Help w/ Village Name

  • tkejuice1208
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
      Hello all. I've spent the better part of a year attempting to figure out the name of this village without success. I first saw it scribbled on a shipping manifest for a relative arriving in the U.S. via Ellis Island. I have encountered it again in the marriage record of my GG Grandparents.

      The marriage record dated 10/13/1897 and is from the Levoča > Spišský Štvrtok collection online. Here is the link:

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22652-15372-84?cc=1554443&wc=12760522

      "Szepes-" is the first part which is obvious, but i cannot make out the second part. Is anyone able to assist?

      Thank you in advance!

      -Eric
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
        It looks like Szepessumegini, Szepessumeg = Szmizany

        Joe

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
          Thanks so much, Joe. I believe you are on to something!

          -Eric
        • treimer@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
            In that case, search also under Schmögen, its old German name.

            Thomas

            ---- "Armata wrote:
            > It looks like Szepessumegini, Szepessumeg = Szmizany
            >

            > Joe
            >

            > ________________________________

          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
              Further to previous replies. Cisarik agrees in that the surname Vlcak appears in Smizany records. Note sp.

              ps: your ID leads me to believe that you have a certain interest in wine.
            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                >>> The marriage record dated 10/13/1897 and is from the Levoča > Spišský Štvrtok collection online. Here is the link: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22652-15372-84?cc=1554443&wc=12760522 <<<

                I would expect Stephanus to be found in Smizany birth records for 1872 BUT he's not there. See the records at:

                Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
                Roman Catholic
                Spišská Nová Ves
                Smižany
                Baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths (Krsty, birmovaní, manželstvá, úmrtia) 1743-1900
                Page 417/535
              • tkejuice1208
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Thanks for checking, John. I have been able to spend the bulk of the day so far combing through the Smizany collection and come up virtually empty handed. I indexed the various segments of the collection into record type / date ranges, and organized according to image numbers 1-535. The Smizany records only account for a small portion of this collection and gaps exist. The only Vilcsek I've been able to locate is on 172 of 535 (death record).

                  I still have more to review, but the absence of the surname in the marriage records has me concerned. I also looked at the Spišská Nová Ves records for his birth record from 1870 - 1876 with negative results.

                  I am perplexed!

                  PS: Not a wine fan ;)

                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                    Dear John:

                    What are the full names of the people being searched for in SMIZANY? I know
                    someone whose ancestors are from SMIZANY. And some of my ancestors lived
                    nearby in DOMANOVCE and SPISSKY HRHOV.

                    I hope that everything is going well for you, my friend.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                    DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                    SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                    DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames:
                    BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                    HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
                    RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT,
                    MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and
                    KROSNO, POLAND.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                      >>> What are the full names of the people being searched for in SMIZANY? I know someone whose ancestors are from SMIZANY. And some of my ancestors lived nearby in DOMANOVCE and SPISSKY HRHOV. <<<

                      David, it's not me but Eric who is researching Smizany. The surname is VLCAK.
                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                        Dear John:

                        Thank you. I wrote to my friend whose ancestors came from SMIZANY and
                        informed her that someone else was researching the village. I will keep this
                        forum posted if there is a possible connection.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                          Hello David, I am researching in the area of Smizany. My GG Grandfather was Stephanus Vilcsek. At age 25, he married a Korsala from Dravce in 1897. The marriage record says that he was from Szepes-Sumeghimi. I know from immigration records that he had a sister named Anna who also claimed Sz-Sumeg as the village of origin. Unfortunately, the Smizany collection currently available online doesn't account for the family's presence in the village. I have started researching in the Letanovce collection. Thanks for passing my information along. Please wish me luck!

                          -Eric