Help with Fias Birth Records

  • creativelr
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I'm excited to have found these two birth records as they include my GGGma's maiden name.

      I would appreciate some help with reading them, though. I am unsure of the writing and there have been different interpretations of these letters in the names.

      photo 4008: Basilius _________? GC (What is Basilius' last name?)
      Maria Jankanics
      What is written beneath Maria's name? translation?

      Joannes Jankanics GC
      Anna Ba.....? (What is Anna's last name?)
      what is written below her name? translation?

      photo 4007 is a broader view, but also includes the sponsors - can someone please read the names? I believe it's Joannes Stefanik and Maria ? Cannot read those last names - Joannes is the sponsor for both Basilius' child and Joannes Jankanics child.

      photo 4015 (3rd record from bottom) and 4016 (a close up)

      are a different child, but same parents - Joannes Jankanics and Anna _____? Can you compare with 4008 and tell me her last name? Also, Joannes Stefanik is the sponsor again and with one of the same Maria's as above - again, her last name?

      Anna Baj..... is my GGGma - and some believed her last name to be Stefanik (maiden) so I am wondering if she was married prior to marrying Jankanics - I'll figure that out in future trips to FHC to go through the book, but ran out of time!

      Here is the link to the album and photos (Fias Jankanics)

      Thank you! Linda
    • John
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
        >>> I'm excited to have found these two birth records as they include my GGGma's maiden name.

        I would appreciate some help with reading them, though. I am unsure of the writing and there have been different interpretations of these letters in the names. <<<

        Please provide religion, village, film #, page number. It is easiest to look at the originals.
      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
          The little phrase after the woman's name is the Latin: Uxor ejus - which just means "his wife", giving the maiden name [or sometimes the previous married name] of a woman after her husband's full name.

          I'm not sure I can read the names better than you since you probably will have to look over several pages to get a good idea of the handwriting of this writer. It is hard to do this with the short samples you give.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "creativelr" <CreativeLR@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm excited to have found these two birth records as they include my GGGma's maiden name.
          >
          > I would appreciate some help with reading them, though. I am unsure of the writing and there have been different interpretations of these letters in the names.
          >
          > photo 4008: Basilius _________? GC (What is Basilius' last name?)
          > Maria Jankanics
          > What is written beneath Maria's name? translation?
          >
          > Joannes Jankanics GC
          > Anna Ba.....? (What is Anna's last name?)
          > what is written below her name? translation?
          >
          > photo 4007 is a broader view, but also includes the sponsors - can someone please read the names? I believe it's Joannes Stefanik and Maria ? Cannot read those last names - Joannes is the sponsor for both Basilius' child and Joannes Jankanics child.
          >
          > photo 4015 (3rd record from bottom) and 4016 (a close up)
          >
          > are a different child, but same parents - Joannes Jankanics and Anna _____? Can you compare with 4008 and tell me her last name? Also, Joannes Stefanik is the sponsor again and with one of the same Maria's as above - again, her last name?
          >

          > Anna Baj..... is my GGGma - and some believed her last name to be Stefanik (maiden) so I am wondering if she was married prior to marrying Jankanics - I'll figure that out in future trips to FHC to go through the book, but ran out of time!
          >
          > Here is the link to the album and photos (Fias Jankanics)

          > Thank you! Linda

        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
            >>> photo 4008: Basilius _________? GC (What is Basilius' last name?) <<<
            Leginy. Accented n in some cases.

            >>> Maria Jankanics
            > What is written beneath Maria's name? translation?

            Marital status in Hungarian

            >>> Joannes Jankanics GC
            > Anna Ba.....? (What is Anna's last name?)
            > what is written below her name? translation? <<<

            My best surname guess is Bajuszati. She was not GC but August Conf.

            >>> photo 4007 is a broader view, but also includes the sponsors - can someone please read the names? I believe it's Joannes Stefanik and Maria ? <<<

            Maria Kacsmar

            > photo 4015 (3rd record from bottom) and 4016 (a close up) are a different child, but same parents - Joannes Jankanics and Anna _____? Can you compare with 4008 and tell me her last name? <<<

            Bajuszati

            >>> Also, Joannes Stefanik is the sponsor again and with one of the same Maria's as above - again, her last name? <<<

            Kacsmar
          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011

              > My best surname guess is Bajuszati. She was not GC but August Conf.

