Crossed out records

  • magda
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2011
      That's interesting about the marriage record &  " backing out " . When a child's baptism is crossed out , does it mean he was deceased ?? I know I have seen them with crosses " + " around the baptism when they are deceased but what does it mean when the entire baptism is crossed out ?? No notes either to gain a clue .

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2011
        I've only seen a few like that in RC records. One was date related. IE The
        record was written in a space at the end of the previous month and was
        re-written later in its correct place. The other was a RUBRIC error, where
        the scribe wrote the entry under an old method/language, but crossed it out
        and re-entered it under new rules. There was one occasion where the scribe
        wrote in the wrong part of the book - a birth record in the marriages part.

        Peter