them with my aunt who is
                                      now 96, She loves to get them. Her mother was from Raslavice.

                                      Best Wishes,
                                      Noreen

                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                        >>> Surnames include Gonda and Klamar. . . . stating John Michael Gonda was born on 5 Jul 1899, in New Castle, Pennsylvania . . .
                                        I have also located an immigration record at Ellis Island dated 27 Dec [1898], for Mihaly Gonda (26) and Maria Klamar (18). <<<

                                        It's like a soap opera. Arriving December 27, 1898, both single but travelling together, they seemed to be escaping the possible wrath of parents. When Maria learned that she was pregnant in late 1898, it was time to get out of town -- and so they did.

                                        There could possibly be a PA marriage record dated early 1899.

                                        Genealogy isn't always dull!
                                      • Marcia Nobrega
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                          Hi
                                          Address:
                                          Marcia Nobrega
                                          11212 Salt Cedar Trl
                                          Austin, TX 78750

                                          Family names:
                                          Kamerosky  from Sobranc

                                          Fecanin
                                          Kocher from Vysny Orlik

                                          Of course variations of those spellings

                                          Thanks
                                          Marcia

                                          ________________________________

                                        • rkslovakrose@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 24, 2011
                                            Helene,
                                            I never rec'd this issue. I let my subscription lapse and last issue you sent out late since I did not renew in time. I dont know if something happened because of that or not?

                                            D'akujem & Vesele Vianoce a Stastny Novy Rok,

                                            Rosemary Hvizdos Kosup

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                                              Dear Rosemary - how odd - i have you renewed through

                                              8/1/2012
                                              so you should have received the fall 2011 issue -

                                              if you didn't get that one let me know - i will mail to you right away - the Christmas issue
                                              is in the mail - my printer took his good old time - but it came out nice - color on every page

                                              best wishes

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                                                Hi Helene,
                                                I did receive fall issue, thanks. I'll just wait patiently for my Chiristmas issue!

                                                I would like to talk to you sometime about my trip I'm hoping to take soon. I found relatives, all four g/parents are from Kluknava/Richnava. My one relative lives in Brataslava and he and his wife were here one year ago and we got to take them to our House of Czech/Slovak Republics here in San Diego at Balboa Park. The others are still in the area of original village. I have also been in touch w/some great folks I found on Slovak Pride.

                                                My mom was also Helen (Hvizdos) born 1907. She passed away in 2005. She would be amazed at what I have found.
                                                We have a small family and there is no one left to ask questions. Mom was really the only one who knew anyhing.

                                                Best regards,
                                                Rosemary Kosup

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 25, 2011
                                                  Hello Rosemary:

                                                  What are the surnames of your ancestors in Richnava and Kluknava?

                                                  I noticed that you mentioned that your mom's name is Helen Hvizdos. One
                                                  of my great, great, great grandmothers is an Elizabeth Hvizdos (who was
                                                  married to my great, great, great grandfather Jan Tomasov).

                                                  I believe that we corresponded before. I also have a friend, Rich
                                                  Falzini, who I met at the local family history center, whose ancestors are also
                                                  from Richnava.

                                                  I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Please write me
                                                  directly at _David1Law@..._ (mailto:David1Law@...) .

                                                  Best regards,

                                                  David

                                                  Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                                                  DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                                                  SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                                                  DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames:
                                                  BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                                                  HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
                                                  RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT,
                                                  MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and
                                                  KROSNO, POLAND.

                                                  --- On Sun, 12/25/11, _rkslovakrose@..._ (mailto:rkslovakrose@...)

                                                  _helenezx@..._ (mailto:helenezx@...)