Re: [S-R] Dr. Q Translation help needed

  • Debbie Maxwell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
      Thanks so much, every bit of help is much appreciated.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Debbie Maxwell <debmax@o...> wrote:

        > Unfortunatley, this was the complete text that was written on the
        page. I
        > typed it out exactly as it appears, including the words on each line
        and the
        > breakdown of the lines. I ran into the same difficulty when I tried
        > translating it. I was able to make out a few of the words from a
        hungarian
        > glossary, but some of these words have a slightly different spelling
        like
        > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure out
        what
        > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
        which is
        > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
        what
        > dolgoz?s would be. It could be dolgozos, workers? I know mint =
        like, egy =
        > one or a; ott = there. The writing is relatively decent, but some
        letters
        > are difficult to figure out. Trying to put the translated words
        together to
        > make sense of the notation is definitely a challenge.
        > Thanks for any help you can offer,
        > Debbie
        >
        > This is the way it appeared on the record.
        >
        > az alfoldan mint
        > arato gazdak
        > egy foldbirtokos
        > nal - dolgoz?s -
        > ott elhahozlak
        >

        > alfoldan could be alfololan
        > dolgoz?s could be dolgozos

        Observâtus/E'szrevétel/Comment column was concerned with the
        deceased former status in life.
        If a specific cause of death (haláloka) according to death
        certificate was not listed, then it was unknown.

        The word transliterations were close enough.
        Not only are words out of context difficult, lack of Hungarian
        accent marks can change the entire word meaning.

        nál = on, with, by
        dolgozó = worker
        dolgozó + szoba = closet; workroom

        gazdak = farmer; head of household = hospadár (Sv) = farmer
        arat (v) = harvest, reap
        arató = z^nec (Sv) reaper
        arató munkás = reaper
        arató gazdak = (type of farmer, one who reaped or harvested)

        (Back then , farming was a hierarchical occupation and one's status
        in community depended upon what kind of "farmer" one was.
        For example, you wouldn't let your daughter marry the son of a
        smaller acreage landowner)
      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
          One more thought, I believe ehhalalozott can also mean starvation.

          Dr. "Q"