RE: [S-R] Re: Slovak Names

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2011
      The issue of translating given names has always caught my attention.

      My paternal grandfather's English name was "George" but even 60 years after
      he came to America he was still know as "Juri" by family and friends.

      My maternal grandfather's English name was "John" but to everyone up until
      his death he was "Jan" or "Jannos".

      So in my mind, trying to translate a given name into its English version
      seems odd to me. In my family they were always Juri and Jan and that is the
      way that I record them.

      Enjoy,
      Frank
      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"