Re: MARKOTAN-HORNAK-KOCIS-FARKASOVSKY

  • mark JESKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
      Ahoj Marlene

      There is a small town called ZEMPLINSKY BRANC located south of the city
      of TREBISOV, in the county of ZEMPLIN in Eastern Slovakia.

      This is the closest I could come to RAM.

      The ZEMPL. part is a standard abbreviation for ZEMPLIN.

      Hope this helps.
    • Andy Verostko
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999

        Marlene K. Markotan wrote:

        > From: "Marlene K. Markotan" <mmarkotan@...>
        >
        > I am new to the list.� My husband is Slovak and we recently started researching his family.
        >
        > My husband also has a couple of other Slovak ancestors.� George and Mary (FRANKO) HORNICK/HORNAK.� They came to America around 1890 and settled near Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co. PA.� Mary was born in 1864.� I don't know what part of Slovakia they are from.
        > .
        >
        > Any information on these families would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Marlene Markotan

        Marlene - There was a Hornak family in Mount Pleasant that belonged to the
        Visitation Parish.� In fact One of the Hornak girls became a nun and recently
        celebrated her 75th anniversary.�� Anyway the Visitation records are quite good
        in the early 1900 time frame but you will have to schedule a visit and know what
        data you are looking for.� The early records identify what town in Slovakia
        parents, wedding� couples or deceased came from.� I good search for births
        deaths and marriages should get you a name of a town in Slovakia.� Oh, the
        Visitation is a Slovak Parish.� I no longer live there but I still have family
        in the area and visit only a couple times a year.
        .

        .
        Regards

        Andy Verostko

        averostko@...

        http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/

        .
      • Marlene K. Markotan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
          Thanks for the information. I went to the Visitation Cemetery for the first
          time last Sunday. I called the church Monday to get more information. I
          found several Hornick's buried there. A couple are definately related. I
          don't know who the rest are. I have the name and phone number of a couple
          of relatives who still live in Mount Pleasant. We tried contacting one
          several times, but no one answered. I found who I think is Mary (Franko)
          Hornick and her second husband, George Banks buried there. I didn't find
          George Hornick. He was killed in some sort of coal mine accident sometime
          after 1907. I thought maybe he doesn't have a stone, so I called the
          church hoping they could find the record. They said they would call be back
          in 3-4 days.

          I didn't realize you could search through Catholic church records yourself.
          The Pittsburgh Diocese told me they are the only people who can search
          through their records. I got the impression the church doesn't keep a copy
          of the records once they are sent to the Diocese Archival office. I guess I
          just figured the other Catholic Diocese have the same policy.

          Thanks again,

          Marlene Markotan

          >> I am new to the list. My husband is Slovak and we recently started
          researching his family.

          >> My husband also has a couple of other Slovak ancestors. George and Mary
          (FRANKO) HORNICK/HORNAK. They came to America around 1890 and settled near
          Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co. PA. Mary was born in 1864. I don't know
          what part of Slovakia they are from.
          >> .
          >>
          >> Any information on these families would be appreciated.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> Marlene Markotan
          >

          >Marlene - There was a Hornak family in Mount Pleasant that belonged to the
          >Visitation Parish. In fact One of the Hornak girls became a nun and
          recently
          >celebrated her 75th anniversary. Anyway the Visitation records are quite
          good
          >in the early 1900 time frame but you will have to schedule a visit and know
          what
          >data you are looking for. The early records identify what town in Slovakia
          >parents, wedding couples or deceased came from. I good search for births
          >deaths and marriages should get you a name of a town in Slovakia. Oh, the
          >Visitation is a Slovak Parish. I no longer live there but I still have
          family
          >in the area and visit only a couple times a year.
          >.
          >
          >.
          >Regards
          >
          >Andy Verostko
          >
          >averostko@...
          >
          >http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/
          >
          >.

          >ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
          >For details,

        • Marlene K. Markotan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
            Thanks this should help.

          • CPRAMUKA@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
              In a message dated 8/4/99 10:32:32 AM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com writes:

              <<Also Michael and Anna (FARKASOVSKY) KOCIS. They lived in Leisenring,
              Fayette Co. PA. Anna came to America in 1898. According to her passenger
              list she was born in Zempl Bam Slovakia.>>

              Marlene,

              My husband's greatgrandmother was Anna Farkasovsky from Jamnik, Spis,
              Slovakia. I'm sure his Anna and yours are not the same, but there are many
              FARKASOVSKYs in Jamnik. It is just east of Spisska Nova Ves. The church was
              in the next village, Odorin, so look for Odorin records in the LDS
              microfilms. The film numbers are: 1739661 through 1739663 inclusive.

              Dee Taylor
              CPRAMUKA@...