Translation help needed

  • Debbie Maxwell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
      Hi all,
      I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with the translation of this notation that was recorded in the Observatus column of a death record. I've been able to translate a few of the words, but not all. The words below were bracketed beside two names, men who died one day apart. I believe they were brothers-in-law and somehow their deaths were connected. The cause of death for both is listed as ignota, (unknown). I'm hoping the notation will shed some light on what happened.
      Thanks to anyone who can help,
      Debbie

      az alfoldan mint
      arato gazdak
      egy foldbirtokos
      nal - dolgoz?s -
      ott elhahozlak

    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
        what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
        here.

        Joe Armata

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
          > "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
          > what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
          > here.
          >
          > Joe Armata
          >

          > > > alfoldan, I know fold is land, but I haven't been able to figure
          out what
          > > > alfoldan means, it could also be alfololan; then there is gazda
          which is
          > > > landowner, but what is gazdak; dolgoz = worker, but I'm not sure
          what

          Think Joe Armata hit this geographic locator word right on the mark.

          If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
          [words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
          take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]

          (no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)

          mint = like, as

          az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
          'a')

          az alföldön mint

          http://www.britannica.com/seo/l/little-alfold/

          http://www.bekes.hungary.net/alfold2/alfld.htm
        • Imrich Petrov,M.D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
            >>--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Joe Armata <joe@g...> wrote:
            >> "Alfold" is the Great Plains region of Hungary. I don't know
            >> what the -an suffix would mean. That's about all I can contribute
            >> here.
            >>
            >> Joe Armata
            >If Kis-Alföld (Little Hungarian Plain in English) then + ön
            >[words in final syllable with rounded front vowels (ü,u",ö,o")
            >take rounded front (ö) alternate of the three-form Harmonic]
            >(no umlaut type letter ä in Hungarian, so not + än)
            >mint = like, as
            >az = the (if word begins with a vowel, 'az' is used instead of usual
            >'a')

            >az alföldön mint
            AZ ALFÖLDÖN MINT = on the Hungarian Plains as

            ( -ön means "on the")
            Imrich