Re: [S-R] Dr. Q Translation help needed

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
      Well then you'll have to plow through it a word at a time:

      dolgozo - worker

      I don't know alfoldan and arato nor do I have a guess yet.

      Dr. "Q"

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
        I will forward this to a Hungarian friend and ask him to unscramble it.

        > Well then you'll have to plow through it a word at a time:
        >
        > dolgozo - worker
        >
        > I don't know alfoldan and arato nor do I have a guess yet.
        >
        > Dr. "Q"
        >
        > Debbie Maxwell wrote:
        >
        > > Unfortunatley, this was the complete text that was written on the page.
        > > typed it out exactly as it appears, including the words on each line and
        the
        > > breakdown of the lines. I ran into the same difficulty when I tried
        > > translating it. I was able to make out a few of the words from a
        hungarian
        > > glossary, but some of these words have a slightly different spelling
        like
        > > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure out
        what
        > > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda which is
        > > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure what
        > > dolgoz?s would be. It could be dolgozos, workers? I know mint = like,
        egy =
        > > one or a; ott = there. The writing is relatively decent, but some
        letters
        > > are difficult to figure out. Trying to put the translated words together
        > > make sense of the notation is definitely a challenge.
        > > Thanks for any help you can offer,
        > > Debbie
        > >
        > > This is the way it appeared on the record.
        > >
        > > az alfoldan mint
        > > arato gazdak
        > > egy foldbirtokos
        > > nal - dolgoz?s -
        > > ott elhahozlak
        > >
        > > alfoldan could be alfololan
        > > dolgoz?s could be dolgozos

      • Debbie Maxwell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
          Thanks so much, every bit of help is much appreciated.

        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Debbie Maxwell <debmax@o...> wrote:

            > Unfortunatley, this was the complete text that was written on the
            page. I
            > typed it out exactly as it appears, including the words on each line
            and the
            > breakdown of the lines. I ran into the same difficulty when I tried
            > translating it. I was able to make out a few of the words from a
            hungarian
            > glossary, but some of these words have a slightly different spelling
            like
            > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure out
            what
            > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
            which is
            > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
            what
            > dolgoz?s would be. It could be dolgozos, workers? I know mint =
            like, egy =
            > one or a; ott = there. The writing is relatively decent, but some
            letters
            > are difficult to figure out. Trying to put the translated words
            together to
            > make sense of the notation is definitely a challenge.
            > Thanks for any help you can offer,
            > Debbie
            >
            > This is the way it appeared on the record.
            >
            > az alfoldan mint
            > arato gazdak
            > egy foldbirtokos
            > nal - dolgoz?s -
            > ott elhahozlak
            >

            > alfoldan could be alfololan
            > dolgoz?s could be dolgozos

            Observâtus/E'szrevétel/Comment column was concerned with the
            deceased former status in life.
            If a specific cause of death (haláloka) according to death
            certificate was not listed, then it was unknown.

            The word transliterations were close enough.
            Not only are words out of context difficult, lack of Hungarian
            accent marks can change the entire word meaning.

            nál = on, with, by
            dolgozó = worker
            dolgozó + szoba = closet; workroom

            gazdak = farmer; head of household = hospadár (Sv) = farmer
            arat (v) = harvest, reap
            arató = z^nec (Sv) reaper
            arató munkás = reaper
            arató gazdak = (type of farmer, one who reaped or harvested)

            (Back then , farming was a hierarchical occupation and one's status
            in community depended upon what kind of "farmer" one was.
            For example, you wouldn't let your daughter marry the son of a
            smaller acreage landowner)
          • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
              One more thought, I believe ehhalalozott can also mean starvation.

              Dr. "Q"