              What is approx year of birth? Assume marriage at age 20. Church records are online.
            • creativelr
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                THANKS! I did find the same pages online, but still no help. Thanks for the spelling of Bajuszanti - that's what I was thinking. But, what does August Conf. mean?

                I only found the two children in the book I took photos of. There were 3 others not in that book. We were told she was Lutheran, but when I go through the books (online at family search) under Evangelical I cannot find her or other kids at all. Anna Bajuszanti's birth year range would be 1849-1855 based on a few pieces of information. I would gladly search page by page but don't know where to look.

                Helena, the first birth record was married in Marhan to a Greek Catholic. Village of Origin for Anna and children range from Marhan, to Koprivnica, to Ol'Sava, to Fias. All seem to be in the same geographic area. Could someone be so kind as to help me with which village to look? I assume I will look in the Evangelical records but have no problem also looking in the Greek Catholic records as Joannes Jankanic was GC. The kids range in birth year from 1868 to 1880 - and Helena - the first record I posted was born in 1876 (right in the middle). The second record was for a Joannes - who we didn't even have as a sibling. I haven't found a death record on him yet, so maybe he survived and also came to the States.

                Linda

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                  >>> Thanks for the spelling of Bajuszanti - that's what I was thinking. But, what does August Conf. mean? . . . We were told she was Lutheran, but when I go through the books . . . under Evangelical I cannot find her or other kids at all. Anna Bajuszanti's birth year range would be 1849-1855 <<<

                  Yes, you have the religion figured out. She may be in Giraltovce. I checked the Evangelical records but did not find her birth record.

                  It's like a detective story. Where will the clues take us next?
                • John
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                    >>> Thanks for the spelling of BAJUSZANTI - that's what I was thinking. <<<

                    In spite of what we see in the church records, this surname bothers me. I have checked every reference I know of and even the shortened Bajus(z) does not appear in the immediate area.

                    How can it appear and then disappear? Was the scribe having a bad day? There is something wrong with this picture!
                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                      Linda,
                      August. Conf. means the same as in the U.S., Augustana Conference of the Lutheran Church. She was Lutheran. In their usage Evangelical usually means the Calvinist church. You should find her birth records in the relevant Lutheran records.

                      Curt B.
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "creativelr" <CreativeLR@...> wrote:

                      > THANKS! I did find the same pages online, but still no help. Thanks for the spelling of Bajuszanti - that's what I was thinking. But, what does August Conf. mean?
                      >
                      > I only found the two children in the book I took photos of. There were 3 others not in that book. We were told she was Lutheran, but when I go through the books (online at family search) under Evangelical I cannot find her or other kids at all. Anna Bajuszanti's birth year range would be 1849-1855 based on a few pieces of information. I would gladly search page by page but don't know where to look.
                      >
                      > Helena, the first birth record was married in Marhan to a Greek Catholic. Village of Origin for Anna and children range from Marhan, to Koprivnica, to Ol'Sava, to Fias. All seem to be in the same geographic area. Could someone be so kind as to help me with which village to look? I assume I will look in the Evangelical records but have no problem also looking in the Greek Catholic records as Joannes Jankanic was GC. The kids range in birth year from 1868 to 1880 - and Helena - the first record I posted was born in 1876 (right in the middle). The second record was for a Joannes - who we didn't even have as a sibling. I haven't found a death record on him yet, so maybe he survived and also came to the States.
                      >
                      > Linda

                      > > > My best surname guess is Bajuszati. She was not GC but August Conf.
                      > >
                      > > What is approx year of birth? Assume marriage at age 20. Church records are online.

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                        One small correction. August. Conf. means "Augustinian Confession," not
                        "Conference."

                        JK

                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:

                        > > > My best surname guess is Bajuszati. She was not GC but August Conf.
                        > >
                        > > What is approx year of birth? Assume marriage at age 20. Church records
                        are online.

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                          Well actually it is here the Latin

                          Confessio Augustana, or in the German - Augsburg.
                          CB