Re: [S-R] Dr. Q Translation help needed

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
      I will forward this to a Hungarian friend and ask him to unscramble it.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
        Thanks so much, every bit of help is much appreciated.

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Debbie Maxwell <debmax@o...> wrote:

          > Unfortunatley, this was the complete text that was written on the
          page. I
          > typed it out exactly as it appears, including the words on each line
          and the
          > breakdown of the lines. I ran into the same difficulty when I tried
          > translating it. I was able to make out a few of the words from a
          hungarian
          > glossary, but some of these words have a slightly different spelling
          like
          > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure out
          what
          > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
          which is
          > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
          what
          > dolgoz?s would be. It could be dolgozos, workers? I know mint =
          like, egy =
          > one or a; ott = there. The writing is relatively decent, but some
          letters
          > are difficult to figure out. Trying to put the translated words
          together to
          > make sense of the notation is definitely a challenge.
          > Thanks for any help you can offer,
          > Debbie
          >
          > This is the way it appeared on the record.
          >
          > az alfoldan mint
          > arato gazdak
          > egy foldbirtokos
          > nal - dolgoz?s -
          > ott elhahozlak
          >

          > alfoldan could be alfololan
          > dolgoz?s could be dolgozos

          Observâtus/E'szrevétel/Comment column was concerned with the
          deceased former status in life.
          If a specific cause of death (haláloka) according to death
          certificate was not listed, then it was unknown.

          The word transliterations were close enough.
          Not only are words out of context difficult, lack of Hungarian
          accent marks can change the entire word meaning.

          nál = on, with, by
          dolgozó = worker
          dolgozó + szoba = closet; workroom

          gazdak = farmer; head of household = hospadár (Sv) = farmer
          arat (v) = harvest, reap
          arató = z^nec (Sv) reaper
          arató munkás = reaper
          arató gazdak = (type of farmer, one who reaped or harvested)

          (Back then , farming was a hierarchical occupation and one's status
          in community depended upon what kind of "farmer" one was.
          For example, you wouldn't let your daughter marry the son of a
          smaller acreage landowner)
        • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
            One more thought, I believe ehhalalozott can also mean starvation.

            Dr. "Q"