crossed out marriage record

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
      I came across a marriage record that is crossed out, and there seems to be some explanation provided, but google translator is not cooperating. All I can figure out is "but after entering the married" and the rest does not translate.

      Can anyone help out?

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22648-5721-68?cc=1554443&wc=12755612

      Line 9 (even the line number is crossed out) - Janos Zuber and Maria Fedortsak.

      Thank you!
      Debbie
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
        The note says "I wrote the entry before the marriage, then the couple
        withdrew, therefore illegal"
        They backed out of the marriage. :)
        Peter

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
          Sorry - not illegal but 'the record is therefore meaningless'.

          On 3 December 2011 18:36, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

          > The note says "I wrote the entry before the marriage, then the couple
          > withdrew, therefore illegal"
          > They backed out of the marriage. :)
          > Peter

        • deeellessbee
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
            Ah, interesting. I was hoping for something a bit juicier, lol, - or at least a little more detail - but I guess that's that! Google translate kept throwing in the word "lie" no matter how I spelled or rearranged the spacing of the letters, so I was expecting something more gossipy!

            Thanks so much,
            Debbie

            > Sorry - not illegal but 'the record is therefore meaningless'.
            >
            > On 3 December 2011 18:36, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
            >
            > > The note says "I wrote the entry before the marriage, then the couple
            > > withdrew, therefore illegal"
            > > They backed out of the marriage. :)
            > > Peter

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
              I bet it was very juicy! Well they were both widower/widow. Normally those
              kind of pairings are to look after children or for companionship. The 45 yr
              old Zuber may of gotten a better offer ;) or maybe the lady didn't want to
              look after Zuber's children and she got a better offer! One way to find out
              is to trace them both and see what happened.

              I've certainly found some great gossipy/juicy stuff way back in my line!
              Good enough for at least a lunchtime soap series :)

              Harking back to the emails, There is not that much difference between Zuber
              and Huber in its written form so I wouldn't be too surprised if this
              happened some time ago.

              Peter

              On 4 December 2011 02:18, deeellessbee <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Ah, interesting. I was hoping for something a bit juicier, lol, - or at
              > least a little more detail - but I guess that's that! Google translate kept
              > throwing in the word "lie" no matter how I spelled or rearranged the
              > spacing of the letters, so I was expecting something more gossipy!
              >
              > Thanks so much,
              > Debbie
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry - not illegal but 'the record is therefore meaningless'.
              > >
              > > On 3 December 2011 18:36, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > The note says "I wrote the entry before the marriage, then the couple
              > > > withdrew, therefore illegal"
              > > > They backed out of the marriage. :)
              > > > Peter

            • deeellessbee
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
                Good idea - some day when I'm feeling stuck but still want to research, I'll try tracing those two - John and Maria - and see if I can find what they did after backing out of their marriage! Actually, two lines below is a marriage record for another Janos Zuber, 24, who I have connected to a family I'm researching. I'm wondering if the older Janos Zuber who got the cold feet was his father. Something fun to work on!

                I too have noticed the crossed out birth records and wondered what they meant. I know if a baby died there was usually a cross next to their name; is a crossed out birth record a mistake? Hard to think they would actually cross out a birth record of a child who died - after all, if they only lived for even a day they were still born. Interesting....

                Debbie

              • mkoschik@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2011
                  Somehow this reminded me of the old Stan Freberg sketch, "John and Marsha."